• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: The Evil Within

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote
I think that with the rise of so-called survival horror where the player character is powerful and armed with all sorts of weaponry came a group of fans of that type of game. The Evil Within is clearly the type of horror game where you're weak and mostly helpless, and this is exactly what those gamers do not want to see. I know someone who works at a startup game company whose first game is supposed to be a horror game, but the original intent was for the player character to be powerful and overwhelming. She was able to talk her coworkers into severely toning down the player character's abilities, though they still don't really understand why that's necessary.

(If you ask me, I think that these gamers are confusing horror for something else. That is, they are not actually fans of true horror, but the horror aesthetic.)

I don't think it's an obvious thing either. There are plenty of people who consume horror media where the protagonist is powerless and never really understand why it's done that way--or people who then overwhelm themselves with feelings of revenge against the attackers. It frustrates me to no end, for instance, that Stern Pinball made an adaptation of The Walking Dead, where the main characters are powerless, and turned it into a zombie-annihilating power fantasy. (In fact, there is a well walker figurine the game encourages you to hit over and over.) It frustrates me more to see that among pinball fans, I am alone in this sentiment, with the rest of them thrilled to have a game where they can have payback against those zombies.

To each their own though.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
A little fun trivia about The Evil Within, the Japanese version of this game even with the "gore mode" DLC setting on, the game is still censored from the US/western version and it has been confirmed by Siliconera and Kotaku. Let me show you:

This is from the US version:

This is the Japanese version with the "gore mode" DLC turned on:

Yeah basically in the Japanese version, the guy with the cleaver is cutting meat (not a human corpse) to make his barbecue steak (I wonder if the guy like his steak medium rare or well-done). Laughing

Also another differences between the US version and the Japanese "gore mode" DLC turned on version:

US version:

Japanese version with "gore mode" DLC turned on:

Yeah basically in the Japanese version, the main character, Sebastian is not blown to bits unlike the US version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2