• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Schedules 1st Space Brothers Blu-ray, DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
So Leviathan gets a dub and Space Brothers doesn't? I see someone here's got their priorities straight as usual.

My thoughts exactly. Like, I don't get their modus operandi anymore. In the early days their dubbing choices made a little more sense with more decidedly lesser known and niche titles clearly not getting dubs because they may not make their money back and would have greater losses if they were dubbed, but here they are stuck with Leviathan which--as far as I know--NO ONE cared about and was getting rather poor reception, yet here we get a dub for that, but Space Bros which people have been raving about as some modern classic that is sure to get good returns gets no dub when it could be beneficial to those dub enthusiasts. It's like they're digging their own graves, like come on Sentai.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
they go back and dub shows that performed well. So enough people bought the show or watched it on CR or TAN. granted, expectations for this title were probably low, but a pass is still a pass. who knows what happened with the licensing hell Space Bros was in for two years
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Heck yeah, Space Brothers! SO HAPPY to hear this! I thought it'd die in licensing hell. TT^TT
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
digidragon wrote:
CatSword wrote:
It's about time. Didn't Sentai announce the Space Brothers license like two years ago?

Article says 2012. Specifically July 2012, so yeah, over 2 years.
At least they didn't promise "home video release in 2013" or "home video release in 2014" like they have with many shows (only to release them a year or two afterwards), possibly because the show had just started airing at the time.

FrameFreeze100 wrote:
Golgo 13 = (50 episodes)

Phi Brain: Puzzle of God S1 + S2 = (50 episodes) *will dethrone Golgo when season 3 is dubbed --> 75 episodes

Clannad + After Story = (49 episodes)

Hakuoki S1 + S2 + S3 + OVAs = (40 episodes)
But those were all multi-part shows where they could dub part of it, wait a while to see how the sales did, and then proceed to the next season. If they start dubbing Space Brothers and the sales tank, they're going to have a lot of pissed off fans who'd be getting maybe 26 episodes dubbed and 73 episodes sub-only.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea that they'd even licensed Space Brothers, but I'm definitely buying it. I never had a chance to watch it myself, but I've heard so many good things about it that I pretty much have to buy it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I would have been much more surprised if they had decided to dub Space Brothers. Not only is the show longer than most they have dubbed so far, but these are also the same people that were badly burned by Moonlight Mile a few years back. I can understand why they would be cautious with it. Not to mention, I don't believe it's been picked up in any other English language countries, so Sentai doesn't have anyone to help with production costs.

As for Leviathan, I'm also surprised that is getting a dub. However, it's a short show and the license was likely cheap. It's also possible the show performed better than expected, or we may see anouncements for Australia or the UK soon.

The rest of the subtitle only shows were pretty much expected. They weren't exacty huge hits, and Sentai tends to go light on their February releases.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I just want the Space Brothers manga to come out in print...

A dub would be great, but I understand their hesitancy. 99 eps of a mature adult drama--the wrong type of "mature adult" at that! LOL! Too bad. But if it sells well...
jtron

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Super excited for Hozuki! I stream stuff and rarely buy DVDs or Blu-rays lately but I would throw down for a fancy preorder of this. Plus I'll finally get a translation for the opening song!
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
SquidmemberRitsu wrote:
So Leviathan gets a dub and Space Brothers doesn't? I see someone here's got their priorities straight as usual.

Angel'sArcanum wrote:
In the early days their dubbing choices made a little more sense with more decidedly lesser known and niche titles clearly not getting dubs.....

4 words. LONG DUBS ARE EXPENSIVE!!!

Good lord, I know DragonRider_Cody hopped here to set things straight. But I think these people will just constantly beat the dead horse anyway.

But these so called, "dub enthusiests." Or foreign anime users outside the U.S. need to understand that Sentai does'nt have the liquid money that Funimation has to dub over One Peice episodes in a mediocritic manner.

Quote:
*FIX* which--as far as I know--NO ONE ON THE ANN FORUMS MINOR USERBASE cared about and was getting rather poor reception BY ANN FORUM MINOR USERBASE,

Sentai Filmworks generally dubs titles in two ways now.

1. (The Oldschool Way) - they get earnings from multiple english speaking contries to count in the expenses for the dub release.

2. (Cheap buy, let it fly) - The license was so cheap that they could have expense paid off with just releasing a dub in it. Or it was a staff favorite.

There longest dubbed show is Phi-Brain now, but given the popularity the show has along with its release in multiple seasons. It was a safer bet to dub. Space Brothers is sadly only praised by a few people. Since licensing companies would have to listen to the shabby majority that praise AOT up the ass. This show on the other hand has much more adult comedy and styles that are not reconizable or immature for people that usually whatch Highschool Slice of Life. And its 99 episode list with references of real life events, characters or companies that would probably result in Serephim Digital to either:

A: Go the crappy Funi route in Devil is a Part Timer and just constantly say Rcdonalds or sub-par culture refferences without license fees to pay along with a weak script.

B: Or just release the title subbed and see how sales go for the physical discs. If high, they will go back and dub it while also paying for any extra fees of references or casings.

I will for sure buy these releases to show that I want this dubbed.

There is a famous lyrical saying, "LISTEN TO THE MONEY TALK!" Word of mouth on a title does not mean each and every person will buy it or stream it. Plus Sentai can do an exchange program.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised Space Brothers isn't getting dubbed, and the reason why is because I think it won't do well.

No, really. Sure, fans know about it, but to others, it's a 100 episode series that's really not very "anime" at all (in its premise, at least...). After what happened with Monster, I don't see a future of success in the west for Space Bros.

It's overrated anyway.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't blame Sentai in taking long with Space Brothers but I don't see a licensing issue, I think they tried to get a joint dub operation going but couldn't get anything to work out.

So it'd be 7-8 BD and DVD releases over a period of a year or two of a show already two years old? And people expect Sentai will go back and release 4 collections if the sales are there? In the middle? At the end?

It's not impossible, it's just improbable because this releasing sounds more like resignation to me; "This is great... what the hell are we going to do with it?"

Dubbed Levithan? Good, it's a cute, short show, Space Brothers could have learned a thing or two about "brevity".
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Kind of shame the Space Bothers wont get dub but cant wait to see Leviathan dubbed
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
Golgo 13 = (50 episodes)

Phi Brain: Puzzle of God S1 + S2 = (50 episodes) *will dethrone Golgo when season 3 is dubbed --> 75 episodes

Clannad + After Story = (49 episodes)

Hakuoki S1 + S2 + S3 + OVAs = (40 episodes)

Ah, right...
Thanks for the info! Smile
Maybe they'll dub Space Brothers one day when there's enough demand.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

A: Go the crappy Funi route in Devil is a Part Timer and just constantly say Rcdonalds or sub-par culture refferences without license fees to pay along with a weak script.

As far as I know, the Japanese version of Devil is a Part Timer never dared to actually use the name "McDonald's", so why would Funi?

(And that was a smart move. McDonald's can be extremely litigious in protecting their name world wide. I've heard they even threatened lawsuits against people with the last name McDonald who dared name their food related business after themselves!).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
While it's likely not going to happen, should Space Bros get dubbed, I'd like for the younger bro to be dubbed by the dub voice of GX's Judai since his counterpart was the voice of both.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4