• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Schedules 1st Space Brothers Blu-ray, DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RANGIT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:55 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Tell me more about how Chiho's cap says "McDonald's" and not "MgRonald" or anything like that.

The English dub does make use of "MgRonald's" and while I think that you're just conveying sarcasm, it's better to clear it up for those who aren't aware.

As for Space Brothers. Man, I wanted that to get an English dub. It would have been very fitting since a part of it was in Houston.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
Of course the good anime is subbed while the shitty moe anime gets a dub. I [expletive] hate this industry.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
This anime is eight times longer than whatever strawman moe title you're setting up, and maybe doesn't have the same kind of "I need to buy discs" appeal that could guarantee a dub. Be glad you're even getting the whole thing, it could have been another Monster.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
This anime is eight times longer than whatever strawman moe title you're setting up, and maybe doesn't have the same kind of "I need to buy discs" appeal that could guarantee a dub. Be glad you're even getting the whole thing, it could have been another Monster.

Strawman? Setting up? I am talking about that shitty moe crap Leviathan but all moe anime is shitty. Its the cancer that's killing the industry. Also I am not glad I am getting the entirety of space bros. Having it being subbed only is the same thing as not getting it at all.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Be glad you're even getting the whole thing, it could have been another Monster.

ADV is guaranteeing a release of the whole series, even if sales are low, and get lower as the releases progress? I wonder how many people won't buy it until Space Brothers is fully released, just to be sure that they don't end up with an incomplete series.

I enjoyed watching most of it (the incredibly poor setup for spoiler[the crisis on the moon] had me disliking that particular arc, even though it was just the setup that bothered me) via Crunchyroll, but I'm not sure if I really have the desire to rewatch the series. I might buy it, but that could be as a gift for a friend.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Strawman? Setting up? I am talking about that shitty moe crap Leviathan but all moe anime is shitty. Its the cancer that's killing the industry.

Surely now this is only a joke? Confused
Make no mistake, I'm a bit bummed out that Space Brothers isn't getting an English version myself, but I don't see how using "moe" as a scapegoat is going to make any change to that...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
It's a zero sum game. While moe lives, Space Bros cannot.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I think some folks are forgetting that Leviathan already has a bluray release from Sentai.

Know what it means if they're going back to make a new dubbed version? It means the subbed version sold enough to warrant that happening.

Moe is the vaccine that's keeping the industry alive!
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Whether a show has been received well, or has had good reviews, is no guarantee that it will sell well, even with a dub. There have been plenty of critically and fan acclaimed series that have bombed for one reason or another.
So does that means shows that almost no one talks about with no previous niche audience are going to sell like hotcakes? I hadn't even heard of Shiawase no Pan before Sentai picked it up and I have no interest in watching the show anyway.

I don't even know why they're dubbing Leviathan. Sure shows like Hidamari Sketch, Yuyushiki, Kiniro Mosaic and Non Non Biyori are pretty niche but I can guarantee you there was a hell of a lot more discussion about them than Leviathan or any of those otome game adaptations and they also happen to be split up into 12-3 episode seasons. Plus even when there was discussion about those shows it was usually mocking. I doubt they're the audience who's going to spring for a $70 barebones release of the series with a crap English dub.

Quote:
Also, the shows you listed as ones you considered not have significant followings have one thing that Space Brothers lack. They have distributors in the UK and Australia in most cases, so they are other companies to help cover expenses. That actually could have been part of the reason that Space Brothers was held up for so long. Perhaps Sentai was trying to find partners to work with on the show, but was unsuccessful.
I don't think that has anything to do with it. There's plenty of shows that have been picked up for an Australian release when they were airing and still got a barebones sub only release. Mayo Chiki, Crime Edge, Waiting in the Summer plus Dog & Scissors was going to get a sub only release in Australia until Madman quietly and abruptly cancelled it when Sentai made the genius decision to give the series an English Dub months after the sub only release. I wouldn't be surprised if the Blu-ray was region locked.

Mayo Chiki eventually did get an English dub but they region locked the Blu-ray. From what I've been told the contract they make with the big guys up in Japan gives them the right to put the English dub on their release so I don't think Sentai made the decision to give it a dub based off of the sales from over here.

Quote:
Plus, titles aren't completely interchangeable for one another. Just because you consider Space Brothers more popular here in the US than say Amnesia, doesn't mean it will ultimately be more profitable. Leviathan, Amnesia, and the rest were all considerably shorter than Space Brothers, so the dubbing costs will also be much less. Diabolik lovers is half the length of a half cour show, so costs in that case were even lower. Not to mention a longer show is also going to be more expensive to acquire, especially one that became fairly popular in Japan like Space Brothers.
I doubt the sales of those shows would be affected too much just because it didn't have a shitty Sentai dub. Sure it's not much on its own but they've dubbed a lot of those shows so its got to add up.

Instead of dubbing all those short, cheap shows with almost no interest they should save their money by giving them sub only releases and put their resources into giving better English dubs for more popular shows.[/quote]

Quote:
Also, I can't believe you brought up lip flaps as a complaint and said they should match 90-100% of the time. Really? I have never seen a show in English, or Japanese for that matter, that matched 100% of the time. The way the audio is recorded makes that almost impossible. Some shows are better than others, but i don't see how lip flaps are indicative of quality, especially when dealing with translating from a foreign language as different from English as Japanese. Hell, my fiancé was making fun of the mismatched lip flaps on Attack on Titan the other night, and that's one of the better ones I've seen as far as matching flaps.
No, they never match up 100% of the time. But whereas dubs by pretty much everyone else are anywhere from the high 80s to about mid 90%, most Sentai dubs are a low 70% at best. I'm not too critical of stuff like that but that but it's far more noticeable in Sentai dubs than anyone else's.

Although to be honest that is the absolute least of their problems. The biggest problems would the lazy translation, horribly misguided casting choices and incredibly sub par voice acting. I greatly respect the hard work that goes into creating English dubs but Sentai to a far, far lesser degree. In my eyes Sentai are practically enemies to English dubbing. This year we've gotten great dubs like Kill la Kill and The Devil is a Part Timer from other companies which manged to perfectly capture the tone of the series with minimal awkwardness yet Sentai are still screwing up like amateurs.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:21 am Reply with quote
Your opinions on dubbing and casting choices are just that, your opinions. I personally find Funimation to be the absolute worst when it comes to casting. Some of the voice choices in Attack on Titan still make me cringe when they talk, an it's nowhere nearly awful as some of the truly terrible dubs they've put out over the years.

And I never said a niche show was guaranteed to "sell like hot cakes". I simply pointed out that there have been many critically acclaimed shows that failed to sell, and there have been plenty of terrible shows that have sold really well. Not to mention, you have to factor in things like the licensing cost, whether or not the show can be sublicensed in other markets, and whether other companies are willing to share costs. You were attempting to make it a very simple issue where only the shows online popularity determines what gets dubbed and what doesn't.

Plus, Sentai wouldn't get anywhere if it skipped out on dubbing smaller, potentionally more profitable titles, used the money to dub a longer, better known show, but it still didn't sell enough to make money. And as I said, ADV was already burned in the past by Moonlight Mile, so it makes sense that same people would be leery of a show with a similar premise. A lot of people were surprised that it was picked up in the first place.

And as for bringing up Shining Hearts, that show came out during a period when Sentai was literally dubbing almost every show they put out. The only exceptions were continuations of shows where previous seasons were released subonly.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Also I am not glad I am getting the entirety of space bros. Having it being subbed only is the same thing as not getting it at all.
If the show was that worthless to you subbed, I doubt a Sentai subtitle script readthrough audio track would improve it all that much.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
About time !!! Has been almost 3 years since they sad they where gonna do it.
But no Dub ... i was actually looking forward to seeing it dubbed Rolling Eyes

And if Nasa where smart they could have gotten there hands in it because this is a serious Space science series !!!
But since there is not even going to be a Dub forget about appealing to anyone other then anime fans in the grand scale.

The thing is that because there was that huge spike in new Anime fans as the end of the 90s who have become more familiarised with the medium to the point where a lot of them watch it subbed, either because they prefer it, watch it simulcast or there is no dub. Licenses can afford to release titles without a dub, which is not entity bad since it allows series with low interest to come over. But as you said it won't appeal to anyone outside of the fandom.

If is was dubbed and they were able to persuade some network to put it on at peak time it could be a hit and get more people into the medium like the brief period mentioned before, but alas it is just a pipe dream.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
I'm not sure if I really have the desire to rewatch the series.

I'm with you. And if I did decide to watch it again, I'd just use Crunchyroll. I certainly cannot imagine buying 6-7 boxsets of Space Brothers, as much as I enjoyed the show the first time. Since I never watch dubs, Sentai's releasing it as sub-only doesn't enter into my decision.

Sadly I'm probably the sort of person who Sentai hopes will buy SB to make it profitable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4