• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gundam Build Fighters Try

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One more crazy theory: what if Sei and China are in space right now?

Nah they're just in Europe I think, the mini-episode between seasons had the two of them in Paris so that's probably it (funny note however, someone pointed out to me a few weeks ago that if you look carefully at Reiji's world when he goes back in the final episodes it looks like he's living on a space station colony!). I was surprised that Sei was watching the tournament and didn't mention to China at least that he recognized Sekai's gunpla quite well....
laureninspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Quote:
One more crazy theory: what if Sei and China are in space right now?

Nah they're just in Europe I think, the mini-episode between seasons had the two of them in Paris so that's probably it (funny note however, someone pointed out to me a few weeks ago that if you look carefully at Reiji's world when he goes back in the final episodes it looks like he's living on a space station colony!). I was surprised that Sei was watching the tournament and didn't mention to China at least that he recognized Sekai's gunpla quite well....

Yeah... I saw that mini-ep as well. Also, how could Sei get reception to watch the tournament in space. BUT I CAN DREAM.
Davy0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
GaoGaiGar FINAL Opening - Let's be honest, those who knew this series, knows what song they were hearing when the showed the beasts transforming. Honesty, always the best policy.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
laureninspace wrote:
Yeah... I saw that mini-ep as well. Also, how could Sei get reception to watch the tournament in space. BUT I CAN DREAM.

This is a show where people had crystals that could teleport them, and you're worried it would be unrealistic to have reception in space?

Maybe it is just they're in Europe, but with how Yuuma had to go take his call outside and how they didn't really give details, seemed like they were being intentionally too secretive and vague for something that simple. I mean sure the other two were watching tv, so leaving the room seemed normal, but was the content of that call really such that you would walk all the way outside to a secluded tree and not just take it in the hall? I was thinking maybe they're on Reiji's world. I don't know how they could watch and call from there... but hey, teleporting...

Quote:
More than any other, G-Gundam strays from the typical Gundam military realism formula.

Does it though? The characters and their motivations along with how the different countries and their military act fits in fine with other series. I mean sure the fights are very shonen'ish and Domon basically can go super saiyan along with his gundam. But gundam is a franchise that has had crazy super powers starting at least in Z Gundam. Camille can essentially spoiler[block a beam with the power of his mind.] Lets not forget the absurd stuff the fully powered up Unicorn did at the very end either.

How about if I describe 00 as spoiler['An artificially created race of super humans works to prepare mankind to confront the imminent alien threat.'] That sounds far more fantasy and more in line with the plots of super robot series than the plots of gundam imo.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16 was certainly super funny to watch.

spoiler[I think alot people would miss what actual show GBFT is paroding. Tryon 3 mobile suit is play on The Unchallengeable Daitarn 3, that show's robot paint scheme matches Tryon 3. I for some for some insane reason watched entire Dailtarn series and i can say soundly that it is play on that. I won't recommend the show, its parody show making fun of genre with mix of 007 and Giant Robots, and not in way your thinking! Other show it reflecting is Dancouga - Super Beast Machine God with it's trinity of mini-mecha bouncing around and merging. Shia's mobile suit properly breaks the game if she can school energy weapons and missiles like their standing still. With all other craziness in that episode, it pure fun to watch. ]
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Quote:
More than any other, G-Gundam strays from the typical Gundam military realism formula.

Does it though? The characters and their motivations along with how the different countries and their military act fits in fine with other series.

I second this, while G Gundam seems wacky and unrelated, out of the AU universes is is perhaps the most like UC series. spoiler[Compare, Master Asia's reasons for what he does, to make the Earth uninhabitable because we're ruining it, thus forcing mankind off the planet so it can recover; and Char's desire to drop Axis on Earth to...make it uninhabitable by mankind to force humans off the planet so that it can recover in our absence. Environmentalism and such! ]
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I second this, while G Gundam seems wacky and unrelated, out of the AU universes is is perhaps the most like UC series.

Yeah, it really doesn't do much to break the mold aside from the actual mechanics they use in the fights. Really the only AU to truly break the mold (BF aside) is Hurrr Alien Invasion Gundam.

Quote:
All I need to know is why things do what they do, not how. Plavsky particles interact with the Gunpla plastic to make them act real in battles. I don't need to know where they come from. I'm here for awesome robot fights!

I agree. They shouldn't bother because it just sounds ridiculous. I would have hand waved the reason how it works anyway. Now I am also hand waving their crappy explanation.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Now, the triplets diagnosing Sekai's ability is questionable for another reason on ethical grounds. They realize that Sekai receives physical damage when he assimilates with his Gunpla, and their goal is to take advantage of that. “If you simply bent the Gunpla's joints backwards, the fighter would suffer severe pain.” Does this make the triplets evil?

Sweep the leg!

I found this episode a bit dumber than most. The triplets used some clever traps, but also some deliberately stupid ones. Like why give Fumina aspoiler[ 60 second timer to escape the bomb, instead of just detonating it by remote like the other bombs, or at least on a five second timer?
]

More importantly, why did they even go into the castle? They are under no obligation to play the enemy's game, and the stage is the entire map, not just where the enemy wants to be. Jump camp outside in a sniper position and go for a draw if the enemy won't come outside. Or even better, have Sekai just annihilate the entire castle with them inside using his Dark Phoenix attack. I suppose in retrospect they could then try to use their absorbatron thing on it, but even if that allowed them to ride out the attack, the castle would have been gone.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
Denial Gundam seems odd development, how could there been a different version of Build Burning unless Lori was mass producing the thing or taught his craft to someone else.

Episode 20 I suspect will see their a greater power than individual combat, it's Team work. Sekai maybe ace, but ace can't hold the team up completely. Entire show been on team work, aside from personal growth of the characters falling down getting back up for more.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

More importantly, why did they even go into the castle? They are under no obligation to play the enemy's game, and the stage is the entire map, not just where the enemy wants to be. Jump camp outside in a sniper position and go for a draw if the enemy won't come outside. Or even better, have Sekai just annihilate the entire castle with them inside using his Dark Phoenix attack. I suppose in retrospect they could then try to use their absorbatron thing on it, but even if that allowed them to ride out the attack, the castle would have been gone.

This is a manly tears series. Where noble characters rule the roost, and fair sportsmanship is the real deal. Your question makes no sense, it's like asking why didn't the triplets break the legs of team try fighters before the fight ? Problem solved.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Denial Gundam seems odd development, how could there been a different version of Build Burning unless Lori was mass producing the thing or taught his craft to someone else.

The triplets managed to copy one of Star Build Strike's moves. Its entirely possible that some one managed to copy another one.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Ohoni wrote:

This is a manly tears series. Where noble characters rule the roost, and fair sportsmanship is the real deal. Your question makes no sense, it's like asking why didn't the triplets break the legs of team try fighters before the fight ? Problem solved.

Its amazing how few people get this. Then again considering how brooding anti heroes are all the rage these days it probably wouldn't matter. I still get a kick out of the hot blooded big damn heroes these days, especially cause it can feel so damn rare. It's refreshing to still be able to see that sort of good old fashioned fun in shows.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Its amazing how few people get this. Then again considering how brooding anti heroes are all the rage these days it probably wouldn't matter. I still get a kick out of the hot blooded big damn heroes these days, especially cause it can feel so damn rare. It's refreshing to still be able to see that sort of good old fashioned fun in shows.

Modern fandom was brought up on post-Eva animes. Real heroes were out, cynism was in. Everything had to be dark, realistic, uncertain, shitty. No more ideals, no more love for the future. Gundam Build Fighters Try is not like that. It's like watching Hokuto no Ken without the blood. Courage and idealism all the way.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

There's cheating and there's sensible tactics. Nobody is expecting the Try Fighters to do anything underhanded, but there's nothing underhanded about refusing to walk into an enemy's trap. Don't try to make it out as somehow "cynical" that I bring this up.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

There's cheating and there's sensible tactics. Nobody is expecting the Try Fighters to do anything underhanded, but there's nothing underhanded about refusing to walk into an enemy's trap. Don't try to make it out as somehow "cynical" that I bring this up.

The castle is not the enemy's trap. It is the arena. Both teams have to play in there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7