• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chaika - The Coffin Princess Avenging Battle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8
Quote:
Red Chaika and David are essentially taken out by two non-lethal spells and a nasty scratch, which is tough to believe in light of their past exploits.

I think she had an ulterior motive, since even David was having a hard time believing her surrender. Maybe it's as trite as not wanting to see Toru hurt, but I hope not.

Am I the only one who wants this to end with the revelation that Gaz was actually a good guy? Very Happy Each episode makes it harder to see how they could get there, but I keep hoping he had some master plan for long-lasting peace or something that redeems him. I guess I just want Chaika's pure desire to give him a decent burial to not be wasted on a war-mongering monster.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Am I the only one who wants this to end with the revelation that Gaz was actually a good guy? Very Happy Each episode makes it harder to see how they could get there, but I keep hoping he had some master plan for long-lasting peace or something that redeems him. I guess I just want Chaika's pure desire to give him a decent burial to not be wasted on a war-mongering monster.

No, you're not. I've felt that way since almost the beginning. I noticed that hardly anyone had ever interacted with Gaz directly, and we're not told a lot about *why* the other countries spent so much time and effort fighting his Empire. We only see the results, and those certainly don't paint a very good picture of the "good guys".

However, we've left the path of the manga now, and I suspect the anime writers lack the subtlety (or maybe the permission) to go the "Gax was a good guy all along" route. It's too bad, because I liked the set-up in the earlier chapters and the way the narrative left that whole issue up-in-the-air for those who were paying attention.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
True, episode 8 had a fast pace, but I will give it a bit of a pass because this season would have only 10 episodes, and the major questions are being answered. I hope the good guys (including Red Chaika and Vivi; I have a soft spot for them) emerge in good shape (alive and well).

Grade: B+
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
True, episode 8 had a fast pace, but I will give it a bit of a pass because this season would have only 10 episodes, and the major questions are being answered. I hope the good guys (including Red Chaika and Vivi; I have a soft spot for them) emerge in good shape (alive and well).

Grade: B+

I hope so too. I've also greatly enjoyed watching Red Chaika (and her group) and Vivi and those guys. Even the little things like towards the end of the escape the moment Red Chaika got her real sword back instead of the simple sword she was using at the time I was like "awww yeah, watch out bad guys!". I really like how they developed the different groups of characters over the course of the show.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Quote:
But no, they just stand around

My thoughts exactly! You guys have to do something!

Well hopefully everyone will get their ducks in a row in time for a sure-to-be-epic-at-one-point-or-another-finale!
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 was pretty fantastic. Sure everyone stands around and watches in horror, but the rest of the episode was really well put together, and brought all of the questions we had to an end. I'm hoping the conclusion can wrap up all of this without feeling rushed...
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not like Tohru and Akari had any weapons left. Besides, that Shin person was already too much for the team to handle when they were fully equipped. The fact that the other teams didn't do much, is a bit weirder.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 (Grade: B+) was very explosive. The final revelation was predictable, but Chaika's biggest strength has always been fun banter and action, not strong writing. And I just want a happy ending for the good guys, and I think episode 10 should be able to wrap up things nicely.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, to be fair, what they were watching was pretty shocking. And it was worth it in a ridiculously satisfying way, just to see Shin not looking smugly calm, cool and collected for once. Smile

While it would provide interesting conflict, it's hard to see how Shin could land on Gaz's side. I know he likes war and all, but the person who hired him is dead now, his contract is fulfilled, and I somehow don't see Gaz needing to put him on the payroll. If he were going to back Gaz, he would have already done so in Gaz's last incarnation (which I don't think he did, did he?).

So much for redemption I guess. I'm glad we had disposable Black Chaika around to do the deed, so White Chaika didn't have to be drafted. Now, if they'll just hurry up and dump the Bobbsey Twins... Even in a world chock-full of counterfeit Chaikas, they seem like fakes.
Via_01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
B+. This episode was great, despite the whole "standing there" issue.

Yeah, the thing that always bothered me from Chaika was that there was never a proper villain around. By "proper" I mean a villain that wasn't just "mad doctor" or "crazy kid". Gaz is certainly the biggest threat ever, and he actually has a goal. I can't wait to see the resolution to the conflict.

Oh, as a side note: maybe it'll be something like the final confrontation the 8 Heroes had with Gaz years ago. There are a lot of varied fighters there counting White Chaika's, Red Chaika's and Guillette's group, after all.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

This show has been my life this year, I became obsessed with it and have seen every episode, bar the latest one, at least twice. I found the conclusion to be pretty solid, but I can agree that I wish we could have seen the results of Toru and Chaika's actions.

But besides that, there really isn't much to complain about in this series. If only it were an episode or two longer it could have been a masterpiece. Although it's still my favorite anime of the year.

Now I'm eagerly anticipating the OVA which might serve as an extended epilogue with fanservice thrown in for good measure.

It definitely deserves a great physical release and an A list dub, because it could definitely be a good gateway anime. Which you can never have too much of!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Episode 10

This show has been my life this year, I became obsessed with it and have seen every episode, bar the latest one, at least twice. I found the conclusion to be pretty solid, but I can agree that I wish we could have seen the results of Toru and Chaika's actions.

But besides that, there really isn't much to complain about in this series. If only it were an episode or two longer it could have been a masterpiece. Although it's still my favorite anime of the year.

Now I'm eagerly anticipating the OVA which might serve as an extended epilogue with fanservice thrown in for good measure.

It definitely deserves a great physical release and an A list dub, because it could definitely be a good gateway anime. Which you can never have too much of!

I agree fully with this. It was a little bit of a let down but overall still fantastic. It deserves an A list dub but sadly those don't exist anymore.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10 (Grade: B+) offers a conclusion with enough closure. It was not as satisfying as I wanted it to be, but it got the job done. I agree that the ending has some things that were too convenient, but I will let it slide. Both seasons of Chaika were fun, and I am pleased that they exist.

Paul Jensen wrote:
With a good English dub and a release on physical media, it could make for a fine introductory series.

Let us hope the folks at Sentai give this series the release it deserves with a well produced dub, and a nice collector's edition would be very nice too.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
With the Conclusionof Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle, I can make one statement to sum it up:

It is a well written show of a very established genre that runs into problems at its final episode due to time.

The last episode was not that great compared to what came before but it wrapped up all the major plot points and ended the show in a satisfying way

The one question is this: from what I heard, due to poor sales and low views in Japan, the budget was cut and so three episodes had to be compressed into one. Can anyone confirm this.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Series really needed just one more episode to keep the ending from feeling so rush. It's been a fun ride, but the ending came so abruptly I had to wonder where the rest was.

Also, Toru is kinda not that great at the whole hero thing. Sure, he's a great fighter when it comes to taking on above average fighters, but he's hopeless against the overwhelming fighters that most shonen hero types get to play the underdog card against. Even after his super amazing power up he still gets his ass kicked by his brother (who clearly went easy on him since he never did his steel transformation), only winning thanks to extend-o swords, and then gets completely decimated by Gaz without really doing anything to him. Aside from fast healing and a tail and those swords he really didn't gain the kind of super power you would have expected.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5