• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Parasyte -the maxim-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
Episode 21- Sex and Spirit

I guess not much killing in episode 21 then.

That is most likely just another horrible translation. 性 also means 'nature'. As in 'a person's nature' not the outdoor kind. I mean the kanji can be used the other way, but given the context of this series...

Oh, and that second kanji doesn't mean spirit either. I think this one is a little less clear on what they were going for, however afaik it doesn't ever translate to spirit. It is most often translated as 'holy' but that seems wrong here. Maybe 'pure'. That sounds a little awkward still, but hey, thats why I'm not a professional translator.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
That Samurai wrote:
I really hate these reviewers on here, they hate the popular shows but give these under the radar undeserved praise smh

Just because a show is popular does not mean it's a quality show. There are plenty popular shows that still are honestly not that good of a show in terms of quality. And vice versa. If you want someone to simply tell you what you want to hear about a show just talk in front of a mirror is my suggestion.
That Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
That Samurai wrote:
I really hate these reviewers on here, they hate the popular shows but give these under the radar undeserved praise smh

Just because a show is popular does not mean it's a quality show. There are plenty popular shows that still are honestly not that good of a show in terms of quality. And vice versa. If you want someone to simply tell you what you want to hear about a show just talk in front of a mirror is my suggestion.

im not saying the popularity of a series determines its quality and no i dont want every reviewers on this site to agree with me, but I am noticing a trend that lesser known shows are getting higher ratings than more popular shows.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
That Samurai wrote:

The problem is that you're using an arbitrary and subjective word like "quality" to premise your stand. If there's no such thing as objectivity in reviews, even though many strive for it, then how can we review it fairly or come to a consensus if a show is good or not? My answer is that different people with different tastes and preferences will rate shows differently and we need to try to see things from other people's perspectives in order to give a more well-rounded review. Many reviewers don't do this and the review ends up being one-sided, biased and condescending (for instance, a conservative person reviewing an ecchi show).
azazel13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
That Samurai wrote:

My sentiments exactly. Which is why I no longer read ANN reviews as often as I used to.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
This is hilarious. Tens and tens of from positive enough to great reviews of this show, it comes one negative (the only one this show has had so far), and "uhhh you hate popular things your opinion is wrong really hate you all" / "NOW that you are being negative is when I come to criticize your overall system of only one reviewer instead of 10 for each show with average score because the purpose of these reviews is of course stamping a score for this show for eternity".

If the site did put shows to reviewers who hate them already I would see reasons for complaining, but when they are being most of the time positive and trying to bring as much discussion and paragraphs analyzing the show as they can? If they come out negative in some episodes it must be for some reason that at least is worth paying attention, and the reviewer gave his reasons, take them whatever you want but at least now you know "the reviewer who liked the show before for different reasons (emotion, dialogue, action, characters, themes, etc.) couldn't get into this one in neither of those. Whatever I think, this episode can have some argumented enough polarity", you gained some informed opinion about the elements of that episode that you would decide how to take them. But no "Oh so this episode sucks and I should hate it too or I won't have a good universal acceptable taste".

Last edited by justsomeaccount on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
azazel13 wrote:
That Samurai wrote:

My sentiments exactly. Which is why I no longer read ANN reviews as often as I used to.

I am the complete opposite of this view. More than 90% of the reviews are well reasoned, well edited, and often point out things I didn't realize or didn't catch.

On those relatively rare occasions where I happen to disagree, it give me something to post about. And then some other long term poster can challenge me and I can correct their mistakes.

It is not as if any ANN moderator ever went to suppress dissent is it? Do you guys read reviews only for validation of your preferences and get upset when you don't get it?
That Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
This is hilarious. Tens and tens of from positive enough to great reviews of this show, it comes one negative (the only one this show has had so far), and "uhhh you hate popular things your opinion is wrong really hate you all" / "NOW that you are being negative is when I come to criticize your overall system of only one reviewer instead of 10 for each show with average score because the purpose of these reviews is of course stamping a score for this show for eternity".

If the site did put shows to reviewers who hate them already I would see reasons for complaining, but when they are being most of the time positive and trying to bring as much discussion and paragraphs analyzing the show as they can? If they come out negative in some episodes it must be for some reason that at least is worth paying attention, and the reviewer gave his reasons, take them whatever you want but at least now you know "the reviewer who liked the show before for different reasons (emotion, dialogue, action, characters, themes, etc.) couldn't get into this one in neither of those. Whatever I think, this episode can have some argumented enough polarity", you gained some informed opinion about the elements of that episode that you would decide how to take them. But no "Oh so this episode sucks and I should hate it too or I won't have a good universal acceptable taste".

Go check out Hope's Psycho Pass 2 reviews
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I know those reviews, and you know what? She didn't start it hating it, she was fairly critical in some aspects but optimist about the good things and hoping it would recover, and bringing always arguments. Then around episode 6 it goes too far for the reviewer and it's criticized that way, and they are still argumented or even trying to note the few good points the reviewer found. Nothing different.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
I know those reviews, and you know what? She didn't start it hating it, she was fairly critical in some aspects but optimist about the good things and hoping it would recover, and bringing always arguments. Then around episode 6 it goes too far for the reviewer and it's criticized that way, and they are still argumented or even trying to note the few good points the reviewer found. Nothing different.

The only problem there is Hope very wrongly misinterpreted several things (which a lot of people thought were clear) and then proceeded to hate on the episodes in the review because of a misunderstanding on Hope's part. Not the markings of a quality review. I wasn't a fan of the second season either, but ranting about stuff in the review that didn't actually happen shouldn't be acceptable no matter how bad the content being reviewed is (oh hey which reminds me of all those preview guide reviews where most of the ones for a certain show reviewed the episode under the pretense that it had a rape which never actually occured).

I don't really agree with this ep's review, but I don't really have a problem as he didn't misrepresent the content, and you don't like what you don't like. He was fair in his explanation of what happened, but he just didn't like it. However, I am confused because in the ep 19 review he said:

Quote:
It's looking like the final arc of Parasyte will be heavy on the action spectacle, which I am all for.

That doesn't seem at all consistent with the blasting he gave episode 20 and isn't really explained. I mean there were some specific gripes in the ep 20 review, but all of those were set up in ep 19 (or earlier) which was not only reviewed more favorably but the review specifically expressed a positive outlook.

To me, ep 20 played out pretty much exactly as I expected (aside from the part where the shotgun pellets got thrown back). I really want to know what Nick expected when he was anticipating this ep favorably. The beating us over the head with the "who are the monsters now" question didn't start in ep 20. It has been going on for a bit now so to really knock this ep more than the others for that also seems unfair. The fact that the cop's plan was ludicrous and absolutely going to fail likewise seemed pretty well established in ep 19.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
That Samurai wrote:

So wait, this Parasyte review is what set you off? 13 out of 20 episodes where given an A- to A+ grades, 4 B+ grades, 2 B grades, and one C- grade. How is this hating popular shows? Must every episode be an A for you otherwise the reviewer is "hating" on it?

Actar wrote:
Many reviewers don't do this and the review ends up being one-sided, biased and condescending (for instance, a conservative person reviewing an ecchi show).

I'm not sure I'm ready to lump the reviewers on this site with some Fox News like conservative cabal. Theron Martin is pretty appreciative of fan-service shows, Bamboo Dong has been positive of ecchi shows like Ikki Tousen, Carl Kimlinger (who just left recently) commented positively on the fan-service in Nisemonogatari and other shows in the series, even Hope Chapman who strongly disliked Cross-Ange liked High School of the Dead. What I'm trying to say is that you are painting with a broad stroke here. Reviewers are people and everyone has different limits on what they can stomach. The same reviewer that likes action and violent shows maybe ok with Hellsing Ultimate but blanch at Gantz. So, you can't even expect reviewers to react the same way every time to the same genre. If you think a reviewer has gone over the top with their review by all means respectfully call them out for it. However, in my personal opinion I haven't seen this as a consistent pattern or crusade against certain material. Its not Tipper Gore's Anime News Network, otherwise some shows wouldn't even be reviewed at all.

There's never been a reviewer on this site that I agree with 100% of the time. Heck there are some reviewers that I don't agree very much with, but I still read them because they often have insights that I might have missed.

Last edited by One-Eye on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 has a point with nature as that is coming too (besides the sex). I genially dislike most review on this site in wording and content regardless of my feelings on that anime or manga so i tend to stay away big time (the trolls are not helping) and live at MU but Hope can write so leave her alone. Her PP 2 reviews were severe (and daring to give out F´s is a good thing) but not entirely unwarranted. I even generally liked that series but she was fair on it´s board and left me alone to positive pieces on that boards.
That is notable as some reviewers here even fail the requirement to let others speak against them (don´t be a dick though). She is the best straight anime reviews with no feature of her own like the other 2 good writers Jason and Michael Toole and the reviews here regardless of the score mean nothing to the scene at large. If you did not like a shows reception in any form then write your own and publish it on Amazon/Imdb/MU like i and don´t just bitch.
You will even get mail if you are good and use the same handle every time. Heaps of down votes too if you dare to speak up but that is part of the fun! Back to Kiseijū talk?
Edit:Cross Ange´s early reviews were some of the best reviews this site ever did. More of that please and Roger Ebert gave out two thumbs down (eg. Freddy Got Fingered) too and wrote books on these. Utter criticism is an art form so let the 1/10 fly i say!

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Actar wrote:
Many reviewers don't do this and the review ends up being one-sided, biased and condescending (for instance, a conservative person reviewing an ecchi show).

I'm not sure I'm ready to lump the reviewers on this site with some Fox News like conservative cabal. Theron Martin is pretty appreciative of fan-service shows, Bamboo Dong has been positive of ecchi shows like Ikki Tousen, Carl Kimlinger (who just left recently) commented positively on the fan-service in Nisemonogatari and other shows in the series, even Hope Chapman who strongly disliked Cross-Ange liked High School of the Dead.

I see your point, and I think Actar is exaggerating the issue. One-sided dislike for a show is fine. In fact, if none of the reviewers here ever really hated anything, it would make me question the reviews as a whole. That said, it doesn't excuse them becoming condescending like most of the Cross Ange preview guide reviews ended up being.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I see your point, and I think Actar is exaggerating the issue. One-sided dislike for a show is fine. In fact, if none of the reviewers here ever really hated anything, it would make me question the reviews as a whole. That said, it doesn't excuse them becoming condescending like most of the Cross Ange preview guide reviews ended up being.

“To err is human, to forgive, divine.” And Zac came out and apologized for his reaction by the way. Remember, it was something that got people and not just reviewers upset and elicited a strong negative reaction from many people.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
If there's no such thing as objectivity in reviews, even though many strive for it, then how can we review it fairly or come to a consensus if a show is good or not?

Reviewers review fairly when they discuss the elements of the episode/series and why they feel positively or negatively about it, rather than something like, "This is really overrated." Beyond that, I don't know what you're looking for as "fair" or finding as "unfair" in the reviews here, other than disagreement with your opinions. And what is the point of trying to reach a consensus on the quality of a show anyway? You'll never succeed at that.
Quote:
My answer is that different people with different tastes and preferences will rate shows differently and we need to try to see things from other people's perspectives in order to give a more well-rounded review.

I don't disagree about the part I bolded, but why are reviewers the only people who are expected to write with every other possible opinion than their own in mind? Why do you not include reviewers in the "other people's perspectives" that you should try to see things from? That's exactly what the review is: just another person's perspective.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 19