• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Parasyte -the maxim-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I see where the reviewer's coming from about Migi, though I felt that Migi was developing humanity throughout the series through more subtle, emotive tones in his voice and they've relied on each other. There was some other moments like him backing up Shinichi when the detective wanted Shinichi to turn himself in, and him asking whether Shinichi could kill his mother, but it's not clear whether he had Shinichi's wellbeing in mind (I like to think he did).
mazzmoney

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
My problem with this episode isn't about what migi did, but more about the internal monologue about how he considered shinichi a friend and felt lonely and stuff. This to me was weird, because they never developed that aspect of their relationship for migi to care in that way about shinichi. That isn't to say their relationship wasn't developed, but I saw them develop more as comrades rather than friends if you know what I mean. 2 people that are forced to work with each other that have each others backs. What Migi did made sense for the development he had, he was on the ropes and was gonna die, shinichi had the chance to run and couldn't possibly kill gotoh, so the most logical action was to tell him to run so both didn't have to die. I agree 100% with that. I just didn't like the shoehorned emotions he was showing, and how sad they were making the scene when it's apparent migi isn't dead. I felt the scene as a whole was a bit overdramatic and went a little off course but other than that enjoyed the episode.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I wasn´t the biggest fan of how ep. 21 went down as this was a slasher movie storyline and these need buildup as in the manga or classics like Halloween. The anime on the other hand sprinted like a madman and my friend who will read the manga in a few weeks to compare agreed 100%.
Such stories can only work with a calm mind and frankly even boredom and you really could get the feeling that Shinichi would NOT be walking out of that one in the manga but here it was painfully obvious all along that things would work out just fine. This would be the only C i would give the whole anime and the Oba-san was a real character just like the inn girl in the source.
Frustrating and just like Madhouse´s very own Death Note (where they skipped and even changed the ending).
This week tough turned the ship mostly (but had a bit limited animation for stretches) around and got the points across way better even if it came off too much as a hero´s journey because of the pacing and direction. There was a way stronger ambiguity in the manga but let´ keep the planet clean shall we? At least the team go that the epilogue needs it´s won episode to work so next week will be the make or break point for me. Parasyte has my favorite ending of the modern comic medium and i will keep my "excellent" rating if the nail it or go one down. I will miss the show regardless if the succeed or not and hope for another strong project from the team next.
Maybe even a (probably cleaned up too) History adaptation or something by Urasawa. Or they now earned their keep and will be allowed to do something original. Time will tell and am one of "those" people who though that the original EVA ending or the one form Lost were good so i am very much looking forwards to the complains of how it finishes. Please be excited! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23 grade: A-

At its heart Parasyte has always had an ecologist/environmentalist message. It is an interesting quandary for humans needing to protect themselves, sometimes, to the detriment of Earth. I see that this series is ending in the logical way, but I cannot return to loving it. Still, I am happy to see that smart animes like this continue to be made.

I expect the last episode to not do anything major and serve as an epilogue. I hope we see how Shinichi is going to move on with his life.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23 was a pretty well done episode. Like the review said, my only complaint was Gotou's long monologues and Shinichi's long inner dialogues. They should've just freeze framed the scene instead of having Gotou walk towards Shinichi for like a whole 3 minutes.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
The best part about this episode was that spoiler[Shinichi came back and killed Gotou after he had just tried to claim the high ground by saying he would let him live.]

It exposed Shinichi as a hypocrite, which is what he is at the end of the day. He's still a good guy, and the type of hypocrite we can all root for, but the show didn't let him pretend to be superior in his ethics. THAT is smart writing. I just wish a lot of other shows could be that smart.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with ep 23's review.

I'll concede this: it was an improvement over the last...I dunno, 5-6 episodes. The animation budget was more than decent and Gotou's final form was very well done.

That being said, I only liked the episode during the final minutes: Migi is indeed the best character in the show, and by far. He had the best lines of dialogue, and I liked how he refused to kill Gotoh while at the same time implying Shinichi has every reason to do so.

But everything before that part was plagued by excessive internal monologues that completely killed the tension and Goto's downgrade into a very generic villain that takes forever to finish his opponent was a real bummer.

Still, it was a decent episode but a far cry from the series' best ones.
As a bonus, gotta say Shinichi's girlfriend (I dislike her so much that I forgot her name) forcibly showing up without nothing of value to say was a testament of her contributions to the story as a whole.
animemaster1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked the final episode, for what it was, unlike the reviewer. I think it deserves better than a C.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24 grade: B+

This was a mostly epilogue episode like I expected. I liked the final episode in general, but that last bit felt forced and unnecessary, and it scared the shit out of me. I liked this show a lot, and I still think it is the best anime series of 2014. Bring on a collector's edition Sentai.

Nick Creamer wrote:
There was an excellent show somewhere inside Parasyte, but it would have required bolder decisions than this adaptation made to find it. Tighten the last act, possibly cut Kana entirely, focus more on Migi's development to make sure his final character beats land… it wouldn't have required a wholesale restructuring, but there are plenty of places the show could have used a couple more revisions.

I agree. If Parasyte had made some of the changes you suggest, it might have been a Masterpiece. As the series stands, I give it a Very good rating.
rawr+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I never post on forums, but this review nearly made me chunder on the keyboard. "Wrong every time" sums up Nick Creamer pretty well. Not sure if you're just jaded out or only watching this show because you had to, but parasyte was far better than 90% of crap-ime that comes out of japan these days, not C-quality material.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Most anime these days don't seem to have an ending. This was really refreshing, I thought it concluded everything nicely. I wouldn't change a thing, I'm satisfied.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
You're probably gonna get a lot of flack cause this was a fairly popular series in the west; so I really don't wanna be in your e-shoes right now, Nick.

Unlike last time, we're on the same page now.

Quote:
Parasyte - full of theoretically strong concepts, but sometimes better on paper than in practice. There was an excellent show somewhere inside Parasyte, but it would have required bolder decisions than this adaptation made to find it. Tighten the last act, possibly cut Kana entirely, focus more on Migi's development to make sure his final character beats land… it wouldn't have required a wholesale restructuring, but there are plenty of places the show could have used a couple more revisions. I enjoyed my time with Parasyte, but I can't say I'm too sad to see it go.

I couldn't agree more with your final paragraph. Parasyte had some pretty sound episodes and a very promising paranoid-like plot that was reminiscent of very cool concepts such as body snatchers and the overused but always effective "humans are the real monsters". It also featured some fantastic action scenes and a once promising main character. Sadly, most of that went away slowly but steadily. Like I've said in previous posts, I think the moment in which the series turns into a mess was the white horse scene during Kana's last episode. That precise moment proved to be the first of many examples in which the series wouldn't have a clue about how to properly resolve an arc.

I'm also not sad to see the series go, but that's because I already made my peace with it and bid farewell while it was still excellent.

Two last things:

1. When you mention how this series could have been improved by the adaptation I'd personally have Murano completely rewritten or fused with Kana (while trying to get rid of the traits that made both of them annoying characters). Whenever Parasyte attempted romance or drama derived from it, it failed horribly. Goto needed more development as well. And my God, get rid of the cops or use them in a less inept way.

2. It's funny as hell how they're trying to make a point at the end of Shinichi's "humanity" with the story about a proper burial for the dog, when at the same time they're both LAUGHING while standing next to two corpses of innocent victims and people panicking in the background. ("HAHA THEY THINK WE'RE DEAD TOO! IT'S HILARIOUS RIGHT?").
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure people here will disagree with me on this, but I have never seen a show start off so promising, and end up so disappointing in all my years of watching anime.

It had blemishes at the start, but I felt safe ignoring them because it felt like the story was going places. The story felt, while silly, smart.

But after finishing the series, to be honest, all I can say is that Parasyte's story is just silly. The small quiet moments were drained away, and it became just another monster of the arc show.

Disappointing.
NikamiYuhara

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Great adaptation so far by Madhouse. Given it's a 2 cour, I expect a lot of other stuff to be covered but this show impresses me quite a bit from this season :3

This having another season(which is impossible) or did i misread what you wrote?
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I disagreed with what you said last time but completely agree with you on this one Nick. This episode was REALLY flat and as you've said, they just kept on reverting back on the old philosophies that the show has explored numerous times during the 23 episodes. We really didn't need 1 full episode to go through them all again.

Overall, I liked this anime and I would consider this to be one of the best show that aired during 2014. Although, I would agree that the show could have been executed a lot better. Kana's character just felt flat although I liked her a lot. It like the show never cared about her at all as I think she would have been a great asset to the show had they used her right. Then we never get any explanation as to how she acquired the ability to detect parasytic(?) activities either which sucks since Uragawa at least got that. Then Reiko, oh Reiko, her change of heart was so unconvincing to me. It felt like they cut a lot out of her thought processes because her 180 change was just there. I wasn't entirely convinced of that character development at all. These are just some of my gripes about the show. I still liked it, just wished that it would have been executed better. Then again, this was adapted by studio Madhouse, I expected no less from them cutting out stuffs as have seen from other shows that were adapted this year by them..... Hopefully they won't messed up the adaption of One Punch Man.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 19