• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Old anime: Are you a fan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
VampireNaomi wrote:
While I don't want to make generalizations about the good old days because there are terrible older anime series and brilliant new ones, there's just something about the general feeling in 70s and 80s anime that I enjoy. Some of it is probably nostalgia because I watched a lot of old children's anime as a kid, and seeing similar character designs, tropes etc. is nice.

Nostalgia can skew your assessment of old anime. I grew up during the late '70s and early 80s so I've watched my fair share of old anime (at the time though it was new Laughing ) . That said, I like modern anime storytelling and animation techniques. Anime has improved a lot over the last 30/40 years and while some of my favorite anime are old series (very very few 4-5 max) I would never say old times were better because it's simply not true.

Quote:

My favourite anime of all time is Takarajima, which is a 26-episode adaptation of Treasure Island from the late 70s. It's got great music and character designs, and compared to every other Treasure Island adaptation I've seen, it gives the plot and Jim&Silver dynamics way more room to develop because it's a series and not just a movie.

My 4 top favorites are Conan the future boy a timeless classic in my opinion, Space Adventure Cobra for it's great animation/direction and glitzy art, Space Warrior Baldios and finally Brother Dear Brother.

Quote:

Other than that, I like a lot of World Masterpiece Theater series, such as Perrine Monogatari and Anne of Green Gables. Those sure make you cry. I wish more dramatic shoujo from the 70s was legally available, and I'd pretty much sell my soul if someone released Sengoku Majin GoShogun on DVD.

Oh man, calling the WMT series tragic doesn't even come close. It's like all the misfortunes of humanity were focused on 1 character. I always wonder why so many kids that watched those series didn't end up suicides. So many terrible things happened to those characters.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh man, calling the WMT series tragic doesn't even come close. It's like all the misfortunes of humanity were focused on 1 character. I always wonder why so many kids that watched those series didn't end up suicides. So many terrible things happened to those characters.

They are not overly tragic, it is was reality. Laving in the present world thanks to modern medicine, technology etc. is far easier compared to what it used to be for our ancestors.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I do happened to watch old anime. I do love Space Pirate Captain Harlock (the anime was a classic and the storyline was awesome for it's time), and Fist of the north star on Hulu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Although A-ko #3, Cinderella Rhapsody, while lighter on the geek pop-refs, does manage some cute by-play between the characters.
(And introduces the strategic "boyfriend", to keep us from getting that idea about the three... Rolling Eyes )

Behind closed doors you know it was still going on. The soundtrack for the movie is also amazing. In fact one of the tunes...track 7 I think...is actually the music they used to use on all the old previews on dvds back then. Still got the soundtrack on cd and keep it nice and safe. Also got Gunbuster OST as well. Hell, I got a lot of old 80's and 90's OST's. Finding those back then was like finding a pot of gold.

Obviously I am yes a fan of older anime. Which to me is anything before the mid 1990's. The early 90's going into mid 90's was when the anime bubble to me really grew into what it was for a number of years. So to me anything before that rise, as in before 1995, is older anime to me. In particular 80's anime. I think around the mid 90's is also when you can really see a switch in the fan base. Around that time anime was becoming popular. It was becoming much more wide spread and easier to find. Now it's at your fingertips. Before that rise when vhs tapes were everywhere and then dvds anime was hard to find. So many nights watching bootlegged vhs tapes.

I only mention that because I think that's part of why us older fans are so nostalgic over older anime. We could only get so much so we jumped at everything. Even bad titles. Plus those older titles were gateways for us and helped usher in the anime boom period. I love new shows and some of my favorites are 2000+. But I ALWAYS wind up going back and watching older shows every so often. No matter how much the animation might have improved since then, or the voice acting. or anything else those shows often just feel special to me. I remember being in the anime club at my high school before it was cool to be in an anime club. Back when they were the lowest of the low in terms of clubs. Even the chess club or AV club were above us. But we'd huddle around the communal vhs player and watch the old OVA's and movies. Plus back then OVA's were the thing. They out numbered tv series and movies like 2-1 it feels like. Those were happy times. They were simpler times lol. Anyways I digress and ramble on.

As for specific titles I love many already mentioned. Urusei Yatsura, Heroic Legend of Arslan, City Hunter, Martian Successor Nadesico, Fist of the North Star, Dirty pair, and Lupin. I loved other titles such as Akira, Venus Wars, Gundam, The Rose of Versailles, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Gall Force, Dominion: Tank Police, Crying Freeman, Fatal Fury, and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor to name a few. Can't forget about Sailormoon.

There are some special titles out of them and some personal favorites I'll mention.

Gunbuster & Robotch/Macross - These 2 were some of my first big mecha, space opera, sci-fi shows I saw in terms of anime. They had everything you could ask for. Drama, action, comedy, wonderful character growth, a good plot etc. And the music was awesome. Plus I read the Robotech novels as a kid. FYI Robotech and Macross are technically the same show but done slightly differently so I included both names.

Patlabor - While also a mecha show it was much different than Gunbuster and Robotech/Macross. It was more like Ghost in the Shell and the mecha aspects were secondary to the actual characters and their growth. Plus it wasn't a big grand space opera type show. Arguably it paved the way for shows like GITS. Patlabor had great characters that you could relate to. While futuristic with the mecha aspect it didn't feel too far fetched. The OVA's and tv series were equally good but the movies were amazing. Patlabor 2 remains one of my top 10 anime movies period.

Project A-ko - This was special because it was one of the first anime I watched that I knew WAS anime. I had seen lots of anime before but never knew what anime was. I simply thought of them as more mature cartoons. I didn't know anime was separate from American cartoons. It was a 3 movie night that included Project A-ko, Akira, and Vampire Hunter D.

Vampire Hunter D - How badass and cool was D? The man just was amazing. A half human half vampire who fights other vampire masters. The thing is the time frame is thousands of years in the future. Vampires rose and had their glory years (millennia) and built wonderful marvels of technology. Then they pretty much vanished. So while the feel of the show is almost a cross between industrial era and steam punk it's actually very far in the future in terms of setting. It makes for an interesting world. Especially if you read the many novels. The elements all combined into a fresh take on the whole vampire/dracula theme. D and his sword and hat are iconic to me. The sequel movie Bloodlust is equally amazing if not more so.

Bubblegum Crisis- This show was just awesome. 4 badass chicks in battle suits kicking ass. Great music as well. This show was one of the first for me where the leads were all female. And they kicked ass! They weren't simply doormats. Plus those suits were cool. The remake wasn't bad, but I still like the original OVA's more. Though both have a great cyberpunk feel to them.

Ninja Scroll- I'm sorry but this is THE ninja movie that set the bar for all others. Amazing action. Amazing fight scenes. Lots of gorey goodness. A breast or two thrown in for good measure. Really dark and creepy backgrounds for much of it. Did I mention over the top action? Sure the characters in there often didn't resemble typical ninja, think Basalisk for a newer reference, but oh my sweet baby jesus did they kick the ass. This movie simply had everything you wanted in an action film.

Record of Lodoss War- Much as Ninja Scroll is the grand daddy of ninja/action movies for me Lodoss War is the grand daddy of fantasy anime for me. The story was imaginative and full of wonderful characters. Back then sci-fi and fantasy had a huge market and this was THE fantasy title for me. Great vibrant animation for it's time, much like Ninja Scroll, characters with depth, an engaging plot, and again good background music. sorcery and sword fighting, and just a big wonderful fantasy setting. This title was really popular with non anime fans too back then. It's still to me the measuring stick for all fantasy anime to this day in terms of characters, setting, and depth/plot. Honestly the only fantasy title to me that really gives it a strong run for it's money as fantasy champ is 12 Kingdoms. Otherwise Lodoss War stands heads above the rest. If you love fantasy just get this.

Oh My Goddess- This is my jam as you youngins say lol. While not extraordinary per se this title was my true gateway anime. This OVA set and manga turned anime for me from a more casual enjoyment into a full blown hobby. I loved the mix of magical elements, goddess's, and slice of life comedy. To this day I think OMG is one of the best at balancing those elements. The characters continue to grow and their bonds deepen over time. You can relate to the slice of life segments. While there are other titles like it Oh My Goddess has just struck a cord with me and stuck with me after all these years. The fact the manga is STILL running is a testament to the show. In fact I think the American manga of Oh My Goddess might be the longest running manga released in America.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:42 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I haven't seen a lot of old anime. The oldest anime TV show I've ever seen from start to finish was Evangelion, with the oldest I've seen some of was the first eight episodes of the Viz dub of Sailor Moon. The oldest anime movie I've seen was Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro. Other than that, most anime I've seen were from the '00s. I'm trying to get a large variety of anime (even the bad ones), so I know I need to start watching some old stuff. Hopefully, I'll find some gems soon.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
I have a problem with the basic question. I've been watching and collecting anime for a bit over 14 years. It doesn't seem like that long but in anime fan time it apparently is.

Most of the titles people have been throwing out as "old anime" are simply what was available when I started watching. Some of it was back stock in the Brick and Mortar stores where you could find anime then and some of it was shows finally making it here since it took a lot longer then. As a result, I don't think of these shows as "old anime". They are just shows I first watched a while back. I enjoyed them then and still do. Some of what passes for "old anime" are titles I was aware of then which didn't become available to me until recently, such as the Dirty Pair TV.

TLDR: Yes, I like what is thought of as "old anime", I just don't think of it as old. To me it is just anime.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I love film based anime. There is just something wonderfully organic about film. HD telecine + film based anime is an otaku dream come true. Bring on 4K.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

TLDR: Yes, I like what is thought of as "old anime", I just don't think of it as old. To me it is just anime.

I feel much the same. I simply differentiate "old" and "new" anime by style personally. What many call old anime simply has a different style to it. A different method of production. It's not old or ugly, it's just different.

A theory I have developed in recent years is that whether or not a fan reads books, not manga but actual novels, can impact whether or not they feel as we do, or if they feel that old anime is simply old. With books there is no old or new style per se. Language may get new slang but the process of writing a book is still the same mostly. The devices you use to do it may have changed but not the core process. You have an idea, you brainstorm, you write it down, you edit it and tweak it, you finalize it, and then you have your book. A book from 20-30 years ago is no different than one released 2 days ago. So those of us who grew up reading actual novels had to use our imaginations to visualize the story. There was no old or new or better graphics/animation. There was just the story and what you got out of it.

So with anime I for one go into a show the same way. It's not old or new, it's simply the story. It's simply the plot, it's characters, their development, and the world it creates for me. The actual animation is just the mode of delivery for said story. I think those who grew up reading books can more easily go into a show with that mindset and see past labels like old and new.

Anyways, just a theory as I said.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote
The barrier to older animation is the comparison between old forms of video versus brand spanking new HD. Remasters remove that so that your image comes to a crisp focus and all of the details pop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2