• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hellsing Ultimate Finale Will Not Air on Toonami

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh well that's a bit of a bummer...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Wonder what the snafu was? I'm guessing it was legal.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
Wonder what the snafu was? I'm guessing it was legal.

I'm guessing Funi didn't want them aired on TV within a month of their release on the 28th.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Attack on Titan is getting ANOTHER airing? The show was good and all but its rewatch value is quite weak.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
It would have been better if they could just put the show on hiatus and attempt to air the remaining episodes on a later date, if that's possible.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
At first I thought it might be that they were off a week because of the surprise Batman marathon they ran (because that was the last time they could run those episodes), but that should only have affected episode 10 - for some reason they won't be able to run either episode 9 or 10. I suppose the content could be a problem, but given earlier episodes I can't see that being it. And episodes 9 and 10 are already streaming on Funimation's site, and their runtimes are line with prior episodes, so...I guess it probably is some sort of licensing thing.

That's kind of strange, since even those last 2 episodes came out in Japan 2 years ago. I wonder if they're part of a different license than earlier episodes?
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes Yeah, this has got to be a move by Funi. Those guys are pretty devious businesss people. I haven't been a fan of them lately. Can't blame them for wanting to move product, but it would be nice if their product quality at least matched their sneaky business tactics.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Rolling Eyes Yeah, this has got to be a move by Funi. Those guys are pretty devious businesss people. I haven't been a fan of them lately. Can't blame them for wanting to move product, but it would be nice if their product quality at least matched their sneaky business tactics.

It's possible, but part of me wonders if Funi can't actually give the rights to air it on TV. Funi more or less said getting the rights to the final 2 episodes of Hellsing Ultimate was a bitch.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Glad I already watched the dub online. FUNi could make each episode free the respective weekend that they would have aired on Toonami, but they wouldn't be that nice.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Nice advertising ploy, Funimation. But now not only am I not going to buy Hellsing Ultimate, but I'm basically done with your mouthpiece, Toonami.

If Toonami couldn't secure every episode for broadcast, they never should have aired any of it.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I find this extremely funny and pathetic. Might as well link to a torrent site while they are at it, cause if this is a strategy by Funi, it will only backfire.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why everybody is quick to blame FUNi, let's not forget that Japan has done some shady busniess when it comes to this stuff as well. I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if this was Japan's fault. Judging by FUNimations relationship with Toonami at this point, I doubt they would do this on purpose.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Titan is getting re-runned in the opening slot? Jesus Christ, I'm glad I stopped watching. This block has gone down the shitter.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Here's to hoping that, when the TV rights to the last two Hellsings are available, Toonami will finish airing it.

Also, you people are way too pessimistic.
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Nice advertising ploy, Funimation. But now not only am I not going to buy Hellsing Ultimate, but I'm basically done with your mouthpiece, Toonami.

If Toonami couldn't secure every episode for broadcast, they never should have aired any of it.

Uh, really..? Your prerogative and all, but you are assuming things that may not be true, and there plenty of precedence, if not for the same reasons. TV Tokyo aired only twelve episodes of Cowboy Bebop, out of order too. Excel Saga's final episode was also never aired on Japanese television.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4