• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hanasaku Iroha the Movie: Home Sweet Home [Premium Edition] Sub.Blu-Ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I actually just bought the whole TV series and this movie a couple of weeks ago and just finished watching it all. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and the art was extremely beautiful in my opinion. Also very happy that it is a NISA release. Those guys really put out some sweet sets.
As far as the movie, I had hopes that it would serve as more of a sequel giving us a glimpse into the re-opening of Kissuiso, but I was pretty happy with the movie for the most part. I thought the series did a pretty good job of giving us just enough character development for Ohana's mom, but I was very pleased with the extra that we got in the movie.

So... basically, I agree with this review entirely! Laughing
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I missed the entire second half of this anime, I think. The review was talking about episodes 20+ and I didn't remember it being so long... so I logged into my Crunchyroll account and there it is, it says I stopped at episode 13 thinking that was it. No wonder I always felt the ending was weird! I'm going to watch the rest of the anime and then look into this movie haha.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
A shame there are no streaming options. $36 for what amounts to two episodes seems a bit steep but even so what I don't like is owning the media for just the movie but not the original series. My OCD catching up to me I guess.

I suppose I will have to buy it.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely adored the series and had really high hopes for this movie. Unfortunately my expectations were dropped a little bit once I realised the movie was only an hour long. But once I got to watching the movie I realised that it didn't really matter.

Recently the Idolm@ster Movie came out and personally I thought was a great movie. However, the one problem is that even though it's two hours long it doesn't feel like a fully realised movie. On top of the animation not being much better than the series for the most part the plot was something that felt like it could have easily been done in maybe 2-3 TV episodes but dragged out to fit the runtime. It's almost as if the people making it didn't even know how to properly make a movie.

The Hanasaku Iroha Movie wasn't like that at all. It's only an hour long but, as the subtitle of this review says, it still a fully realised film that perfectly compliments the series. I don't feel like the movie was 'mind blowing to the point of almost surpassing the series' great like the K-ON Movie or Madoka Rebellion and certainly not 'mind blowing to the point of easily surpassing the series' like the Haruhi Movie. But then again, did it really need it to be?

Hanasaku Iroha is a very down to earth series and probably one of the best slice of life anime out there. The fact that the movie still feels fully realised despite keeping that down to earth feeling is something the creators really deserve to be complimented on. It may be short but it's very, very sweet.

Plus more Ohana is never a bad thing.
rookie_one
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
After I discovered the series on CR, I really wanted to pick up the blu-rays and was also excited to hear there was a movie.

Managed to get both of the premium edition releases from TSRI during a NISA sale recently, and I'm impressed with the presentation. The movie is on my buy list for the next publisher sale.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
The Hanasaku Iroha Movie wasn't like that at all. It's only an hour long but, as the subtitle of this review says, it still a fully realised film that perfectly compliments the series.

I agree that the movie was nice and can serve as a compliment to the series. That being said, the movie was disappointing to me because it did not add anything of real substance. Those who paid attention to the series spoiler[figured out what kind of relationship Ohana's mother had with Ohana's father].

I rated the Hanasaku Iroha movie as Good, but I would have liked to see a sequel instead of a side story that could have been part of the original tv series.

Quote:
I don't feel like the movie was 'mind blowing to the point of almost surpassing the series' great like the K-ON Movie

You really think the K-On movie was mind blowing? It was a redundant side story that spoiler[kind of ruined the emotional ending of season 2]. No wonder you were that pleased with the Hanasaku Iroha movie.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
rookie_one wrote:
After I discovered the series on CR, I really wanted to pick up the blu-rays and was also excited to hear there was a movie.

Managed to get both of the premium edition releases from TSRI during a NISA sale recently, and I'm impressed with the presentation. The movie is on my buy list for the next publisher sale.

Considering that was the first NISA sale since... ever, I wouldn't count on it being around next time they decide to do one. Especially given the generally very limited quantity that NISA tends to print.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:36 am Reply with quote
I didn't really like the show, so I cannot be accused of being a fanboy. Therefore take it from me when I say that this movie was a definite step up. The way it handles the characters and juggles their respective arcs is improved from the show, the scripting is tighter and more focused, and it's more engaging overall.

I do recommend the movie, even to those (like myself) who were lukewarm. That said, the dialogue was still a major problem, with characters bluntly and unnaturally voicing their emotions even though we could already tell what they were feeling based on the scene context and non-verbal cues.

HaruhiToy wrote:
A shame there are no streaming options. $36 for what amounts to two episodes

Sixty-six minutes is arguably three episodes' worth, but I take your point. Nevertheless, it packs an incredible amount of material into that short runtime so it does feel like a normal ninety-minute movie.
bobob101

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm slowly making my way through this show on Crunchyroll. Should I finish the series then see this, or try to watch it as I am watching the show?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I think it would be fine to watch it while going through the show. The time to do it would probably be right after watching episode 20, as I don't recall anything after that that which would cause a significantly different perspective on what is seen in the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
treeofjessie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
uh, so is this movie 86 or 66 minutes?

first paragraph of the review says 86, last paragraph says 66.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
^
It is definitely sixty-six minutes.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I just finished it last night and I am wiling to say it is worth the investment. The edition I got was actually $50 and included a nice art book and package. I would normally want to have the media for both the regular season and OVA together but since I saw it streaming and I don't really want to watch it again I'll just leave it as is.

As the review says there was a lot more about Satsuki and it was worth watching even though it was a bit painful. She really had a rough time of it as a teenager feeling stifled by her mothers business. Seeing an acting-out teenager smacked off her feet by her mother while a bunch of other adults were watching is (at least for me) a little bit hard to take.

Then it was a bit of an eyebrow-raiser to see her offer to sell herself to one of the inn's guests as a way of raising money to get out of there, but fortunately the guy doesn't take her up on it (hard to tell if she was serious) and instead purses a friendship with her.

Following the story of three generations of women is a pretty commons story formula and they made it work here again. Probably my favorite parts is where Ohana is discovering a bit about her past that she hadn't known before. There was a lot more to like.

So I would recommend anyone who liked the regular season should definitely pick this up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1