• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Times Mother Nature Unleashed Her Fury

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Voted Cure Aqua because she'd kick total ass with her water arrow and sword, though I imagine Cure Marine will be the winner.

Also, I can't believe Blossom ranks so high and Bloom so low.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Just a quick note but Japan uses a different scale for earthquakes. The shindo scale only goes from 1-7, so a 7 on the shindo scale is a catastrophic event. The 2011 earthquake was a 7 on the shindo scale which makes the prophetic nature of Tokyo Magnitude even more scary.

I'm also surprised that I've seen quite a few shows on this list! Props for listing Jyu-Oh-Sei since no one seems to remember that series!
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
No one would win; there'd just be a lot of crying and shouting, followed by apologizing and making up. Then there would be cake and ice cream and uncanny CG dancing.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Huhn. No Shangri-La? With it's world of carbon emissions being strictly enforced by nature? I admit that it has been a while seen I saw this series, but I know that the world (or at least Japan) was pretty jacked up for the setting of that series. Why does it feel like I'm the only one who actually remembers this anime? I thought it was pretty cool!
Macron One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
This week's Precure poll is a tough one. I ended up picking Cure Beauty, as she strikes me as the most capable cure from this list, even though i like Cure Marine and Cure Aqua better as characters (Cure Marine especially).

Blue21 wrote:
Also, I can't believe Blossom ranks so high and Bloom so low.

That's Heartcatch Precure's popularity showing through, no doubt. Futari wa/Max Heart and Heartcatch are easily the most popular Precure series, which must have allowed Cure Blossom to score comparatively well, even though she's one of the weakest cures overall. Indeed, Cure Marine should likewise do very well in this week's poll. I do agree that it's a pity that Bloom and Egret scored as poorly as they did, as they are far from the weakest cures. In fact, the Splash Star series probably still has the most impressive final battle of the entire Precure franchise IMO.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
The shindo scale only goes from 1-7, so a 7 on the shindo scale is a catastrophic event. The 2011 earthquake was a 7 on the shindo scale which makes the prophetic nature of Tokyo Magnitude even more scary.

And that the anime earthquake's epicenter was under Tokyo Bay, not hundreds of miles off the coast to the north.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
The entry on Gargantia is kind of a huge-ass spoiler there.

Also, I guess Origin: The Spirits Within didn't make this list?
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, my favorite Cure is at second place. Although the distance to Black is far, but I understand that. I thought Dream would be a bit higher. Bloom is surprisingly low. Maybe the people thought she was just a carbon copy of black, though she is quite different.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
No one would win; there'd just be a lot of crying and shouting, followed by apologizing and making up. Then there would be cake and ice cream and uncanny CG dancing.

My thoughts exactly! It'd be like all the tokusatsu crossovers where they pit heroes against heroes. There's just no way anyone would win.

To be honest though... I've only seen all of Futari wa, HeartCatch, Dokidoki, and the first several episodes of Happiness Charge. How exactly do we compare the strength of Precures?
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

Yeah, glad I've seen the show already.

They really need a way to put php-style spoiler tags (or similar) into their articles.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I doubt they'd have put in the joke post March 2011, but the OVA bonus episode of 2008's Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens totally had a random tsunami flooding the streets as a gag in an episode that was playing up the most cartoonish aspects of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
It's not an anime, but I was immediately reminded of the video game Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. Some people call the Schwartzwelt in that game an attempt by nature to reset the Earth after widespread ecological damage and social unrest (more so than in the real world), though I personally think it's a stretch.

Though I suppose if we took Mem Aleph to be an extremist (and female) Captain Planet with near omnipotence, it could work.

Northlander wrote:

Heh, it is? THere'd be no point in withholding the fact, then, that in Now and Then, Here and There, the source of the drought is spoiler[that it's Earth billions of years into the future, just after the Sun has depleted its hydrogen and is expanding via helium fusion]. It's one of the grimmest realities of what nature can do to the planet.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, you'd think that, given a multi-billion year timescale, humanity would have either perished, expanded outside the solar system, or, at the very least, evolved into something else completely unrecognizable as human.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
There's no evidence anywhere in the series that humanity had NOT fled; we just see it through some groups of people stranded on Earth. And while humans seem to be largely the same, the show does display that the rest of the planet has evolved accordingly, with every animal shown except humans as drought-tolerant predators looking totally different from today's creatures. (And I'm guessing that humans are exactly the same is necessary for the plot, or else it would've been too obvious. It is definitely a stretch though.)

spoiler[Unless every human we see was transported to the far future in a similar way as Shu, the protagonist.]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I always took the billion as pure hyperbole. Not even 200k MYA we weren't even considered AMH. A few million years back there were no humanoids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2