• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Times Mother Nature Unleashed Her Fury

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Well, if the Sun has expended its hydrogen, it'd have to be at least a few billion years into the future.]
ajh2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Honorable Mention.... Avenger, set on Mars where food, water and all resources are almost non-existent. For survival, it is a literal fight for survival as all resources are determined by who is the strongest city (fighter).

3.) Fist of the North Star - Water and food scarcity.

2.) Gurren Lagann - The earth has been devastated by an alien enemy.

and Number 1 - Stellvia of the Universe - How about the Galaxy trying to destroy the earth? Oh, not serious enough, how about not twice but THREE (3) times.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
spoiler[Well, if the Sun has expended its hydrogen, it'd have to be at least a few billion years into the future.]

spoiler[Due to Sol's increasing luminosity, Earth will be completely uninhabitable in just one billion years. So there's no way that life could make it another four-to-five billion years to be around when Sol's hydrogen runs out and it starts fusing helium. This means that any work of fiction that shows Earth being inhabited must be set within the next billion years.]
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
ajh2 wrote:
Honorable Mention.... Avenger, set on Mars where food, water and all resources are almost non-existent. For survival, it is a literal fight for survival as all resources are determined by who is the strongest city (fighter).

3.) Fist of the North Star - Water and food scarcity.

2.) Gurren Lagann - The earth has been devastated by an alien enemy.

and Number 1 - Stellvia of the Universe - How about the Galaxy trying to destroy the earth? Oh, not serious enough, how about not twice but THREE (3) times.

It might be worth noting that Fist of the North Star's apocalypse was caused by nuclear war and Gurren Lagann's situation due to outside alien influence, neither of which were caused by nature, the article's premise.

Of course, if the The List decided to do an article that focused on epic post-apocalyptic series, those two are sure-fire contenders. (Wait, has that List been done already? I can't remember.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
spoiler[Due to Sol's increasing luminosity, Earth will be completely uninhabitable in just one billion years. So there's no way that life could make it another four-to-five billion years to be around when Sol's hydrogen runs out and it starts fusing helium. This means that any work of fiction that shows Earth being inhabited must be set within the next billion years.]

Oh, it's that short?

Was it a recent discovery? I knew about the increasing brightness, not that it'd kill off all life on Earth that soon.

While humans as they are now wouldn't survive, would it be possible for life to evolve to adapt quickly enough to keep up?

I can't remember most other creatures in Now and Then, Here and There, but Shu, the main character, gets a run-in with a carnivorous worm that spends most of its time burrowed underground and only comes out to set traps or go in for the kill for what few surface-dwelling animals there are (including humans).
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:05 am Reply with quote
^
I want to apologise. After further reading, I've learned that although the oceans themselves will be lost in 1.1 billion years, there will still be big pockets of water deep underground which could allow subterranean creatures (like in your example) to survive. But there wouldn't be much to eat on the surface. High latitudes (i.e. near the poles) and high altitudes (i.e. mountainous terrain) will probably be cool enough to have liquid water, so surface plants and animals - should they survive - will have to live in those places.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote
I see, so you mean that by then, the sea level temperatures of the planet will exceed the boiling point of water.

Well, that certainly debunks the whole "billions of years" then, since spoiler[humans are shown to live on the surface, some of whom have no protective gear, and the protective gear is meant for the harsh sandstorms that blow through certain areas. There is a village shown late into the series situated in a valley that doesn't get these sandstorms, and they not only have grass and plants everywhere (with no problem finding drinkable water), the humans are all dressed in ordinary fabric clothing.]

Thanks for the information on the Sun though. Astronomy has always been one of my favorite subjects to read about.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
No Nausicaa?
scineram

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I doubt they'd have put in the joke post March 2011, but the OVA bonus episode of 2008's Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens totally had a random tsunami flooding the streets as a gag in an episode that was playing up the most cartoonish aspects of the show.

That isn't real time!

Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
I'm not terribly surprised at this list. Japan has survived wars,floods,typhoons,earthquakes,and other things throughout it's history. So,it's not surprising that stuff like this would show up in anime. The US has had it's share of disasters but nothing like what Japan's been through.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:
No Nausicaa?

My thoughts exactly. If you want Mother Nature unleashing her fury, it ranks far higher than Mononoke.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Peter Hunt wrote:
Brutannica wrote:
No Nausicaa?

My thoughts exactly. If you want Mother Nature unleashing her fury, it ranks far higher than Mononoke.

I thought the same thing. Most of humanity is quite literally Ohm chow.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
The first thing I thought of when seeing the theme for this list was Tide-line Blue. About 90% of the planet is flooded due to an event called The Hammer of Eden.

The show had flaws, but now I want to watch it again.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Peter Hunt wrote:
Brutannica wrote:
No Nausicaa?

I thought the same thing. Most of humanity is quite literally Ohm chow.

Well, if you read the manga, you'll learn that spoiler[the spores and the... well, forest being the way it is is basically it repairing the damage done by that huge war they're referring to in the movie, where they used the giant humanoid war machines to lay waste to everything. It did have the side effect of making the air massively poisonous for human beings, but that was only on the surface.]

Also, the Ohm doesn't eat humans. They will stampede the hell out of you if you anger them by... say, torturing their young, but they do not eat human beings or even act particularly aggressive as long as you leave them alone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2