• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum Stretching in Chrome?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I just was forced to switch over to Chrome, and the forums stretch wider than my screen. The rest of the site formats correctly, it's only the forums that stretch, and I have no clue why. My only guess is that the images in the "sidebar", which I have at the bottom (remind me why we can't get rid of the images there, again?) are stretching it, since they do go wider than my screen, rather than bumping one column to the next row like firefox did.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Shocked Confused huh, I used Google Chrome too and I don't have any problem like you claim, can you post any pictures so I can see it??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
If someone with knowledge and access to the inner workings of the site needs a screenshot, I will take one.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
Ah, damn. When the text-width preferences is set to 200, Chrome will not resize the forum for some reason. Sad

Ok, it's fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Ah, damn. When the text-width preferences is set to 200, Chrome will not resize the forum for some reason. Sad

Ok, it's fixed.

Uh, you might want to check on that again. Because I'm using Chrome right now and mine is starting to act strange, it seem to match what Dessa is describing. This is what it look like now:

Usually the white filling board is bigger and longer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Also there's another issue I'm having, it's not only the forum, but also when I go to my PM too, the "stretching" is effecting my PM reading view, this is what it looks like normally on Chrome:

And now this is what it look like due to a "stretching issue" like what Dessa is describing:

And no I didn't set anything to make it look like that.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm using IE 11. Since this afternoon the site width has been all over the place. It seems to change every time I change pages.

The main page seems normal but when I go to an article it will be narrow. In the forum the main page is normal but some of the sub forums are narrow. When I open specific threads some are normal and some are narrow. At least one page was wide enough that I needed to scroll to see the end of lines. Within a given thread the pages differ in width.

Text width is set at 150.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I've been having the same problems as Alan on IE over the past hour.

Last edited by TsunaReborn! on Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
OK so it's not only Chrome users that are experiencing this, so anyone else beside Internet Explorer and Chrome experiencing similar problem??
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm using IE 11, and right now the forums are much narrower than normal.

Edit: I've realized that the width changes size when I view different threads. Also, normally, I have the sidebar appear at the bottom instead of on the side, but sometimes it is giving it to me on the side.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I am seeing the changing width with Firefox 34 and Windows 7.
I do not consider it to be a problem, but it is noticeable.

The difference is in the "Forums" column in the main index and the "Topics" columns in the Forum indexes and the "Message" columns in the threads.

If the text in that column is not longer than my preference setting then the column shrinks to the length of the longest line.
If the text is longer than my setting then it wraps at the set point, as it should.

My preference is set at "2."
I do not remember what that means, except that it is not literally 2 characters.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Thread pages are fine now, but everything else is squished to the side for me.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Thread pages are fine now, but everything else is squished to the side for me.

Yeah I'm still getting it for me. Confused
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it is worth mentioning, but nothing is ever pushed to the side for me.
The width might vary, but the forum window is always centered.

I also always have the "sidebar" at the bottom, below the forums.
I do not see a setting for that, so I guess that it is a result of the text width setting that I have.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
@Touma
In the upper right hand corner of the sidebar there are three small icons. The center icon is a small rectangle. If you hover your mouse pointer over it, it will show "maximize sidebar". Click it and the sidebar will revert to the side in the forums.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2