• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Cult Classics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Belladona looks pretty cool. The art reminds me of a pre-cgi Gankutsuo. I remember really looking forward to Redline when I first heard about it, and I was not disappointed: it looks and sounds glorious in HD. I really love Madhouse movies, so I should probably check out Hells. Its cool that its got subs. I've yet to see see Dead Leaves and Mind Game, but I've seen Lagaan and Panty from the former and most of Yuasa's other stuff. Its a shame no one's licensed Kemenozume: that show is batshit insane but also amazing (and the opening and ending kick ass).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
D-Rock wrote:
Dead Leaves is, in my most humble opinion, a piece of horse sh!t. I hated that anime so god d@mn much. It was the worst anime I have EVER seen. I've seen a TON of anime, but nothing was as bad as that huge pile of manure.

Lol I hated it too; not the worst thing ever but it was very weird and tasteless. Tasteless films can work if they're really funny....but Dead Leaves wasn't able to be funny either.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote
It's always great when someone talks about the obscure and ignored. Something to spend the weekend searching for.

Dead Leaves reminds me of Heinlein's The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress and also Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination. You take those two grand SF operas, mush them together, throw in a little bit of A Clockwork Orange, drop acid, and rewrite them, and you might end up with something like Dead Leaves. I'm fond of it. But, then, I like Waterworld. And The Postman. That's just me.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Dead Leaves reminds me of Heinlein's The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress and also Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination.

Best reason for me to see Dead Leaves right here. Those are two of my favorite novels.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say, I really love your columns Mike.

I've never heard of this feature, Belladona of Sadness, it sounds interesting. I'm glad to hear that someone is picking it up for release. See this is what needs to happen, is getting these titles available for all generations of anime. I do have to admit the visuals look pretty interesting and it definitely harkens back to the 70's. So very please to hear this news. Maybe one day we'll see 'Cleopatra' and '1001 Nights'. I've heard about these films and they need to be seen.

I'm surprised HELLS made the list. I remember ANN mentioned this title some time back and then it just disappeared. I wondered if anyone had at least considered it. Now I actually want to see it. Provided I can track the madness. But hopefully this will see a release one day. We have Dead Leaves. It circulates quite a bit and I'm surprised that it's still holding up. I was never interested in this film mainly due to it's aesthetics and style. I already knew it was going to be a crazy fest. Maybe one day I may take the plunge.

Mind Game, now there's a film that really needs a release. It seemed quite a bit of people were waiting for a release but it never happened. Discotek would years later release 'Amazing Nuts'. It's been very disappointing that 'Mind Game' never got released. So Masaaki Yuasa, worked on this. Yeah, his work is very interesting indeed. I've only see one of his works, and that was Kemonozume, which I would love to see released, but THAT is as niche title as it gets. There is a site called 'AniPages', that devotes much of it's time introducing anime fans to artists like Yuasa, and others that have gone from cutting their teeth for well known animation studios to creating work that challenges the mainstream. Hopefully, one day we'll see Mind Game.
troizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I remember Dead Leaves blowing my mind when it aired on SyFy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3