• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:29 am Reply with quote
Will we be seeing the winners soon?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:10 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
Will we be seeing the winners soon?

Yes.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
What does soon mean?

Approx.....?
Akukame

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Last year it took somewhere between 2 and 3 weeks I think... And it hasn't even been 2 weeks yet. I'm sure they have plenty of other work to do, and plenty of entries to sort through.
AisuruMirai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Last year the pictures were posted & winners announced 1 week after the contest ended. I think there were seventy-something entries last year, with that huge prize package. The winning entry was so much better than everyone else's that it probably didn't take too long to determine the winner. Maybe it's a tougher decision this year. &, like you said, there are plenty of other things with which the staff are busy.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd guess that there were considerably fewer entries this year, since there are fewer things to win & less time to make a jack-o'-lantern. But again, I hope I'm wrong, & I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's entries.

じゃ、
アイスル未来
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
AisuruMirai wrote:
Last year the pictures were posted & winners announced 1 week after the contest ended. I think there were seventy-something entries last year, with that huge prize package. The winning entry was so much better than everyone else's that it probably didn't take too long to determine the winner. Maybe it's a tougher decision this year. &, like you said, there are plenty of other things with which the staff are busy.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd guess that there were considerably fewer entries this year, since there are fewer things to win & less time to make a jack-o'-lantern. But again, I hope I'm wrong, & I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's entries.

じゃ、
アイスル未来

^^;; Sorry, sorry. All the entries and winners will be posted within the next two days.
mmmdraco

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:53 am Reply with quote
And, now it's been another 5 days. Were there problems in getting the results together?
AisuruMirai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote
Congratulations firefly!!! Once again I come in second to a pumpkin vastly better than everyone else's. In fact, I think that's the best jack-o'-lantern I've ever seen. Enrique Roche's is great, too. Is that a scene from NANA? I can't tell. It's a panoramic two-tone! Nice.

Thank you ANN! Thank you FUNimation!

また今度ね、
アイスル未来

Last edited by AisuruMirai on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
nemeseyes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
Congratulations to the winners. I've definitely been out-carved. m(_ _)m

Just a small correction. I believe my entry was mixed up with Lisa Ho's. I did the Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man carving.^^;;
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
That was some great work! That grand winner was really nice, kind of make me want to do some pumpkin art..... Wink
Votary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't seem like that many people entered, compared to last year.
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
all of the carved Pumpkins are great! I like the winner chosen. So much detail, how do you do it so well X__X
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:21 pm Reply with quote
what's the third one supposed to be? i can't tell.
Akukame

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote
<-- Enrique

Yes, its all of the Black Stones from Nana. Carved about 180 degrees in the pumpkin. I took a large portion out of the original picture trying to make it look as best I could two toned on a not very large pumpkin (the cut area was about 5 inches tall).

Definately a lot of work put into that death note pumpkin. I can only imagine how flimsy his eye, jaw, and moth were to cut. I imagine anyone whos cut a pumpkin knows how delicate you must have had to been.

Yours aswell is quite nice AisuruMirai. Looks like it actually would have been really interesting to carve with the hair creating that web. And either thats a really high exposure or that pumpkin is just paper thin.

As for Kate Bernd's, I only wish it was lighted better. Perhaps thinned out a bit more so the light shined better. I almost feel like I'm missing out on the detail in alphonse' left half because of it.

I guess the smaller prize and later announcement made less of a turnout this year~ Theres only what? about 1/5th the entrants this year? And twice the winners. Some of the non-winning entries last year truly blew me away. People really went over the top.

Not that this years were bad, there are still some gems. I really like Jeff & Monica Hartley's.
Votary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for Kate Bernd's, I only wish it was lighted better.

Sometimes photos just don't do justice; the rules said no contrast/brightness adjusting. So I had to send the best picture I got. In real life it was much brighter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4