• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Anu Natsu de Matteru OVA gives hope for second season.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I was very very happy to see the J. C Staff release of the wonderful new OVA for Anu Natsu de Matteru あの夏で待ってる , and feel some hope that it means there may be a new season. I always have felt this heartwarming and wonderful series deserves a full new cycle to complete the story, there were hints in the OVA but i won't spoil anyone who has not seen it yet. If you haven't and you liked the series as I did, you should ..it is very well done and is far from just a recap, it uses fresh new viewpoints, and the characters have matured and grown and so have the relationships in the story.

There is visible character development in some of the main characters, they have grown, and matured in the two years since the time frame of the main part of the first series. That sort of attention to detail is just one example of the very high quality and focus given to this series. It avoids and escapes many of the potential dangers a series like this can hit if they rely too much on old and outworn themes. It is fresh, strong and the OVA continues this tone.

I am very hopeful, truly Anu Natsu is one of the best anime to come along in a long time, the art and animation are very well done, the high key colour scheme and art style works superbly and i loved the story and the treatment. I know it is a continuation of Please Teacher, Please Teacher! (おねがい☆ティーチャー Onegai T?ch? but it is far fer better in all ways and holds its own among the genre. It tells many stories in a very successful setting, and shows what anime can do as an unmatched visual medium and story path.

I have great hopes for more. J.C. Staff brought the same team to work on the OVA who did the series, and there are hints ..and again i won't spoil anyone, there may be more.

I have posted this with Tempest's permission as a new topic even tho there is an old thread on this fine series, as I feel that this new OVA and the possibility that I feel it may suggest a continuation is worthy of new discussion and I hope to hear from others on this.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
eh, it was ok. not a whole lot of new material. if it leads to a new season, neat. if not, oh well.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
It showed some new sides of the characters, and the early development of the film project. I felt it was truly amazing how well they were able to recap the feeling and the authentic ambiance of the original. There was actually quite a few new scenes of the town, the school and the house interior and for a serious student of this and any fine anime that sort of detailing really offers a lot to see the style and the focus of the director and the art director of a series.

I am very glad they did this, and I am hopeful it indicates there may be a return to this series. I don't think J.C. Staff would have gone to so much effort to return the entire team, for even an OVA of this length is a huge project to undertake and to carry of with such care and such integrity with the original is no small feat.

Take note of the care they took also to age and advance the main characters in both appearance, being two years older and also in their relationships, that too took careful thought and effort. I am still very impressed with the high quality of this series, and feel its art style is one of the most modern and forward looking of just about any recent anime series.

Technically dealing with a hard focus art style such as this, with a high key colour scheme, there is no room at all for mistakes, and desynchs will be immediately apparent and I have yet to find any mistakes. The ease and the smooth delivery of this style makes the story focus powerful and very easy to follow and to enjoy and really enhances the many interacting sub plots and relations of the main story. Well done J.C. folks and I am going to wait hopefully for some more signs at the upcoming cons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1