• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jose Cruz Reviews Anime Titles. Latest: Bofuri

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I didn't have a problem with Captain X and his thread and I don't have a problem with Jose Cruz and this thread either. In fact, I actually applaud the time and effort that goes into making one of these, 'cause they're not easy.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
If only everyone put as much effort and thought as this guy did into commentary, I'm sure all of our experiences would be better for it.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:07 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz, I do not think you should interpret it that negatively. People were worried that it was against the rules and some might have been a bit irritated that you might have broken them.

BUT!

I love the idea of another review thread and you already got the green light from the mods. I'm going to read the reviews. Don't think that people aren't interested in reading your reviews if you don't get a lot of responses, the viewer count is more indicative.
Also, will you give this thread an index? Not like you have to, but it's easy for the reader to find a review for a certain show that way. If you want help, just ask.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:51 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I didn't have a problem with Captain X and his thread and I don't have a problem with Jose Cruz and this thread either. In fact, I actually applaud the time and effort that goes into making one of these, 'cause they're not easy.

I concur with dtm42. I had no problems with Captain X and his reviews and I don't have a problem with you doing the same here. It can also be tough writing things like this because you are basically putting yourself out there where everyone can scrutinize your thoughts and opinions. Keep it up and good luck!
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I do not know if it is possible, but I hope that you can ignore the negativity and continue with your reviews.
I really think that the complaints are not actually about you or your thread. They are really about something that happened previously.
You just happened to get caught in the crossfire.

By the way, I love Shin Koihime Musou Otome Tairan and have watched it, and its two predecessors four times.
Seriously.Smile

I liked the character design and the costumes were cool as well. But the rest was pretty mediocre. I think I enjoyed it mostly for sarcastic reasons though, the type "it's so bad it's good", same reasons why I enjoyed Hitchcock's movies (yes, I think they are really badly made and I like to laugh at them, of course, most film critics would disagree but that's my personal impression). I am not very good at writing reviews but I like to talk about the stuff I am watching in more detail than it's appropriate for the "rate the last thing you watched thread". So I created this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote
If you liked the character designs, you should consider importing Shin Koihime Musou for the PS3. The game has really gone under the radar in the west compared to other fighting games, but it really is a fantastic fighting game and well worth the price.
Youtube: 真・恋姫†夢想~乙女対戦☆三国志演義
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
Meh, I wrote 2 pages for my Gankutsuou review and apparently I forgot to press the "submit" button. Well, I just write another one:

Gankutsuou (2004)

The Count of Monte Cristo is an absolutely classic novel of major cultural influence that was adapted into many mediums. It was expected that naturally, at some point an anime adaptation of the novel would be produced and it is indeed a success.

It's very different from the original though in changing the setting from early 19th century France to the far future. Changing the the novel setting for a sci fi setting where we have "knights" who fight using mechas, making it a very "anime-ish" adaptation of the novel in a sense. The protagonist point of view also has been changed from the Count's to Albert's point of view and the Count's past is them shown in further episodes (which appears to be now a traditional Japanese narrative structure: to begin in the middle and reveal the character's back-stories as we go through the episodes of the show, indeed, I think it tends to make the characters more real in that way because in real life that's how we meet new people: we learn about their past from recollections not from watching it in a chronological way).

This adaption was very powerful in the sense of conveying the pure desire of revenge. That's obviously the main theme of the novel but the way the series exposes the count's sole purpose in life makes for a very powerful and depressing experience. And the tragic finale further extends this powerful feeling that I felt. Character development is great overall, though that's not only thanks to the staff but to the original source material as well.

The series visuals are great as well. Very distinctive and creative in a way. It certainly looks Japanese in terms of character design but also looks very distinct. As it portrays a futuristic society with 19th century French aesthetic sensibilities. Though the use of CGI may be excessive IMO, I like when CGI is used sparingly like in RahXephon, for instance, here they used it too much and now some scenes look rather dated.

It's perhaps one of the best series of the decade, I give it a 9/10 rating for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
YuruYuri (2011-2012)

YuruYuri is a rather conventional show of the now quite popular Cute Girls doing Cute Things Genre but it spices thing up a little by introducing yuri elements into the show. K-On already had a few explicit yuri elements but nothing systematic while this show can be regarded as one where these elements form a substantial portion of the whole. One of the great risks of shows of this genre is becoming boring since there usually is no plot to keep the audience engaged. Hidamari Sketch was more purist in that regard since there wasn't absolutely nothing of the sort of plot, it was a show about nothing. Here we also have slice of life but usually some sort of basic plot is incorporated in the narrative. For instance, the episode where Akarin travel's back in time is very plot intensive and remains one of the most memorable episodes of this two season series.

Visually the show is pretty conventional, lacking the visual audacity of other examples the genre can offer such as Hidamari Sketch and Nichijou, and also lacking the technical proeficiency of the animation in K-On! (which I find truly awe-inspiring), still the technical quality of the animation is generally good and the character designs are pretty good too. Not as distorted as some other anime titles (Clannad comes to mind as well as most of Kyoani's output) but also super-cute in it's own way. The whole show has a very light visual feel as well, with muted colors and everything appears to be closer to white than most other anime titles.

Characters are also pretty memorable and each appears to have very particular personalities, in a way superior in these terms than the other shows mentioned. It is a highly recommended consistent slice of life comedy, my rating is 8/10,
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
Honey and Clover (2005-2006)

Having recently finished this two season series now it's the time to review it. I am not greatly experienced with josei manga or stuff based on josei manga, but this appears to be a typical title aimed at the target demographic. Shoujo and josei manga appear to be extremely psychological and focused on the portrayal of inner emotions. As well as the fact that it's very dramatic at many parts.

In terms of art/animation it is pretty conventional though sometimes is makes some creative use of symbolism, of the "josei" sort used to transmit characters emotions through the use of symbolism plus the usual distortion of time and space as characterized by typical manga art. Nothing great to be expected here with respect to visuals, though in terms of detail it's certainly above average.

Sometimes the show gets a little melodramatic, almost manipulative, which reminds me a little of Brazilian soup operas, but always with other elements mixed in so that I wouldn't say that I can point out anything that appears absolutely manipulative (unlike, for instance, that postmortem scene in Grave of the Fireflies).

Excellent character development all around although the series is a bit weak in terms of visuals/direction, so I give it a 8/10.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Jose Cruz, I do not think you should interpret it that negatively. People were worried that it was against the rules and some might have been a bit irritated that you might have broken them.

BUT!

I love the idea of another review thread and you already got the green light from the mods. I'm going to read the reviews. Don't think that people aren't interested in reading your reviews if you don't get a lot of responses, the viewer count is more indicative.
Also, will you give this thread an index? Not like you have to, but it's easy for the reader to find a review for a certain show that way. If you want help, just ask.

I would concur with Amystery on this. People probably were just concerned it violated the rules as typically thread bumping is frowned upon and generally such reviews are often better suited for an actual thread on that title itself. If Tony says that it's all kosher like Jewish salami than rock out with your socks out. I am curious if there is a method to which shows you review. What I mean is are you going in some sort of particular order or desire, or simply reviewing each show as you see it then and there? In case you didn't know there's also the My ANN section where you can give shows ratings and even post your own reviews as well. I mentioned it because you might want to also copy your posts here and put them there for anyone who might check it out as well. Just thought you'd like to know that.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
@Psycho 101, I might do that. I haven't updated my list here in a while though. I will add those texts into my anime page.

Diebuster (2004)

Sequel to the 1988's classic, Diebuster is a very entertaining and interesting OVA series. Though I found some episodes significantly more compelling than others. Overall, though, it's a pretty good visual treat. I still would think that the character designs and visuals were a bit too cartoony for my tastes. The original 1988 OVA had a bit more gritty realistic feel to it which is lacking in this more "moe" looking sequel.

Also, in this sequel the level of visual aggression has been increased (as expected in sequels), reminding me of FLCL. In fact, this OVA is a mix between the original Gunbuster, preserving the feel of the original (which was very "Hideaki Annoish") and showing heavy influences from FLCL on the visual level. As a result some scenes were very intensive in adrenaline though other elements of it were rather silly for me (who is not a very big fan of mecha). In particular the elements of the last parts of the series such as spoiler[using the Earth as a projectile to increase dramatic tension] in the series. My favorite parts were the first and third episodes. The first was more comedic than the rest of the series, working better on that level and the third was the one I found the most poignant (in fact, it reminded me a bit of EVA).

Overall, it's a very good OVA with a very characteristic atmosphere, my rating is 8/10 (it's like the 4th time I give this rating out of 10 reviews, well, at least I am not giving 10's all the time).
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
Gunbuster (1988)

Since I reviewed Diebuster nothing better than reviewing the old original classic, isn't it? Gunbuster is in many ways the synthesis of otaku anime circa 1988. Directorial debut of Hideaki Anno when he was a young 28 year old otaku, it's a reflection of the director's own obsessions which are also are the male otaku in their 20's own obsessions: naturally, it's military science fiction featuring a substantial volume of over the top action scenes involving giant mecha (obvious influence on series like Gurren Laggann and Kill la Kill), it has a huge number of explosions, large attention given to a cast of mainly young female characters and tons of erotic scenes.

I love the particular atmosphere of the show. It's very late 1980's, very Hideaki Anno and also obvious influence on later anime shows like Evangelion which basically follows the artistic evolution of the elements displayed here. While Gunbuster can be regarded as the celebration of otaku anime, Evangelion is the critique. But both works feature that special feeling/atmosphere characteristic of Hideaki Anno's works. As one of the main auteurs of the medium, his work has a very special feeling which I greatly enjoy and admire. I think he is incredibly underrated among western anime fans considering how many inferior artists are more widely praised.

Also, since it's an OVA the quality of the animation is higher than usual for contemporary anime series and the lack of digital technology used in it's production gives it a more organic and detailed feel than contemporary productions. It also includes several explicit references to great anime which influenced Anno, such as My Neighbor Totoro, Nausicaa and Space Battleship Yamato as shown in a collection of posters in the main character's little apartment.

Anyway, this is an absolute classic and one of the defining works of the medium. It was the first to define in many ways the "Gainax/Hideaki Anno style" of animation which is present in a growing number of titles.

My rating is 10/10.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
Yuyushiki (2013)

As one of those slice of life anime based on a 4 panel comic, it's basically a watered down version of Azumanga Daioh with less interesting characters. I also didn't like very much the particular character designs though I liked the animation and attention to detail in many scenes (the scenes showing their hands clicking on the mouse is very well done IMO). It's one of those cute girls doing cute things that has become rather popular which I enjoy watching but this particular title is perhaps the least memorable of all I have watched.

I have very little to say about it, overall it's a pretty standard deal: girls goofing around acting cute and retarded with a more straight character to serve as the audience's perception. I give it an above mediocre rating of 6/10 because I found it more enjoyable than some of the stuff I watched recently.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Blassreiter (2008)

Urobuchi's first anime series (I believe) showcases his typical trademarks: heavy, over the top drama (one could say "melodramatic", but I would describe it as more aggressive than that and a bit sadistic in fact), the genre is essentially classic tragedy and it includes action and horror elements. In fact, it's pretty close to a beta version of Madoka in some way, it has many of the same particular elements like the main characters losing their humanity in the physical sense and even silly transformations (though that's common in Japanese genre fiction in general), some science fiction elements (this case more sci fi borderline fantasy, Madoka is fantasy with some sci fi elements). It is not as well executed as his later work and I found the first episodes to be a bit boring before I was drawn into the narrative.

The plot is pretty interesting in fact. I found the appearance of Obama and Merkel pretty amusing and it also criticizes the US's approach of solving it's international problems using strategic bombing in relative disregard for foreign civilian lives. Although I disliked the power rangers approach to the vehicles operated by the "New Knight Templars".

The art style is very "2008'ish" because current anime series have already evolved a distinct style from "old" stuff like it. And the excessive use of CGI is also a problem, specially the very crude CGI in this series. It's pretty crude looking is compared to the CGI in more current series, for instance, Urobuchi's own Aldnoah Zero.

My rating is 7/10. Good but among the weakest titles Urobuchi was involved in.

My ratings for the other works he was involved in:

Phantom (2009) - 8/10
Madoka (2011) - 10/10
Fate Zero (2012) - 9/10
Psycho-Pass (2013) - 9/10
Gargantia (2013) - 6/10
Madoka: Rebellion (2014) - 7/10

I need to watch his new stuff. I am watching Aldnoah Zero.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (2013)

This series was a disappoinment, for two reasons: One, is the only series Urobuchi was involved in which I wouldn't think is really worth watching, second, because it started out really good and ended really bad. Urobuchi said this series was made for younger audience than his usual work, indeed the manga is listed as Shounen demography in wikipedia (though Psycho Pass' manga is also classified as shounen and it's perhaps his most mature series).

The first episodes of Gargantia are excellent, showcasing great character development and world building. The art style is also very good, the animation was excellent and the whole thing was extremely pleasant and felt a bit like classic science fiction. Then things started to get weaker and weaker, by the time the Chamber was enunciating his final lines I was disgusted with the ways the series turned out with this cliche Hollywood ending. Well, I guess the writers wrote themselves into a corner and that was the way they could finish the plot. I guess just turning it into a pure sci fi slice of life series like Aria (as it was looking like to become) was just "out of their beach" as we say in Brazil.

My rating is:

9/10 for the first half
3/10 for the second half
Which averages out as 6/10, which is a rating I regard as pretty average. Usually I watch stuff that looks like it will be interesting so my ratings rarely fall below 6.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6