• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Eternal Summer English Dub Casts Vic Mignogna as Rin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
Let's be honest for a sec, a LARGE portion of the Vic-hate is because he "poo-poo"ed on people's "fav pairings".
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I've come to realize that mentioning Vic Mignogna on an anime forum is like the Boodocks' equivalent of throwing a chair into a large crowd of people.

It's guaranteed to start a full-on riot, no matter when, no matter where.

I didn't know all this drama was going on in the Dub Community.
*sips a drink while continuing to read thread*

MagicallyDelicious wrote:
They should have just re-cast Miyano as Rin in the English dub, too. His English was fine in the Australia episode

LOL and SMH. Delusional but funny.
Conclusion: This whole thread is a mess #subsforeva
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:04 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
ALL THE THINGS SAID HERE.

Thank you, a million times this.

The rumors and the vitrol was really uncomfortable.

But regardless, I really am happy that he took the role, he really does have a lot of common roles with his Japanese counterpart.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
I really hope he doesnt attempt an australian accent because I am thoroughly convinced the average american has no idea what an actual average australian accent sounds like. This theory was further supported by the amount of Free fans who remarked that Rin's host parents 'sounded british and not australian' in the australia episode. It really makes me wonder if funi will leave all the spoken australian english in tact or not...im just being paranoid, right? Its funny (and cringeworthy) to imagine though.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote
Makes me wonder how they're gonna do that episode in the first place? Are they just going to pretend to be speaking in another language while still speaking the same one?
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote
They did that in the K-On movie, and it was as stupid as that sounds. Smile
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Never thought about it before, but (in limited cases obviously) that's a valid argument against dubbing a work into another language. Since if the original made a realistic effort to have the characters speak a second language (in anime, often (but not always) English) there's not a GOOD way to show the change when its OBVIOUS they're speaking English. (ie. characters from Japan visiting: US, UK, Australia, etc)

(Character suddenly has conversation with citizen of foreign country being visited)
"Wow, X knows English?"
(yeah, and so do you, you've been speaking it for 20 episodes already)

This isn't meant as a comment against dubs in general btw, just something I was pondering.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
They did that in the K-On movie, and it was as stupid as that sounds. Smile

I get that it's probably unavoidable, but I really they don't try and fake Austalian accents when speaking "English". That would just be rude and probably offensive.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
In games, at least, if a Japanese game has an American/English character, the character in the English version will be French.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe they could just use Japanese English, which might as well be foreign language anyways. Laughing
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
In games, at least, if a Japanese game has an American/English character, the character in the English version will be French.

French seems to be the go-to alternative in some anime as well. Hamtaro 's American dub changed a few American characters into French from what I recall. Pokemon had a bit of a mess up doing this though. They changed Melissa (Fantina) from an American who speaks in broken English to a French woman. Later on when it was revealed Kalos was based on French people wondered if she would make an appearance there because of this, when in fact she would be from Isshu, which was based on America instead.

It's odd though, because they kept Matis (Lt. Surge) as being American in the Red and Blue games, they just removed his gratuitous English swearing. Not sure why they decided to change Melissa in the end.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:55 am Reply with quote
Well it would be pretty hard to change Sydney to Paris. Unless they want to pretend the Opera House is the Eiffel Tower.

Yeah I am curious and nervous about what their plans for that episode are as well.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Well it would be pretty hard to change Sydney to Paris. Unless they want to pretend the Opera House is the Eiffel Tower.

Darn Free! and their use of actual landmarks! (Not just opera house, but the park, hotel and of course the swim center).
To be fair, all they would have to do is change Haru's "what are they saying" lines somehow and they could pretend there's no language barrier in the first place (Haru's quiet in the first place so it wouldn't be odd for Rin to always do the talking).
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
break out the popcorn ladies and gents. this thread's going to get interesting

come on. i wouldnt say it was leaked. everyone knew that mignona would get the role as rin. it was a uber no brainer for that character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
I just really can't see them re-writing Rin as a French person, or passing off the locations in Australia he visits (where I remember a notable landmark or two showing up) as actually being France. Plus, I think we're in the stage of anime-fandom now where they're not going to do such extensive re-writes, knowing it will piss off the fans--especially for what's essentially a "fanservice" title (and is getting cast with that in mind). The Pokemon dub from 15 years ago is a completely different story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9