• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Eternal Summer English Dub Casts Vic Mignogna as Rin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
getchman wrote:
break out the popcorn ladies and gents. this thread's going to get interesting

come on. i wouldnt say it was leaked. everyone knew that mignona would get the role as rin. it was a uber no brainer for that character.

did you quote the wrong person? nothing in your response has anything to do with what I said
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they can have them speaking Wapanese with subtitles when in the presence of the Australians. That would be a hoot. Very Happy
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
This role was badly miscast, in my opinion.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I really hope he doesnt attempt an australian accent because I am thoroughly convinced the average american has no idea what an actual average australian accent sounds like. This theory was further supported by the amount of Free fans who remarked that Rin's host parents 'sounded british and not australian' in the australia episode. It really makes me wonder if funi will leave all the spoken australian english in tact or not...im just being paranoid, right? Its funny (and cringeworthy) to imagine though.

I've just been watching the episode (subbed, of course). To an Australian the voices of the host parents were fine, especially Russell's, although the acting was wooden. After all, they were Australian actors playing the parts. What impressed me is how they got the light and feel of Sydney pretty right (although I'm a Melburnian, I am familiar with Sydney) and the people looked Australian. Kudos to them.

Edit: I just got to the bed problem. The pub has authentic Victorian (as in era, not state) design - even the staircase and landing are typical, while the reservation clerk is brilliant. She looks Australian, sounds Australian and has Australian attitude.

And they all say Oztraya properly. Wink

Mmmm... The Australian swimmer sounded pommy. That wasn't so good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beldarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
...I'm kind of amused at all the Vic hate. You people don't even have any solid proof that he's a homophobe - apparently even the tiniest remarks can get people labeled as homophobic since the Internet is a cesspool of lies.

Yullenator wrote:
Oh, or the homophobic bull claims of Fai and Kurogane not being gay because apparently he speaks Japanese and CLAMP told him?
http://youtu.be/8RdHhHkh6Rw?t=4m
And then to top it off, he put Fai in heteronormative female gender roles, forgetting that he's a guy?

Saying Fay and Kurogane aren't gay isn't "being homophobic". Seriously, does the Tsubasa fandom have proof that they ARE gay? I'm a fujoshi myself, but most of the yaoi fandom makes me feel embarrassed to be one. The rabid portion of the fandom keeps shipping anything that moves, even if there was proof that the characters were straight (need I remind you that some of the Free! fangirls even hate Gou and Chigusa just because they're girls?).

And let's see... I'm both a fujoshi and a Free! fan, but I don't ship any of the guys in this series. I see the hints, but that's what they are: just hints and nothing to be taken seriously. In my opinion, Haru and the rest aren't gay at all - just BFFs. I will only believe when given solid proof.

PS. Back on topic, I'll wait and see what Vic sounds like as Rin before forming an opinion. I've noticed the same problem (that he tends to sound the same), but some Japanese voice actors I like ALSO have this issue (Akira Ishida, Takehito Koyasu, Junichi Suwabe) - yet they've all shown that if given the opportunity, they can sound completely different (Akira Ishida's voices are always the same, but he can make a character different by changing his tone; Koyasu can make two "amused troll" characters sound different with just a pitch and tone change; and Suwabe can pull off Kuroshitsuji's Undertaker). And Vic actually has a much wider range than given credit for... his Kensei Ma in History's Strongest Disciple sounds quite different from his usual roles.
Norbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
It's just a "bromance", noting more complicated than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9