• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's RIN-NE Manga Gets TV Anime Next Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1thought

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
No Animation studio mentioned I assume it will be Sunrise.

The manga is already at 260 chapters in Japan. I assume it last probably 300 something chapters. But no as many as Urusei Yatsura 366 chapters or Ranma 1/2 407 chapters.

If it gets a 6pm-8pm timeslot the TV ratings will probably be pretty high. Like 10%-13% or higher.

Although Inuyasha The Final Act got a late night airing/early morning airing.

I also assume this will be a full length series and be about 100 episodes long and the manga will end before the anime does.

Last edited by 1thought on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am a bit surprised people look with good eyes Viz picking up this anime only a few days after learning of the botched Sailor Moon release. I guess people really enjoy Viz's screwed discs.

Then we look at Viz's RANMA releases and see how amazing they can be (plus there would be no remastering work necessary with Rin-Ne). Also not everyone has serious problems with Viz's SM release...

Also, I can't see anyone other than Viz picking this up anyway.
1thought

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
The Ranma Blu Ray has very difficult to read white subtitles though.
Which from what I've been told is on every recent Viz Blu Ray and DVD. Even Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet BD+DVD recent review mentions this subtitle problem.

It's a shame because the video quality is very good on the Ranma set.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
1thought wrote:
If it gets a 6pm-8pm timeslot the TV ratings will probably be pretty high. Like 10%-13% or higher.

Although Inuyasha The Final Act got a late night airing/early morning airing.

I also assume this will be a full length series and be about 100 episodes long and the manga will end before the anime does.

The Sunday morning lineup is looking a little weak to me these days, so there may indeed be an opening there soon enough. (At least I haven't heard of "World Trigger" or "Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro" really taking off in their respective slots....)

"Inu-Yasha" lost its prime-time spot when the first series ended, and I guess they couldn't get another one when they decided to go back and finish it. Really glad they made "The Final Act" anyway, though, because it wraps things up very nicely for that series.

Sometimes the early Sunday shows do adapt manga that are still running but close to ending. "Cross Game" was like that, which was wonderful because we got a full adaptation with no filler.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
This looks like it's going be very interesting to see. A "RIN-NE" anime. I've read the manga and it's pretty good. I hope the anime's just as good. And,on an extremely personal note,I hope there's an American character in there too. No disrespect to those like EricJ2 but it would be interesting to see how Ms. Takahashi portrays an American.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:07 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Oh boy! Now we get to do the Rumiko Takahashi Drinking Game again. Take a shot if:

Wow what a surprise, mangaka sometimes repeat their own tropes. This is a thing that happens with almost every mangaka who writes a bunch of series. Not sure why Takahashi exclusively gets targeted for it.

As for Kappei voicing Rinne, well I wouldn't be opposed. He took a very different approach with Ranma and Inuyasha (which was excellent, as contrary to common statements, those two leads are nothing alike), so I'm sure he could do the same with Rinne.

But it might be fun to bring someone different into the pool for once. The voices in the commercial aren't likely to reflect the voices in the anime, although they might. The commercial is five years old.

Richard Cox is a nope though. He was a poor fit for Inuyasha, and he'd be an even poorer fit for Rinne.

Anyway, the manga hasn't been a big success but I have a feeling it might find more popularity on tv. Not sure if Sunrise will be animating. They did Inuyasha, but that's also the only Takahashi series they've done. Of course Kitty films is long gone, but even the Rumic Theater and Mermaid Saga anime of the early 2000s were done by TMS, not Sunrise. So there's not really a precedent for Sunrise, although I would be pleased if it were them because it's sure to look good then.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote
Nice...
It's a good thing since RumiTaka is a proven winner.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:28 am Reply with quote
If Uchiyama Kouki will return as the male lead I won't mind. I find Uchiyama's preformence as Amagi Brilliant Park's Kanie Seiya as both hilarious and serious
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
I was wondering whether this would happen at all. I've had the impression this hasn't been nearly as popular as her previous work - but then again, that doesn't necessarily mean "unsuccessful" either. How far off am I there?

Ranma and Inyuyasha came at the right time in the west,

Ranma was the early days of the Anime boom in the west and it was on of the few to come over that was marketable for kids, and it was before DBZ and Pokemon came over so there was less competition.

Inyuyasha was around the early 00s, which was after the hype around DBZ had died down and before One Piece, Naruto and Bleach came over.

If they had out at different times I doubt they would of been as popular. In Japan however nearly all her work is popular, she is the richest women in Japan after all.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:45 am Reply with quote
Excellent news ! Finally an anime to look for after such long time (well with Saint Seiya Golden Saints one too).

I would love to see Kappei Yamaguchi voice the title role but if they use th e same ones from the commercial (which is a logical choice too) then it's cool with me since they sounded fine.

Well my hope is that either the JP BD release will contain sub or even better if Viz license it and release it on BD like what they did with Ranma 1/2. Though that means i won't be seeing the show at home until maybe 2016 but at least i know it would be joining my collection.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Oh boy! Now we get to do the Rumiko Takahashi Drinking Game again. Take a shot if:

-The male lead is voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi. Take an extra shot if the anime gets dubbed in Canada, and one more shot if the male lead is voiced by Richard Cox.
-The main couple bickers, making the viewer think they've accidentally put in an episode of "Married With Children."
-A perverted character appears.
-The male lead gets mistaken for a pervert in a comedic misunderstanding.
-A love triangle starts. Take an extra shot if more people get added.
-A shot x2 for every character whose design looks like they were rehashed from a previous work of Takahashi's.
-A filler episode happens.
-Chug down the whole bottle if the anime ends a few years before the manga does because of the excess filler.

I think I just caused an otaku genocide via alcohol poisoning.

Yeah she makes some good premises but ends up following the same formula.

When I watched Ranma, in the latter part of the show I could guess what would happen. They will try and find a way back to China that will fail, a mythical creature/power will end up being a comedic joke, a hot spring or bathhouse, Rnama will turn back and forth, get accused of peeping and be groped at some point, one of the girls or boys will adduct and try to marry Ranma/female Ranma or Akane.

At least they were some episodes that broke from the norm.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to Ro-kun given his voice actor. Twisted Evil
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
While I am not saying there are no similarities between Takahashi's work I don't see that she is writing the same story over and over again either.

Okay I have not read UY but Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha, Maison Ikkoku, Mermaid Saga, and One Pound Gospel were all very different stories.

I also feel a lot of the tropes that people complain about are exaggerated in the anime versions.

I admit I haven't followed Rinne but then I try to avoid longer series now. I will give the anime a chance though if it has a set episode count like Magi without the filler.

Quote:
When I watched Ranma, in the latter part of the show I could guess what would happen. They will try and find a way back to China that will fail, a mythical creature/power will end up being a comedic joke, a hot spring or bathhouse, Rnama will turn back and forth, get accused of peeping and be groped at some point, one of the girls or boys will adduct and try to marry Ranma/female Ranma or Akane.

But that isn't what Ranma was ultimately about. The goal was never important spoiler[hence nothing is really resolved in the end] I know the ending of Ranma frustrated a lot of people and because of it we still get the silly notion that Takahashi can't end her series (even though that was one of the only ones without a definite ending).

The fact of the matter is the ending of Ranma was never important. The manga is pretty episodic like a sitcom where we watch Ranma, Akane, and friends get into their crazy hijinks and the end of the manga basically promises more of the same.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

First: Rinne is a completely different personality from Inuyasha and Ranma.
Sakura and Rinne don't really fight at all. When they do, it's just Sakura's silence.
Actually, I don't think the characters look very similar to any of Takahashi's previous works.
Seriously. I wish people would stop comparing this manga to things like Inuyasha, since it's VERY different. The genre is more similar to Ranma 1/2.

I agree completely.
It is not very meaningful to compare Rinne to Inuyasha, or even Ranma 1/2.
The characters and stories are very different.
In terms of personality Rinne is almost the opposite of Inuyasha and Ranma, and Sakura is not at all like Kagome or Akane.

kazenoyume wrote:
Wow what a surprise, mangaka sometimes repeat their own tropes. This is a thing that happens with almost every mangaka who writes a bunch of series. Not sure why Takahashi exclusively gets targeted for it.

I think that it is probably because she is so prolific and successful.
She has been creating manga for over 35 years and has five long series, at least two shorter series, and more short stories than I want to count.

Anybody who wants something popular to criticize has a very big target to aim at.

I wonder if there has ever been a list of the most prolific mangaka, in terms of number of magazine pages published. If there is a list I will bet that Rumiko Takahashi is near the top of it.
I think that I might try my Google skills, such as they are, on that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Some staff announced:

Director: Seiki Sugawara
Series Composition: Michiko Yokote
Studio: Brains Base

This will air for 25 episodes on NHK-E so it will replace Log Horizon 2nd Season.

Source: Mainichi Shimbun Digital

Did not expect Brains Base for the studio
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3