• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What shows are you holding out for Blurays?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
So in the last few years obivously there have been some shows coming out that have been 'dvd' only that I want to buy. I however feel awkward making the purchase only for the bluray to come out later.

This also puts me in a bit of a weird situation. At the same time I want to buy and support the dvds here in the US, but it makes me wonder if its my DVD purchase that helps contribute to the Bluray coming out or if it's just a matter of the production company not being able to release the Bluray until X amount of time has past. I feel like a lot of Sentai shows in the last year or two have come out on DVD only and eventually turned to bluray (deadman wonderland, clannad, etc)

I do however buy shows on dvd when I do not think there's a chance they'll get a bluray release (Kurenai, And Yet the Town Moves)

Here are some shows I'm holding out for for blurays to arrive:

Vividred Operation - Unfortunately these colorful girls are only on dvd. No mayo for me.

My Teen Romantic Comedy Snaifu - took a chance on this show recently and was quite surprised. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to the next season... dvd is only $20 right now on rightstuf though @@...

Waiting in the Summer - never saw Please Teacher but really enjoyed this show.

How do you guys like to operate? Are there some shows that you're holding off for the blurays to arrive? Are there times you buy DVD only releases or is that your prefered medium? >>
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I feel like a lot of Sentai shows in the last year or two have come out on DVD only and eventually turned to bluray (deadman wonderland, clannad, etc)
Deadman Wonderland was Funimation, not Sentai.

I'm not waiting on Blu-Ray for anything; I only recently (June '14) got a Blu-Ray player and even more recently got 5.1 sound to work with it, albeit inconsistently. And since my HDTV isn't particularly big (32"), DVD still looks okay on it. Plus, DVD's more portable via my portable DVD player or my laptop, which doesn't have a Blu-Ray drive. So I still buy DVD over Blu-Ray in cases where they're sold separately, with Madoka Magica (as the BDs are even more freaking expensive) and various Sentai shows like Clannad, Familiar of Zero, and Love, Election, & Chocolate.

Although I'm fine with DVD-only releases of recent/HD shows, I do wish companies would release Blu-Rays of them to satisfy more discerning fans and to have a fighting chance against the download scene. DVD-only releases are not only competing with the HDTV-rips that fans saw months or years ago, they're also competing with Blu-Ray rips from the Japanese discs, often with the English audio tracks (if present) added in.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm still learning about how my PS3 upscales, but I am starting to buy combo packs these days (at the very least, I can loan it out to a friend that way). I'm still torn on buying DVD or Bluray only things though (I bought Legend of Korra on bluray though, shame as I couldn't sell it with my 360 owning friend, had to get her the DVDs as a gift). I really wish Tiger & Bunny had been a combo pack though, that would've made things easier for me now (at least the second movie will be a combo pack).

I tend to, instead, wait for cheaper releases. Like that Railgun set coming out, combo pack and cheaper! But for older shows, like Rose of Versailles, I'm like "DVD-only? I'm cool with that" because those likely can't be made to be blu-ray anyway, they weren't native HD and just upscaling it could result in Interstella 5555. Or if they are bluray, it probably doesn't make much of a difference to me (I don't recall too much difference for Unico for example, except for them now having both movies on the same disc, that is nice). Although older movies I may still buy bluray, but I remembered popping in the Adieu Galaxy Express movie into my PS3 and being blown away at the upscaling (the first time I truly noticed how awesome it is as an auto-upscaler). Odds are, my PS3 could make my Yu Yu Hakusho DVDs look so close to the Bluray that it's not worth it to buy it again on bluray.

I am really really hoping that Funimation releases Outlaw Star again soon (if they do special edition stuff like they have for Bebop, I'd definitely buy it, and if they have more than one special edition, I'd buy them both for that show), even if I'm not 100% sure how big the difference would be (I just adore Outlaw Star is all)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
None. I'm not that hung up on format. In fact I usually go for the cheaper DVD option if I have to pick one or the other. If I am waiting to purchase anime it's because it's one of my low priority titles and I want the more economical, shelf-space-saving complete collection instead of parts. On that list is:

Attack on Titan
Aquarion EVOL
A Certain Scientific Railgun Season 1
Eureka 7: Ao
Fairy Tail
Log Horizon

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Was waiting on Blu-ray for Chuunibyou (which I still have not seen either season of but have looooooong wanted to), but with Sentai's ridiculously-priced LE BD box getting delayed, I will just pick up the DVD of it eventually...

I have been waiting for a price drop on Sentai's Angel Beats Blu-ray and their Clannad Blu-rays for YEARS, but it doesn't look like it's happening with that, so DVD will have to do for it.

Some of the titles that I am holding out on for Blu-rays are ridiculously expensive even on DVD (Love Live!, YuruYuri, to name 2), so the price is more what's holding me back on that.

There are a few non-anime things I am waiting for on BD too (like the quasi-anime TransFormers: The Movie (the animated one done by Toei in 1986), Rush Hour 2 & Bad Boys II).
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
These are two big iffies. Both have "kodomo" in the titles:

Kodomo no Omocha and Kodomo no Jikan...Kodocha got some complete DVD sets back in '10-'12 and Kojika BD plans went on indefinite hiatus following the earthquake. Both are top tier shows in my mind I would love to shelve them both on BD for all the world to see.

Other than that I'm about to finish up my Ghibli collection this winter and I went and sourced a like new copy of Eva 3.33 a few months ago. I could not wait any long for Khara/King Records to get their negotiations together with FUNimation any longer. I ended up buying the entire set of Eva Rebuilds for less than ¥10000.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
wmderemer wrote:
I have been waiting for a price drop on Sentai's Angel Beats Blu-ray
How cheap do you need it? It's been in the $25 range a couple of times.

I passed on buying those gorgeous Utena DVD sets hoping we'd get blu-rays at some point, but that's pretty much the only thing I can think of. Most titles I'd want that I don't already have would just be upscales anyway.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
wmderemer wrote:

I have been waiting for a price drop on Sentai's Angel Beats Blu-ray and their Clannad Blu-rays for YEARS, but it doesn't look like it's happening with that, so DVD will have to do for it.

[/i]

Clannad is on sale on rightstuf right now.

Forgot to mention im also praying for a new Garden of Sinners Bluray set to include the newest movie ... >>...
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
And Angel Beats is now $24.49 at Rightstuf.

They also have the complete Utena set as the daily deal at $86.39. So tempting...
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Juden-chan and Kannagi were skipped over for bluray releases in america
probably never going to happen though
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
Juden-chan and Kannagi were skipped over for bluray releases in america
probably never going to happen though
Juden-chan still doesn't have a Blu-Ray release in Japan, so I don't see how the US has been skipped over.

luffypirate85 wrote:
Kodomo no Omocha and Kodomo no Jikan...Kodocha got some complete DVD sets back in '10-'12 and Kojika BD plans went on indefinite hiatus following the earthquake. Both are top tier shows in my mind I would love to shelve them both on BD for all the world to see.
I'd think Kodomo no Jikan would have better odds, since we all know its appeal to the otaku/collector market. I can't see them going for a lengthy and old shoujo dramedy though, and who knows what condition those film stocks are in.

classicalzawa wrote:
But for older shows, like Rose of Versailles, I'm like "DVD-only? I'm cool with that" because those likely can't be made to be blu-ray anyway, they weren't native HD and just upscaling it could result in Interstella 5555.
They certainly could be made into Blu-Ray, if they actually go back and rescan the film at a higher resolution to create a new HD transfer. Though as you say, they might just disastrously upscale their analog tape masters, as seen with Captain Tylor and 3x3 eyes from Japan and Sailor Moon from Viz. Still, a show that's 40 years old on film has no worse a chance of producing a good Blu-Ray than a show that's 10 years old and animated digitally in SD.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
I'd say the 40 year old show had a better chance since it is on film, which could mean some very high quality albeit grainy BDs. The SD will always be stuck at some resolution and upscaling can only take it so far. What happens in another 20 years when we've all got 8k TVs? That 2004 show will still be a 480p production with remastered assets 720p, and then upscaled to 1080p for the disc while the thing on film can be scanned at 8k. Sure that's nearly pointless for cheap 16mm film because you'll only be spending bitrate on better defining that grain instead of the overall image, but that possibility remains.

I can't believe people still doesn't understand that just because something is analog doesn't mean that it can't be perfectly amazing on BluRay. Something on film isn't "native" anything.
F-Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:53 am Reply with quote
Although I collect everything by Tezuka (including DVDs imported straight from Japan), I've purposefully avoided DVDs from before 2006 as they're more likely to be due for a re-release soon, and who knows, their next re-release could be on Blu-ray.

This turned out to be a good idea for another unforeseen reason: thanks to this the shows Anime Sols crowdfunds is all stuff I don't already own on R2 DVD so far.

Other than that, I'm waiting for Neon Genesis Evangelion, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Higurashi, and Spirited Away.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
Personally, I wait when something recent comes out shortly after it finished in Japan only on DVD.
I try to only buy BDs now unless it isn't likely to make a difference to the content, like RightStuf's release of Cobra. Otherwise, it's blu or no buy. I have no problem waiting. It worked out for Panty & Stocking and Is This a Zombie? among others.
I'm currently waiting on the second seasons of Is This a Zombie? of The Dead and Infinite Stratos. Probably others, but that's all that's popped into my head at the moment.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't understand what kadokawa is doing. They without hold the blu-ray release of zombie and sell us an expensive DVD. Then, when they actually release the BD it is a dirt cheap super saver edition. I mean, if they wanted money I would have paid more the first time. I guess if those few more JP sales really make such a huge difference, I will never know. Here is the juden-chan commemorative blu-ray box, it was released about 2 years ago and got bad reviews.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2