• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - To the Earth

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Erg! And here I thought ya gonna review the new XBLA game Beach Paddle! Laughing

It looks like an updated version of Pong, with added anime-style bikini girls. Does the XBox have arcade-style paddles (rotational knobs) available? Can this kind of game work without them?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Erg! And here I thought ya gonna review the new XBLA game Beach Paddle! Laughing

It looks like an updated version of Pong, with added anime-style bikini girls. Does the XBox have arcade-style paddles (rotational knobs) available? Can this kind of game work without them?

Haha, most people would've thought the "paddle" is for something else entirely.... Wink

I haven't seen the rotational knobs controller since Atari. Maybe they can use the Kinect? Laughing
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
I don't care much for Xenoblade (seriously, Monolith Soft's projects have never really been all that great; I'm starting to believe that Kato was more involved with Xenogears than Takahashi and Saga want to admit), but I do hope The Last Story comes over here. I can't blame Reggie for being picky about what comes over here considering the economic climate, but I do hope the game comes over
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
As much as I'd like to support Operation Rainfall, I can't really, for a simple reason... I can't afford to buy all those games new. After all, it is the power of the dollar that really makes a statement (I wouldn't be surprised to see Xenoblade cover over after that Amazon thing). Nothing would be more damaging to these games than to see one or more come out, only to bomb in sales becuase the folks clamoring for it suddenly need to wait for a sale or buy used or what-not. I can't put my money where my mouth is for these, so I have to stay out. I wish 'em luck, though.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
I dled the trial version of that Beach Paddle game; it's exactly what you would expect: Pong with anime girls in bikinis. It was kinda fun for five minutes or so. If you really like Pong and anime girls in bikinis you might wanna check it out.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
I feel sorry for John Casey, interestingly enough. Honestly, who doesn't love a good nerd rage explosion?

Still, I hope Operation Rainfall succeeds all the way through and sets a precedent by confirming it's the most effective way to beg for imports. Hopefully it'll bring in some worthy games in the future too.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Wow really people are knocking John Casey, because as far as I'm concerned he's right

I'm glad you want to see these games come out and all but have you played them? lol I was all behind last story because it was from Sakeguchi, until I actually played it and realized I had the same feeling while playing the beginning of Final Fantasy XIII, its so underwhelming and well.....boring, and Xenoblade just isn't fun, I can't say anything about Pandora's Tower because I haven't played it but honestly if I was an exec at Nintendo and people were trying to get me to spend money to localize, I wouldn't touch these because despite a number of pre-orders, once people actually had time to digest them, the reviews would be mediocre, thus making it not worth the time

Isn't that the point? We haven't played them? We could import them...but that defeats the point.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
In all honestly, nothing in this week's X Button article is of remote interest to me, besides the whole Rainfall thing.

I admit that it's an admirable effort since game companies don't seem to realize fans want to try everything that gets released, regardless of how the higher ups feel about the sales of the genre the "unknown" games fall under. According to most people I've asked, RPGs don't really seem to have much of a home on the Wii, unless it's Paper Mario, Legend of Zelda or the occasional Dragon Quest title. However, I won't deny that I would like to try Xenoblade and Last Story. The Wii still doesn't have a memorable enough RPG (I know what the general consensus is on Dawn of the New World and people said Super Paper Mario wrecked the series tradition), so I see no harm in trying to give people what they want.

In short: we're getting a mecha RPG with furries. Patty wagons and B-movies need not apply. Let's break for lunch.
thepsychogamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
To bad for Casey Operation Rainfall has already seen success, a US Xenoblade release has already been confirmed.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I thought Xenoblade was confirmed years ago, and then they didn't do anything about it and never mentioned it again. And that was the problem with it. (But if you have a link to this reconfirmation, that would clear everything up, I guess.)
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
thepsychogamer wrote:
To bad for Casey Operation Rainfall has already seen success, a US Xenoblade release has already been confirmed.

Really now!? Very Happy Mind showing me the link?
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
The funny part about this whole "Operation Rainfall" situation is that you know that no one is gonna buy these games. Everyone is gonna make big deal about them coming out, and then act baffled when they move like 40,000 copies. This has happened with pretty much every hardcore Wii game that isn't first party. That's why they don't bring them here.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Wow really people are knocking John Casey, because as far as I'm concerned he's right

The reason people are jumping on John Casey is that he went into a topic, and hoped that a fan effort to get more wii games failed. If he didn't want to talk about those games than don't talk about them. Stop acting like your opinion is the only one that matters.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
The funny part about this whole "Operation Rainfall" situation is that you know that no one is gonna buy these games. Everyone is gonna make big deal about them coming out, and then act baffled when they move like 40,000 copies. This has happened with pretty much every hardcore Wii game that isn't first party. That's why they don't bring them here.

It would be if these games weren't even leaving Japan. But Xenoblade and Last Story are both getting released in Europe and Australia. Dubbed and everything. The fact that NoA doesn't seem to want to expend the extra effort to get them to the States for what is essentially a finished product is probably what's really getting a lot of people angry.

And since the Wii's pretty much going to be eclipsed by the WiiU in a year or so anyways, why shouldn't they just throw their cards down?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
It would be if these games weren't even leaving Japan. But Xenoblade and Last Story are both getting released in Europe and Australia. Dubbed and everything. The fact that NoA doesn't seem to want to expend the extra effort to get them to the States for what is essentially a finished product is probably what's really getting a lot of people angry.

Yeah, that's my thinking as well. Even if these games don't sell a ton of units, if they're already being translated for an english audience then why not? There's no real downside to releasing them here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3