• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman Gets Reboot by Beyblade Team

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Divineking wrote:
No offense to these guys but most western involved attempts at rebooting classic anime franchises have ended very, very badly

I echo this statement. I also find it a bad sign they're using the title Battle of the Planets instead of Gatchaman. To me that is a sign this is a simple nostalgia cash in. Disappointed this looks to be more Robotech-style milking.

I also dislike the use of possible Flash/CG in this, given Canadian animation is generally very cheap looking. I'm reminded of that Speed Racer reboot cartoon Nickelodeon aired years ago.

With all the talk about merchandise I'm betting this is just a nostalgia cash grab. Chuck a show out, which will probably be a cheaper looking version of the original and sell a lot of crappy merchandise.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
We literally know nothing about this show aside from one teaser image, and it's not even coming out for another three years. That's plenty of time to make improvements, don't you think?
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Divineking wrote:
No offense to these guys but most western involved attempts at rebooting classic anime franchises have ended very, very badly

I echo this statement. I also find it a bad sign they're using the title Battle of the Planets instead of Gatchaman. To me that is a sign this is a simple nostalgia cash in. Disappointed this looks to be more Robotech-style milking.

I also dislike the use of possible Flash/CG in this, given Canadian animation is generally very cheap looking. I'm reminded of that Speed Racer reboot cartoon Nickelodeon aired years ago.

I'm with you on this, this is bad news. I guess Crowds got enough attention and old Battle of the Planet's franchise right were properly dirt cheap given it's track record. It just reinforces my feelings about western studios trying jump on the band wagon and doing on the cheap. We've not seen it, so I'm not going judge a show, but there too much bad history with this franchise under the BoP name.

Let Crowds soar, least it done with quality, not cheap writing. It's not everyone's bag, but least it something better than kiddized dumb down cartoons Western cartoon producers nowaday makes.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
He looks like a EVA.

Guess I was not the only one who immediately thought that. It almost seems blatant spoiler[(guess the producers might try to play cute and stuff it with hamfisted anime references)], though it is somewhat ironic/appropriate since Tatsunoko also co-produced the first Evangelion spoiler[(kinda-sorta)]. Like, it is only natural that Tatsunoko allow oversea companies to have their way with properties they own… spoiler[(hellooooooooo, Macross)]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
This is going to turn into another "The Americanized version I loved as a kid raped my adulthood" thread, isn't it?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Why? Well, three simple reasons. First, it is a rare anime property that has a superb legacy both in the East as well as in the West. Broadcasters, licensees, and retailers know and affectionately remember this brand. Second, the brand's DNA, […] as you will see in the clips shortly, lends itself perfectly to a full line of merchandisable figurines, vehicles, and role-play toys.

This is pretty much the reasons behind it, concise.

The old Battle of the Planets have some business cache - licensees would know what it is and what to do with it. The show lends itself to easily marketable merchandise. Unless there's another show where they can do that, that's what they gonna do. They're not here to sell discs.

It's good that it's separate from Gatchaman. That way, this show can sink or swim on its own without impacting Gatchaman.

Sam Murai wrote:

Like, it is only natural that Tatsunoko allow oversea companies to have their way with properties they own…

They already did that with Gatchaman when they had an agreement with Imagi Studio way back in 2004 for a movie:

PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I wish it wasn't called "Battle of the Planets," though honestly, I'm sure it will turn out better than the 70s dub of the original anime, which was pretty good for the time, but at least this show will be able to start from scratch to create whatever they want instead of repurposing existing animation to fit a completely different story (battles taking place in space, etc).

But Fall 2017 is an awfully long wait. 3 years (we'll have a new president by then). At least they're getting a head start, which should give them plenty of time to turn out SOMETHING that's not a rush-job.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what to think of this. I remember the original Battle of the Planets just barely. I was only 4 years old when it came out after all. I have no issue with the use of the American name, honestly I'm more concerned that this is being handled by people connected to Beyblade. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
I hope Paul Dini is one of the writers. He was supposed to write the CGI movie that never got finished, and you can never go wrong with one of the show-runners of "Batman: The Animated Series."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2