• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - On Activism (and other stuff)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Why do people automatically default to characters being straight?

Remember what I said about how it's more implied in same gender friendships that they must have some romantic relationship?

My question is why does a show like this automatically refer to a character being gay?

I never said it was a problem, I'm just generally wondering for those particular "Fanservice" shows that are catered to females. You said it yourself that Kyoto Animation knew what they were doing so the fangirls can create fanfiction.

To my eyes, I thought they were good friends. And then someone pretty much told me flat out that they are gay and if I didn't think otherwise I must be insane.

I don't have a problem with it, I just know if I say something opposite, they would act like I crushed their dreams.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Why do people automatically default to characters being straight? (Or gay for that matter.)

Well, if ya believe in the idea media reflects the culture it's made in, then since straight people make up the vast majority of people in the world, it's a safe assumption to assume the majority of fictional characters are straight by default unless proven otherwise. As far as America goes, about 3% of Americans considered themselves gay/bi last I looked into it, but I'm unsure how that statistic differs if you include other parts of the world. If you only look at gay/lesbian part and exclude bisexual orientation, then it's about half that number.

Exception being Bioware games where most people are gay/bi and straight people are the minority Laughing

Course it all depends on the person's perception too. How many times have you heard someone call something "gay" because two male character hugged or are best friends or something in anime? Like Naruto and Sasuke who get a lot of jokes about them Laughing Even if it's a platonic thing, the idea is gay to certain people who think men can't be emotional or intimate with other men. People are less likely to think girls are lesbian just because they hug a female friend because it's more accepted for women to be emotional and touchy-feely in our culture.
Norbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
... But I've also, in person, seen a darker side of this same person at a restaurant outside of the Washington Convention Center at SakuraCon in 2013...

Can you be a bit more specific?

Was it nothing more than they guy spent the whole day doing the whole "Convention Guest" thing, was finished with it, wanted to relax, but was still hassled by fans?
duomaxwelldoesddr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
It's very rare for me to log in to post - I am definitely more of a reader/lurker here on ANN, but I felt this justified it.

Mr. Sevakis, my hat is off to you. Your response hit the nail on the head, and the (sadly) uncommon wisdom you showed was brilliant. I would love to expound upon some of the finer points you stated, however I believe your post speaks for itself more than eloquently enough.

As someone who has grown weary with seeing hate campaigns on social media timelines and the like, I sincerely appreciate your giving clarification to the frustration and a relatively clear corrective course of action.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I remember the Vic interview on ANNCast where I think Zac brought up these rumors and, to paraphrase, Vic said, "show me the tapes. Everyone says they saw me on some YouTube video saying this and that but nobody can ever produce it."

All of the hate for this guy really seems to come from mystery videos that everybody has heard exist but that nobody has actually seen.

It's just anecdotal, but I've met him a few times and seen him on panels. He really isn't the gay bashing hyper-fundamentalist "you won't get an autograph unless you accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior," person that so many on the internet make out to be.
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
Who is the character shown in the image link to the article?

Looks like your question got lost in the Vic discussion. The character in the image is Rin Matsuoka from Free!, the guy Vic got cast as that started this whole mess.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Has Vic Mignogna ever really said anything homophobic or is this a bigoted assumption based on the fact that he's a Christian?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
How many times have you heard someone call something "gay" because two male character hugged or are best friends or something in anime? Like Naruto and Sasuke who get a lot of jokes about them Laughing Even if it's a platonic thing, the idea is gay to certain people who think men can't be emotional or intimate with other men. People are less likely to think girls are lesbian just because they hug a female friend because it's more accepted for women to be emotional and touchy-feely in our culture.

Pretty much this.

And I wish it can be okay for straight men to be that way but apparently, it's impossible according to fandom. >.>;;

This is pretty much why I feel like this "homophobic" protest against a VA who's character has an ambiguous (sexual) identity is really odd, because in their world, he IS gay.

Joe Carpenter wrote:
Has Vic Mignogna ever really said anything homophobic or is this a bigoted assumption based on the fact that he's a Christian?

Probably the latter.

From the last thing I've ever heard about Vic ever being against that kind of thing, is related to fanfiction of characters who were never that way in the first place. This was a convention that I went to a while ago, and I can agree how that can be a little uncomfortable.

For example, I cringe at hentai doujins of popular shows, like Sailor Moon. It does sell, but doesn't make it any less bothersome.

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I remember the Vic interview on ANNCast where I think Zac brought up these rumors and, to paraphrase, Vic said, "show me the tapes. Everyone says they saw me on some YouTube video saying this and that but nobody can ever produce it."

Zac and Justin mentioned in the comments for that episode that they specifically did not ask about the homophobia rumors. Vic did talk about his Christianity.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
[quote="tygerchickchibi"]
lostrune wrote:
Joe Carpenter wrote:

Probably the latter.

From the last thing I've ever heard about Vic ever being against that kind of thing, is related to fanfiction of characters who were never that way in the first place. This was a convention that I went to a while ago, and I can agree how that can be a little uncomfortable.

For example, I cringe at hentai doujins of popular shows, like Sailor Moon. It does sell, but doesn't make it any less bothersome.

It seems like "Vic Mignogna's homophobia" is the Bigfoot of anime fandom, some people claim to have seen it but where's the video proof? Laughing
meggu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Vic has openly stated he doesn't sign yaoi dj or other such works from fans. Definitely within his right, but this rubs people the wrong way and is sometimes used as evidence to prove his homophobia.

Personally, I think that's ridiculous.
Chuee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Why do people automatically default to characters being straight? (Or gay for that matter.) If there's no official word one way or another on matters of sexuality, is it not reasonable to decide based on the evidence provided? That is to say, to look at the behaviour of the characters and how they interact with one another in the actual show and then make an informed judgement.

Nobody assumes anything, though. It's a common trope in certain all-girls shows to sort of toy around with the idea of yuri relationships with certain characters without ever outright saying they're gay. I haven't seen Free but I've heard it's similar in the fact that it puts certain characters in situations together and has them be overly 'friendly' where they're toying on the line between being friends and being romantically attracted to each other. Given how Free is probably popular among Fujoshi in the same way that Yuri fans enjoy shows with yuri-bait shows I'd imagine Kyoani would want to toy around with Yaoi ideas to get them interested in it.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
meggu wrote:
this rubs people the wrong way and is sometimes used as evidence to prove his homophobia.

That is definitely a personal problem for people. But it still doesn't justify any of what they are doing.

They just sound like big babies.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
meggu wrote:
Vic has openly stated he doesn't sign yaoi dj or other such works from fans. Definitely within his right, but this rubs people the wrong way and is sometimes used as evidence to prove his homophobia.

Except that's ridiculous. There's plenty of people who will autograph only certain things. For example, you can typically only get Japanese guests to sign something they blatantly worked on - a doujinshi, even if it features a character they voice acted, is not something they worked on. Some are even so picky as they'll only sign this ONE CD, and if you already owned it, tough luck, because they'll only sign this ONE CD that you purchased right before the autograph session at this certain table.

English dub voice actors generally are willing to sign many things. I have an Asuka figure signed by Tiffany Grant. I highly doubt you'd get Yoko Miyamura to do that. So if Vic wants to restrict things a bit, it's within his right to.
Greggo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
I just find it hilarious that *this* is what convinces people not to purchase a particular Funimation DVD, but nobody bats an eye that the CEO of the company is the co-founder of EchoLight Studios, a faith-based film studio which also has Rick Santorum as a CEO, a politician who's actually on record saying some things people who signed the petition probably wouldn't like.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13