• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Chinese Girl Wins Award For Essay Comparing Gundam SEED to Sino-Japanese Relations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MechaManX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:
MechaManX wrote:
Jesus yamato: A nickname given because kira yamato survived an explosion from a self destructing Aegis Gundam, Supposedly dying, and then returned.

There's also getting caught in the Genesis shot, which is the equivalent of several nuclear warheads, and surviving despite the fact that Rau got wiped out by the same blast and the Freedom going up in a huge explosion after getting impaled by the Impulse in Destiny. And as for Kira's first brush with death, he survived the Aegis exploding at point blank range while the Strike's cockpit was compromised (exposed to the outside) and still manages to stumble out.

And yes having close brushes with death was nothing new to gundam when SEED came out but SEED really pushed it to absurd levels. By comparison, all the other "close calls" in other Gundam series seem non threatening (the exception being Heero Yui's self destruct scene though it was only one time.)

Now I actually like SEED (minus Destiny) so please don't take my criticism of Kira's survival rate as hating on SEED.

he wasn't hit by genesis. he was grazed by it. it clearly showed him moving out the way, and the fact the freedom wasn't completely obliterated afterwards too. Kira wasn't in the freedom's huge explosion in the first place during the SHinn fight. And The Strike gundam had a blast shield the protected him from the explosion, on top of the establishment that he was able to take extremely high temperatures from the atmospheric re-entry. And even regardless, if you can't take the stretch of somebody in gundam surviving an explosion, no matter how dire you make it sound over other examples, than you're prolly watching the wrong franchise. Because explosions, in action as a genre in general, is equally as non-threatening as its deadly. And when you start getting on the case of one example of plot armor, and passingly shrug off others, your bias and hypocritical sense has reached bounds that make you hopeless at that point.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I've got a question. If "Gundam SEED" is how this girl sees Sino-Japanese relations,what anime will she use to symbolize Chinese-U.S. relations?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3