• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Rayearth TV, Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas, Descendants of Darkness, IGPX, Lupin

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Most excited for Rayearth on Blu-ray, and IGPX, the latter of which I thought was doomed to fall in the abyss.

I'd be more excited for the Saint Seiya show if I knew that the others shows (including the original) were getting a steady DVD release.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
And even more people throw money at Discotek. They have got something going here, don't they. Cool

Mark Gosdin
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping that they could pick up Rune Soldier.

Oh well, I could settle for IGPX and Magic Knight Rayearth.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
And even more people throw money at Discotek. They have got something going here, don't they. Cool

Mark Gosdin

The thing about Discotek is that, to me, their licensing forte is to license various niche/obscure/less popular titles.
Macron One

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Magic Knight Rayearth on Blu-ray is a definite purchase, as it's one of my all-time favourite anime series. This will actually be the 6th time i've purchased a release of this series. I previously purchased the original Media Blasters DVD release, their later 15th anniversary remastered DVD sets and very recently purchased the japanese VHS and Laserdisc singles, as well as the LD boxsets for dirt-cheap from Yahoo Japan (because of the artwork and physical extras).

I hope that Discotek is able to use vintage artwork for their BD cover(s), as the new cover art used for the recent japanese BD-box is rather hideous.

Last edited by Macron One on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Most excited for Rayearth on Blu-ray

Same here. Already have the remastered DVDs from Media Blasters, but I'm always willing to go Blu for my favorite shows. Good thing I didn't pay too much for a used copy of the remastered season 2. I wonder if the masters used for the 15th anniversary edition were already HD (since they made new transfers from the original film), but they only released DVDs for some reason; ISTR that was the case for the Platinum edition Evangelion DVDs.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Very sweet announcements. The latest DVD releases of Rayearth by Media Blasters had very nice video quality in my opinion. I imagine that these upcoming BD's will look glorious.

Lost Canvas is a nice surprise, and I am a bit tempted to buy it. It is a shame that Discotek did not acquire the original Saint Seiya.

Thank you Discotek for releasing obscure and forgotten titles. Keep up the good work.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I could never pick up the 2nd DVD set for ramastered Rayearth so I'm glad that Discotek will put it out on BD.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I'll definately be buying Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas, I just wish they would add the Latin American dub track as well.

On their facebook Discotek just posted:
Quote:
Hopefully next week we will be able to announce the big title!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Discotek-Media/147168055312297?fref=photo
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It will also offer a Blu-ray Disc version in 2016.

It's about goddamn time they got more into BD, and something like Rayearth should be worth waiting for assuming the Japanese release isn't an upscale or terribly interlaced.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely be getting MKR TV on BD.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I am beyond ecstatic that they've continued to pick up the TV specials in order now, because this one is one of the very few Lupin specials that I've never seen at all. I'll be happy to finally scratch it off the list!

Though, looking at a list of the TV specials now...the next, fifth, one - Orders to Assassinate Lupin/Voyage to Danger - is the first of the ones that FUNimation had and released a few years back. I wonder if that will still be off limits, or if Discotek will be able to re-release it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OpadrianO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
I hope that Discotek is able to use vintage artwork for their BD cover(s), as the new cover art used for the recent japanese BD-box is rather hideous.

'hideous' thats's a compliment words can't covey what I feel for that arwork.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Damn shame they couldn't use something catchier for the Lupin retitling, but at least we're getting it. Now we can reminisce about the other Bush that the media used to make fun of.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
It will also offer a Blu-ray Disc version in 2016.

It's about goddamn time they got more into BD, and something like Rayearth should be worth waiting for assuming the Japanese release isn't an upscale or terribly interlaced.

I own the Japanese release, and it's not an upscale, nor it's interlaced. However, there's a yellow tint that's very apparent when you look at things that are supposed to be white like the Magic Knights' armor and Mokona. Whoever authors the set for Discotek might want to fix that.

Macron One wrote:

Agreed. The booklet that comes with the Japanese BD-box includes a cover illustration gallery that goes all the way back to the VHS releases, and it's startling how Atsuko Ishida's depiction of the characters keeps getting uglier as the years go by.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4