• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Awesome People of Color in Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon827449

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:

As for the wage gap, the idea that 'women just choose jobs that pay less' is because fields that women traditionally choose are less valued by society and thus pay less. It is because women flock to these fields that they pay less. Fields that used to be more male-centric, like teaching, pay less (by ratio) than they used to. We undervalue fields that women excel in and overvalue ones that men excel in. Even STEM fields that are more popular among women are generally viewed as less esteemed and pay less. And it is FAR MORE difficult for women to advance in fields traditionally considered 'men's work' than it is for men to.

Do you understand that equality of women doesn't mean that an equilibrium suddenly happens where women are actually significantly interested in substantial high paying jobs and get substantial high paying jobs to the point where it is just half and half with men/women? Do you understand that everyone in the general paradigm of society, ESPECIALLY where it counts, like universities, would not want to get in your way for doing whatever you want, but would get in the way of men wanting to do more traditional womens things, especially things that involve small children?
anon827449

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
anon827449 wrote:

You need to understand that Tumblr is not a good source of information. It has a lot of irrational, insecure, selfish fools who spread things about "straight white males" having privelidges, when they absolutely do not in Western society. Do not get indoctrinated about this ridiculous myth.

My opinions are not at all influenced by tumblr; which is a site that I only ever use for fannish things.

Perhaps you could, on the flip, not allow your opinions to be influenced by reddit/mensrights or stormfront of wherever you've been reading?

I don't go on Reddit ever, gender equality rights movements are stupid at this point if they have a notion of helping a specific gender because we are at a point where a few various things need to be straightened out without particular leaning on one side. Stormfront is very eccentric straw man content and I'm not all 14/88 just because of what I've expressed in opposition to you.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Class might be relevant, but upward mobility is substantially more difficult for women and POC (especially blacks). Racism makes it near impossible for them to reach upper class society.

I agree with everything you said to some extent except this. Do you have any statistics? Because my personal experiences disagree.

My dad was an illegal Filipino immigrant who crawled his way up to upper middle class within the span of my childhood. I know many rich Filipinos and Asians, to the point I occasionally joke about those rich Chinese kids with BMWs. As for blacks, well, the president and a good number of government officials are black, so they or their ancestors got significant amounts of money somehow.

Race-wise, it's not as hard as you think, and you're exaggerating the issue severely. Gender-wise, well, there's the education gap, so that may come in due time even if it's not now: http://content.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,2015274,00.html
anon827449

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
kazenoyume wrote:
Class might be relevant, but upward mobility is substantially more difficult for women and POC (especially blacks). Racism makes it near impossible for them to reach upper class society.

I agree with everything you said to some extent except this. Do you have any statistics? Because my personal experiences disagree.

My dad was an illegal Filipino immigrant who crawled his way up to upper middle class within the span of my childhood. I know many rich Filipinos and Asians, to the point I occasionally joke about those rich Chinese kids with BMWs. As for blacks, well, the president and a good number of government officials are black, so they or their ancestors got significant amounts of money somehow.

Race-wise, it's not as hard as you think, and you're exaggerating the issue severely. Gender-wise, well, there's the education gap, so that may come in due time even if it's not now: http://content.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,2015274,00.html

Yay, education gaps time!
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2009/jul/29/early-learning-gender-gap
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
E_X wrote:
So... who decided this PoC thing? I'm a latin guy and I really dislike that term. It lumps all ethnicities (aside from white) into one group so white people can be comfortable saying it without (hilariously) worrying about sounding racist. No? Am I reading too much into it?

Anyways, Caska made it in so it's all good.

Seriously though, PoC... ugh...

I do agree that the term is out-dated and seems to irrationally dump all non-white people into one group.

This was posted a few posts ago, and seems to detail the origin of where it comes from http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/20/magazine/on-language-people-of-color.html
It's curious though that I actually haven't heard the term myself until recently. Maybe that's just me though.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
Ah, I feel obligated to mention that it was a good list. I feel a little pity that the author's efforts to be as politically correct as possible caused a little chaos in the comments. Just a little though.
anon827449

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Ah, I feel obligated to mention that it was a good list. I feel a little pity that the author's efforts to be as politically correct as possible caused a little chaos in the comments. Just a little though.

Well the opposition felt was not because of the list, it was because of certain people talking about TV being in vital need of more social engineering for some reason when it's already got loads and also people insinuating that somehow any race and culture can go to any nation, and no matter how huge of an impact it has somehow doesn't matter, and they could just reshape the nation and it wouldnt matter. Those were the main provokements.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
To swing it back around, does Japan need diversity in its programming? They don't have much diversity in their nation, what with 98% of the population being the same ethnicity. Maybe it's even more genuine because it's not like corporate is telling Rei Hiroe he needs to include a black guy to get that urban demographic, they do because they want to naturally on their own, like writing a story about blonde British transfers in KinMoza. But then again, it's as simple to draw a white or black character and have them speak Japanese as it would to draw a Japanese character, quite another to have them acting for live action television on a regular basis. I think they add characters like that just for flavor and for being exotic over any kind of goal of racial harmony or appeasing execs.
ペンネーム

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
Claudia? Really? Number One? She fails the Bechdel Test so hard it isn't even funny.

Terrible inclusion.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
I was sort of hoping to see Pedro from Excel Saga on the list, or at least Ed from Cowboy Bebop.
ペンネーム

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
Chad from Bleach would have been a fantastic choice for inclusion. His character isn't a racist caricature like Avdol nor a one-dimensional woman like Claudia.

I would probably have replaced Avdol with a non-stereotypical Jew: Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop.

Seriously, this list was rather specific about "color".
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
ペンネーム wrote:
Chad from Bleach would have been a fantastic choice for inclusion. His character isn't a racist caricature like Avdol nor a one-dimensional woman like Claudia.

I would probably have replaced Avdol with a non-stereotypical Jew: Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop.

Wait, how is Abdul a caricature of Egyptian Stereotypes?
ペンネーム

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
ペンネーム wrote:

Wait, how is Abdul a caricature of Egyptian Stereotypes?

How isn't he? He's a fortune teller off the streets of Egypt. Probably the most common stereotypical role for someone from the middle east other than a "terrorist muslim".
ペンネーム

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
Because having one positive aspect to his character negates the fact that his backstory drips with racist baggage, right?
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
ペンネーム wrote:
Because having one positive aspect to his character negates the fact that his backstory drips with racist baggage, right?

Because having one stereotype negates every positive aspect of his character?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12