• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul's 2nd Season Slated to Premiere on January 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to this and hopefully improves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I wasn't expecting it to air this early. Between this. Kamisama Kiss and the new Durarara season, it's gonna be one of the best seasons in a long time for me.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Yessss, thank you. I'll prepare my heart for this.
SalemWitch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ishida is now also credited with the original story concept for the second season.

I don't like the sound of that. Does that mean season 2 will follow a different story than the manga?
xFlintx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
SalemWitch wrote:
Quote:
Ishida is now also credited with the original story concept for the second season.

I don't like the sound of that. Does that mean season 2 will follow a different story than the manga?

yes, ishida was very mad how the studio butchered the 1 season, thats why he wrote the script for the 2 season
Carefree859

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so Hyped
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
i'm still waiting for the bluray version. I only watched it the first 3 eps, but it censored is too bad.
Ferax

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
xFlintx wrote:
SalemWitch wrote:
Quote:

yes, ishida was very mad how the studio butchered the 1 season, thats why he wrote the script for the 2 season

good to know

when i started the manga the anime was around ep 6-7 spoiler[when the crazy guy mao was killed]

so i was like "lets read the manga, so if the anime is around ep 7 the manga must be around 15......maybe...20......30?....40?"

they literally rushed 80 chaps in 12 eps

so for him the best option was to write a new story rather than wait for them to butcher the last 60 chaps
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Hope it will be better then the crappy first season
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:33 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga, but from what I read around the web I understood that Studio Pierro took some (hefty) liberties with the story, and the show took the same path as A-1 Pictures with Kuroshitsuji: with the 1st season veering off from the source material, and the 2nd season is an original story created by/with aid from the manga's author (with the viewers' varying opinions on the matter).

I hope it won't become another "Kuroshitsuji 2".
epicrevenge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:23 am Reply with quote
I actually really liked the first season and I read the manga (which is easily one of my favourite manga now) after it ended. When I was about 40 chapters in though, I spent an afternoon rewatching the first season with a friend who hadn't seen or read Tokyo Ghoul. I had been on the fence as to whether the 8/10 I gave it was too generous but after rewatching it I don't think it was.

I think If I had been following the manga before the first season aired I'd have be annoyed at the butchering so I now understand why some fans were so upset. There is a good chance I would have rated it down slightly due to lack of faithfulness to the source material, but I still think it ended up being a decent anime. However, when reading it I was concerned with how much they had cut out as a lot of important things hadn't been included in the anime.

It doesn't look like we'll have to be as concerned now though. With the mangaka in charge of the story it seems that while it may not be the same as the manga it will interesting to watch and will hopefully satisfy both manga and anime fans.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
I wonder what the reaction of anime only viewers will be if season 2 has the same ending as the end of Vol.14. A third season is nearly imposible and TG RE is Vol. 15 and NOT a relauch btw. So this one will go down in tears one way or the other.
Ishida shouldn´t have trusted Pierrot with anything but at least the series had a jump in sales and the opening is nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yause

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Ishida shouldn´t have trusted Pierrot with anything but at least the series had a jump in sales and the opening is nice.

That kind of rushing is unlikely to be a studio decision. Anime companies want to keep these things going as long as possible.

It's far more characteristic of a publisher decision, for which the goal is to have the anime catch up ASAP to close in on what they want to sell. Hardcore fans can watch the anime and collect all the manga starting from the beginning. Less ardent fans can watch the anime and are more likely to start collecting manga from the stopping point since the entry cost is greatly reduced.

I'm not sure if there's any truth to speculation that the mangaka is angry at Pierrot, but either way, it's better to create a new story that brings viewers to the desired stopping point.

Quote:
I wonder what the reaction of anime only viewers will be if season 2 has the same ending as the end of Vol.14. A third season is nearly imposible and TG RE is Vol. 15 and NOT a relauch btw.

Not a bad idea for the publisher. Those who have even less money to spend can just watch the two seasons and start fresh with TG RE.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1