• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bettina_jm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Kelly wrote:
If you like Momiji in the anime, you'll absolutely adore him in the manga. I always liked him, and without giving anything away, I really fell in love with him after volume 11. He's my favorite.

He's been going through a rough time lately, and his problems aren't over, as we sadly found out in volume 13...

Yeah, he's one of those characters who you see in a new outfit every time. In volume 19 you find out that spoiler[he plays the violin.]

I love momiji too. He is my favorite in fruitsbasket. Maybe I should read the manga too.

Bettina
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote
Bettina_jm wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
Kelly wrote:
If you like Momiji in the anime, you'll absolutely adore him in the manga. I always liked him, and without giving anything away, I really fell in love with him after volume 11. He's my favorite.

He's been going through a rough time lately, and his problems aren't over, as we sadly found out in volume 13...

Yeah, he's one of those characters who you see in a new outfit every time. In volume 19 you find out that spoiler[he plays the violin.]

I love momiji too. He is my favorite in fruitsbasket. Maybe I should read the manga too.

Bettina

You should, because Momiji also speaks some lines in german in the manga, bringing up the cuteness factor to even greater heights!
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
You should, because Momiji also speaks some lines in german in the manga, bringing up the cuteness factor to even greater heights!

Yes - Aside from his hair indicating that he has a bit of northern European in him, his oompah-inspired mini-theme is the only hint in the anime regarding his half-German background. I wonder if the whole matter was completely dropped in the anime because finding a voice actor who was right for the part and could also do a realistic German accent would have been too difficult.

In the manga, circumstancial evidence seems to hint that Japanese might not be his first language, and he starts off speaking quite a bit of German in the early volumes (especially when he's overexcited), but starts speaking it less as the series goes on, presumably because of the longer and longer length of time that he hasn't been exposed to it. He still confuses a few words sometimes, so in my mind, he probably started off with a somewhat heavy accent that has lessened over the course of the series, and will probably always have a trace of an accent.
Bettina_jm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:54 am Reply with quote
Aaah one more reason to love Momiji

he is German.

I'm going to read the Manga!

I was born in Germany but life somewhere else now

Bettina
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I just finished it last night, finally. Over all I thought it was good, carefully adapted from the manga, had good character development for the amount of episodes that they had, and had some good clean comedy in there. However, I cannot agree with the ending, pretty much like Berserk. I was moved by the last three episodes, where Kazuma removed Kyo's beads to test him and Tohru.

Here's where the contradiction I feel lies, why is it that Yuki, Shigure, AKito, Hanachan and Uochan get thrown into the picture? Where Tohru is lying at the edge of the forest and Akito has just happened to come out of nowhere (by way of car) to tell her that she will regret staying with the Sohma's, and asks her if she thought that the Sohma secret was a "fun" kind of thing. Then Shigure comes up to apoligize to Tohru, and that this was for her own good.

Now that I think of it, I do see a tie-in, if not weak, tie-in to the manga on that part. The beads were removed by Kazuma in the manga to test Kyo and Tohru and in a way open up both their hearts and minds in the issue. Next, why bring Yuki into the picture? The thing is why would he even give a damn about Kyo? Then now I see that he was helping Tohru to do the thing that she needed to do. But that's really it. He was meant to shadowed in this part of the story, and he was given a little more screen time than he possibly deserved.

On top of all this, who should come into the picture but Uotani and Hanajima? Give me a break Rolling Eyes How did she even get out of the frickin forest in the first place? I didn't know that the Sohma area stretched all the way to Kyoko's grave. That part I think, was unnecessary to the plot, and just meant to throw them in there to give them their final screen time, which didn't really work out in the first place.

Last, we come to the fact that AKito will die soon because he holds the weight of the Juunishi within his body. Just going to meet him and then when he get ready to attack her with Yuki and SHigure having to hold him off, then having Tohru tell him what she told Kyo, which was tell her his pains and thoughts, that to me was just cheap and a ripoff. I just felt they could have done something better with it. Although the part with them all going home happy together was probably one of the best ways to end it. My thoughts on it are some things were just unnecessary, to be honest.

My final wording on this anime is that I've seen a lot of people on this site ask about a second season for this great series. This is my answer for those people. I wouldn't count on a second season, for the following reasons: As has been said before, the anime is a promotion for the manga. Two, spoiler[in the anime, AKito is a guy, in the manga, Akito is a girl, ]that right there just kills it. Three, if Akito were to die soon, that means they would have to bring in a new "god" for the zodiac, which I'm sure would anger FB fans and things like that, it would just be a big mess.

In the end though, it's a good series, and if you have a chance, you should watch this series. Great comedy and drama, and overall fun.

This will get a Very Good rating once I get around to it.

[EDIT: Messed with your paragraphs and fixed your topic name to include the word "tags." -TK]

Last edited by fighterholic on Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
For God's sake, please divide that blob of text into paragraphs. Giant masses of text like that are painful to read.
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Fighterholic, you might want to put spoiler tags on the anime/manga discrepancies regarding Akito. Although that little tidbit has been pasted all over the place and has been pretty much unavoidable, English readers who are not reading illegal scanilations with translations do not technically have that information yet - we're only up to volume 14.

Regarding Akito, I don't believe the anime team knew that information yet. They also had to patch together an artificial resolution to Tohru's problems with him. Unfortunately, this means they also painted themselves into a corner as far as continuing the series. Akito would be the elephant in the room as far as trying to get an anime continuation on track with the manga.

Shigure, too, would be a problem. All traces of his dark side were erased in the anime, probably because the anime was not going to continue to the point in the story where it really started to be addressed. Can you imagine the reaction of anime fans unfamiliar with the manga if it continued now and spoiler[Shigure started using Tohru out of the blue to break the curse with no regard for what it was doing to her?] As it is, I think Shigure's reaction to the incident was proper for the character. Anime-Shigure would not have just sat in the house at that point; it would have been totally out of character . I agree with you about Uo and Hana though. A blatant attempt to work them into the series one last time.

And then, Yuki's reaction. spoiler[That was another necessity bourne of the series not continuing. They couldn't have ended the series without Yuki and Kyo coming to some kind of understanding. After all, Haru predicted to Kagura offscreen early in the manga and anime that their common affection for Tohru would help them come to terms. Although I wouldn't argue that having it happen during the moment that defined Tohru and Kyo's relationship may not have been the right time, I don't think the story could have ended without them at least genuinely tolerating eachother - and I think things will go that way in the manga as well. ]

The ending had some unavoidable problems due to the fact that it essentially cut off mid-story, but as I've said in other threads, I think they did as good as possible under the circumstances (knowing that there would be no continuation and basically flying blind because the manga had not ended), all but the very last episode was extremely, extremely faithful to the manga in all but the Akito and Shigure issues, and I gave the series as a whole an excellent rating.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Fighterholic, you might want to put spoiler tags on the anime/manga discrepancies regarding Akito. Although that little tidbit has been pasted all over the place and has been pretty much unavoidable, English readers who are not reading illegal scanilations with translations do not technically have that information yet - we're only up to volume 14.

Why do you think I put "no spoilers" in my thread title?
The paragraphs shall be fixed.
For your sake, I'll cover up the anime/manga differences.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Since this is about the anime, anime material shouldn't have to be tagged but manga material that is different from the anime should be as some people may be interested in the manga but haven't gotten that far. Especially the Akito thing, since the U.S. manga release hasn't gotten that far yet.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Opinions on the last episode may differ heavily depending on whether or not one's been reading the manga, though. I never have gotten around to reading the manga, but am a big enough fan of the anime version that I'd currently rate it as one of my favorite series despite my dislike for its artistry. Based only on the content in the anime, I thought the last episode was quite fitting, well-handled, and appropriate. Even though Yuki and Kyo are always at odds, I always got the impression, at least from Yuki's side, that it was more rivalry and annoyance than outright hate; remember, Kyo has qualities that Yuki does admire, according to the early episodes. Given that, his conversation with Kagura was enough justification for me for why he ultimately went after Kyo. Likewise, it also would have been out of character for the anime version of Shigure not to go after Tohru and do what he did.

As for Akito showing up when and where he did, sure, that was a plot convenience, but it fit beautifully given what we've seen of his character. (And besides, I reasoned that he would quite reasonably be hanging around in the area that night just to see what might happen, since he knew about it beforehand.) The same for Tohru's friends, who were necessary to give her that final push at such a low point. And where else would Tohru wander to in her state but her mother's grave? Granted, I would also like to see a map of where all the sites in the anime are, but it would hardly be the first time that characters traversed improbable distances for sake of plot convenience.

And after everything that happened, the final encounter with Akito was absolutely necessary for wrapping up the story, even with as open an ending as it left.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Opinions on the last episode may differ heavily depending on whether or not one's been reading the manga, though. I never have gotten around to reading the manga, but am a big enough fan of the anime version that I'd currently rate it as one of my favorite series despite my dislike for its artistry.

I understand where you're coming from if you're not a reader of manga like myself. However when you read the manga first and then have the imagery of "this is how the anime should turn out", and it doesn't work that way, of course you might get disappointed or mad. Like I said though, in the end it was a good series, and the ending is justifiable for the anime. Like I said though, the anime ending kills the possibility of a second season.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Okay iI've seen fruits baskets and read some of the manga a bit. It just doesn't appeal to me at all. Am I missing something? Everyone always says "its so dramatic and funny and cool. Get in to it Viga..." I say "ummmm I dont like it much." "what really!"

For christmas 2 years in a row I've gotten fruits baskets stuff. 2 hats and a t shirt. I was presumed to like this sorta thing.

So I ask maybe something didn't appeal to me my first time around. What makes this particular anime good, popular and worth watching?
Gage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm not all that knowledgeable in this area but I may have a small answer for you...

In some cases, you really are not missing anything. All depends on your "taste" of anime or manga, make sense? To be blunt, the series may not be the type you are into...

Happens alot. So don't think there is something missing.

^That's my take on this issue.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I quote the title: "Fruits Baskets....WTF am i missing?"
The anime just doesn't live up to the manga in general. The characters aren't developed enough, there are some cheesy aspects and the fillers make me take the manga over the anime. As I and several other posters have both stated, the manga is the way to go to truly understand what is going on with this series. The only thing about the manga in the US is they only have the 15th volume coming out this month, while the series is getting ready to end November 20th in Japan.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The manga is MUCH better than the anime, IMO. Give it a chance until you are a couple of volumes past where the anime stops.

If you still don't like it, then don't go on...why suffer though something you don't like. See if you can get the necessary volumes through a friend or your local library before you actually invest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8