• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:34 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Kelly wrote:
I think it's just a particularly fustrating time for English translation manga readers because there have been some interesting developments and closure lately.
And of course this is all after volume 14, the latest volume to be officially released by Tokyopop. Nice one. Rolling Eyes
So? I'm sure that there are many Fruits Basket fans out there that download the latest scans, but also faithfully buy the TokyoPop volumes as they come out... every 4 months. Where's the lost profits and damage to the industry in that?
aya_honda wrote:
I am one of the people that can be called a Fruits Basketholic (me and fighterholic invented it Laughing )
I prefer the term "Fruits Basket Case" myself Anime hyper
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:34 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Kelly wrote:
I think it's just a particularly fustrating time for English translation manga readers because there have been some interesting developments and closure lately.
And of course this is all after volume 14, the latest volume to be officially released by Tokyopop. Nice one. Rolling Eyes
So? I'm sure that there are many Fruits Basket fans out there that download the latest scans, but also faithfully buy the TokyoPop volumes as they come out... every 4 months.

Okay - to set everything straight, I was referring to what happened in volumes 11-13. I have never downloaded scans, and have no intention to. I also thought I was staying vague, and as far as I know didn't give anything at all away. I certainly never intended to cause a scene.
wanda_tail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm not good in this but that anime is my favourite.I haven't read any manga.But the anime is good.You not missing anything,maybe the anime just doesn't fit you.I really enjoy watching it.There is happy time,sad.It is heartwarming,I like want too cry when i watch Momiji's past life.And i'm also like keough,haru and shigure.This anime is on my top10 favourite anime.My friend and i always want to watch its episode over and over Very Happy (sorry for my english)
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
I am one of the people that can be called a Fruits Basketholic (me and fighterholic invented it Laughing)

can i join? Laughing

seriously though, i loved them both, and for those who comment on the fact that the manga goes farter, yes it does, but can you honestly think of a better way to end the anime then the story they chose. that story is perhaps the single reason that i like (spoiler for safety reasons) spoiler[Kyo] the best. give it time and it will grow on you. then read the manga to find out the rest of the story.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
So, is this the rip on the FB anime thread? Laughing Just kidding.

I personally love this series. Perhaps I'd personally go out a limb and say it's my favorite anime. I enjoy the manga as well, but there are some things about the anime I like better, and vice versa. It's a slice and life drama at heart, people often mistake it as a fantasy, because of certain elements (the zodiac members turn into animals when they're hugged by the opposite sex! Zomigod!). The series to me, was sucessful as it really got me emotionally invested in the characters and story. I cared about the characters and how the story was going to play out. I was happy when the characters overcame their personal trysts and was sad when we got to learn about their often heartbreaking pasts. Others things I liked about the anime was the music, which was done by the late-but-great Ritsuko Okazaki. Her music just gave the anime this really serene atmosphere, and I love listening to the FB- Song for Ritsuko Okazaki sountrack. Also, while the sub was good, IMO the dub was superb. Really wonderful performances.

I could go on, but I think you get the jist of it. I really loved the Furuba anime and I also stand by Key's opinion that it shouldn't be punished just because it's not the manga. (Also, the "oh, the manga is SO much better" elitism annoys me to no end, but I'm not calling any of you elitists and you're absolutely entitled to prefer the manga to the anime)

You might not find charm in the series (anime or manga) at all and that's fine. It's not going to appeal to everyone. Y'know what, pop in Genshiken one more time and watch that again ( Laughing ). The most important thing about watching a series is to know that you're enjoying it. Just because your friends love FB doesn't mean you have to.
Skys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:34 am Reply with quote
I personally didn't like Fruits Basket that much. I saw the all the anime episodes, and while it was alright I just never felt that captivated by it. I don't see it as a sub-par anime, just an anime that is nothing special. Of coarse, this is all my opinion. I can easily see how it can be very successful and have its own niche in the anime world.

demonroach wrote:
If you don't enjoy fruits basket, then you either are too afraid to show any emotions or you just don't have any. Go back to naruto or pokemon.

Argumentum ad hominems are really not the best method for conveying a point. I can come to tell you like the anime , but I cannot tell why. Much information and credibility is lost in doing so. I would also have to agree with Aromatic Grass on this one, everyone is entitled to their own individuality. Just because someone does not like a certain show, that does not mean they lack emotions or anything of the sort.
bluecrescent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:26 am Reply with quote
Your actually not missing anything. If that is how you perceive the series then there's nothing wrong with that. Afterall, the quality of an anime is based on how the viewers perceive it. Each one of us has different tastes and preferences so you should not let other people's preferences influence yours. Although personally, I like Fruits Basket because the plot was humorous and exciting and because the characters are endearing. In fact I'd rate this anime as very good...but then again, this is my own personal opinion.
Alestal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
You'd only really want to watch Fruits Basket if your were extremely depressed. Because it is one of the most uplifting shows out there, because basicly this girl is a huge loser and yet she's so grateful and kind, even when her life sucks.
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I think "loser" is a really bad word to describe someone who, despite taking more and harder knocks from life than most of us out there, keeps trying and comes up smiling day after day spoiler[and manages to heal an entire family into the bargain]. To me, "loser" is someone who fails at life due to their own laziness/misplaced priorities, and then complains about it all the time.

I'm another that came to the manga from the anime, which I loved and am currently re-watching (though it currently has to compete for train-video-time with Strawberry Panic and with the manga). I'm on volume 12 of the manga and really enjoying it--there is definitely more depth to the characters and story.

It is a very uplifting story, but you don't have to be depressed to like it and get joy from it. Smile It's completely focused on the development of the characters and the relationships between them, so if that's not your cup of tea, no harm done.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
For me Fruits Basket is decent anime inferior to manga, mainly because my favourite characters are Akito and Shigure and their relationship is more developed in the manga.

I see that many people like me may have problems with the main character Tohru who is artificial, unconvincing IMO. I suggest that if you are interested in any other character then you may give it a try but if you don't find anyone interesting after watching some episodes then give up.
wanda_tail

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Actually i agree with you Aylinn.I'm not so interested the main character since my favourite character is kyo,shigure,ayame and hatsuharu.Can i ask you how to spell kyo.Is it Kyo or Keough? Confused
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
wanda_tail wrote:
Actually i agree with you Aylinn.I'm not so interested the main character since my favourite character is kyo,shigure,ayame and hatsuharu.Can i ask you how to spell kyo.Is it Kyo or Keough? Confused

It's Kyo.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:02 am Reply with quote
wanda_tail wrote:

And it reflected with the fans in Japan too. In the three polls conducted during the series' run, all three times Kyo was voted as the fan favorite.
wanda_tail

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
Thanks LydiaDianne.Is your favourite character is Kyo to Fighterholic?I really love Kyo Very Happy .
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
Is this series really good? I'm planning to buy this as a gift for myself for christmas.

I think viga_of_stars didn't find this appealing because maybe his/her is not into shoujo anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8