• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote

Fruits Basket (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, romance, supernatural
Themes: bishounen, Chinese zodiac, family, kindness, male harem, school

Plot Summary: Tohru Honda is 16 year old orphaned girl who gets invited to live in the house of her classmate, the handsome boy Sohma Yuki, and his cousins, 16 year old Kyo and 27 year old Shigure. However, these young men and parts of the rest of their family (both close and distant) hold a curse; if they are hugged by the opposite gender, they transform into animals of the Chinese Zodiac. Everyday is an adventure for sweet Tohru, as she gets to know everyone in the large family better (especially Yuki and Kyo), in both common and bizarre situations. But, the Sohma Family curse is certainly no laughing matter... it also holds horrible cruelity and heartbreak.
----------------------------------

To be honest, it was annoying. I really loved the series up to episode 24. But the last 2 episodes really weren't up to much.

spoiler[The twist with Kyo and his 'true form' was almost totally random - it hadn't been any sort of issue up to then and hadn't even been hinted at. It just happened all of a sudden. Kyo had been driven throughout by the fact that he was the '13th member of the zodiac' who had been cheated, not because he was actually some big weird monster thing.

Also, the last two episodes just highlighted the theme of Tohru saving everyone by delivering the 'oh so deep' message of 'all you need is love.' She solves everyones problem by saying something like 'I love you just the way you are,' and while it had been quite sweet up until the end, the last episodes with Kyo and Akito were just a bit too much.

Also Akito was explained as a character incredibly briefly and unconvincingly in the last episode. He (or she as it turns out,) is angry because of some twist in the curse that only he is bearing which means he will die young. ]

The series up to this point had been built around engaging and strong characters, which was (in my mind) totally skewed by the ending.

Well, as I understand it, the manga has a slightly better ending and have now bought the first couple of the manga to give it a crack. (Although I kinda liked the series when it was just cheerful and sweet and not so full of random bullsh*t.) So hopefully I will be satisfied by that...
bluepita

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I rather enjoyed the ending myself, especially after rewatching the series. Knowing how it ended, I found enough references to spoiler[Kyo's true form to satisfy me on that point. In my opinion, since so much of the anime centered on Tohru's acceptance of the Sohmas as they were and so much of the conflict centered on Kyo being accepted/loved by his family, I thought it was fitting for him to find out this was possible, not only by being accepted by Tohru but seemingly by Yuki also.]

I have not read much of the manga yet and look forward to it very much. Reading that could possibly influence my opinion on the subject.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I can think of shows that had worse endings. To me the ending just fit little Tohru Honda's personality so well. It left off at a real cliff-hanger end, like stopping at episode 7. But I guess I got enough depth and picture of the characters, that I am collecting the manga series now.

Edit, added: But would I purchase the anime now? Especially knowing that the manga differs so greatly? Well, it isn't on my to do list yet.

Last edited by jaybug39 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with Jaybug; there are shows out there with worse endings. The problem with Fruits Basket is that the anime was surpassing the manga so some of what is in the anime doesn't really match up to what we now know about the manga. Oh, well, nobody's perfect. I just enjoy the anime for what it is and I enjoy the manga for what it is.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote
I'd say it was adequately hinted at in episode 4 when Kagura says, spoiler["I like everything! The good things, the bad things, I'll accept them all! Even if Kyo-kun were to become his true form, you watch, I'll accept--!" And Kyo responds, "You just try to speak another pointless word! I'll show you no mercy!"] As far as the anime/manga connection go, it should be noted that some events in volumes 7 and 8 got moved forward in time to fill in some of the later episodes of the anime, mainly spoiler[the PuriYuki Fanclub and Ritsu Sohma], IIRC, while the actual anime ending takes place in volume 6. Moving those events for the climactic finale seemed like the best they could do with the episode count that they had. Also, the manga doesn't actually have a better ending, because it's not over yet--it's at volume 20 in Japan, and the US releases are (almost) at 14.
I saw the ending as spoiler[a metaphor for those things inside us that we don't want others to see. Kyo being a monster is just the expression of this idea, the vehicle to let it play out in the series. And I don't know that it's "love" that Tohru expresses; it's the idea of acceptance, and wanting to stay together in the spirit of friendship. Maybe it just spoke to the psychological "gaps" that I have in myself. The scene where Tohru breaks down and is helped by Hana and Uo was very moving and very much in line with the overall themes of the series. It's also quite shocking to see the anime go into such a dark mood for about an episode and a half when most of it was so bright and cheery, and I respect anime gutsy enough to do that. Even the almost-random shift didn't bother me--with most anime, you have a pretty good idea of how they're going to end (villains defeated, world ends, couple gets together, couple breaks up, school ends, etc.), and as I hadn't read the manga before seeing it, Kazuma's actions in episode 24 truly were a surprise.] For me, episode 25 and the first half of 26 were just such an overwhelming experience across the whole emotional spectrum that the ending helped place Fruits Basket among my favorite anime. Of course, like I always say, these kinds of experiences are subjective.
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:40 am Reply with quote
Also, keep in mind that when the anime was made, major issues like the Tohru/Yuki/Kyo triangle and the Yuki/Kyo conflict were nowhere near resolved in the manga, so the anime creators had to make due with what they had available at the time and make a reasonable ending. As I mentioned in another thread when this came up, it's unfortunate that the anime didn't continue, but since it didn't, I think they did as good a job as possible when you take into account what they had to work with.
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:27 am Reply with quote
I tend to only half-agree. With regard to Kyo, I felt it was a good example of spoiler[ Tohru's always-loving nature being tested. She didn't just immediately accept, and if she had, I would have completely detested the series. Instead, it takes that great scene with Uo and Hanajima to get her to continue, if I'm remembering correctly. It helped get rid of her irritating 'perfection' that made her very hard for me to really relate to. Moreover, there were very subtle hints dropped throughout the anime that there was something more to being the Cat, so the turn of events, while fairly unexpected, at least had a little more basis in my opinion.]

But on the other hand, I completely agree with you about the ending itself. It didn't even really make much sense to me, cramming all of it into spoiler[ the last half of the last episode. I'm not sure I even understood what occurred between her and Akito because it went so quickly and so bizarrely. I think it would have just been better if they'd left that reconcilliation--or whatever it was--out, and just found a way to better imply that even with this additional knowledge of Kyo's condition, Tohru would continue to live with the Sohma's, in her happy little family.] But that's just my opinion.

I've recently started the manga, reading through the first 5 volumes thus far in order to see what happens there and to get a fuller story. Even in places where the story is exactly the same, I sort of prefer the manga. Some things just seem to work better in print form than animation to me. (I feel the same way about the manga of NANA versus the good, but not as good anime series.)
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
[quote="Mylene"] spoiler[ She didn't just immediately accept, and if she had, I would have completely detested the series. Instead, it takes that great scene with Uo and Hanajima to get her to continue, if I'm remembering correctly. It helped get rid of her irritating 'perfection' that made her very hard for me to really relate to. Moreover, there were very subtle hints dropped throughout the anime that there was something more to being the Cat, so the turn of events, while fairly unexpected, at least had a little more basis in my opinion.]

spoiler[Well, that was sort of the point. Not even the whole family are aware of the curse, only the thirteen and those closest to them. For a non-relative to learn of them and accept them was extrordinary and changed their lives to greater or lesser extents.]

Quote:
But on the other hand, I completely agree with you about the ending itself. It didn't even really make much sense to me, cramming all of it into spoiler[the last half of the last episode. I'm not sure I even understood what occurred between her and Akito because it went so quickly and so bizarrely. I think it would have just been better if they'd left that reconcilliation--or whatever it was--out, and just found a way to better imply that even with this additional knowledge of Kyo's condition, Tohru would continue to live with the Sohma's, in her happy little family.]] But that's just my opinion.

spoiler[Agreed - the problem is that they had to deal with Akito and couldn't end the series with the question of whether he would make Hatori erase Tohru's memories hanging over everyone's heads. Very, very little had been revealed about Akito in the manga at that point, and they didn't have alot to work with. They were pretty much flying blind.]
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:

spoiler[Agreed - the problem is that they had to deal with Akito and couldn't end the series with the question of whether he would make Hatori erase Tohru's memories hanging over everyone's heads. Very, very little had been revealed about Akito in the manga at that point, and they didn't have alot to work with. They were pretty much flying blind.]

I don't see where that needed to become an issue, really. spoiler[After all, she already knew the rest of the family secrets, why would one more (albeit it a more disturbing one) make it necessary to re-evaluate the decision to leave her memories in tact? Any ending to the anime would have been a bit of a letdown after, since it wouldn't have much source material to work with, but I just personally felt that focusing on them getting back to life regardless of the new information would have been a better choice than tacking on the bit with Akito.]

It's just a matter of opinion of course, but that last episode really kept the show from becoming a favorite for me. Messy endings happen, but for some reason this one bothered me more than most. On the other hand, I have high hopes and expectations for the manga.
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:47 am Reply with quote
I love the manga so far (following the English edition). No matter who your favorite character in the anime is, there's more of them and you get to know them even better. I also love how most volumes give hints that, in hindsight, point to what's going to happen in the next volume. For instance, we found out something in volume 12 that had me slapping my forehead and saying, Of course! They've been hinting about that for volumes! And all the relationships in the anime just get deeper.

I am steeling myself, though, because from what I've read not everyone is happy with the direction the manga takes in later volumes. I'll see what I think when I get to that point.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
I found the anime ending entirely appropriate and fitting for what what they had shown in the series. spoiler[Given Akito's confrontation with the out-of-it Tohru in the woods in episode 25, there's no way the series could wrap up without going back and dealing with Akito again.] Yeah, the ending does leave a viewer wanting more, but I'm not so sure this series would have felt right with anything but an open ending.

And I agree with both Mylene and Zalis116 about what happens with Kyo in the last couple of episodes, as I think their views are compatible. spoiler[It is more about acceptance than love, as well as that acceptance being put to its strongest test yet. I also agree that Tohru's initial difficulty dealing with Kyo's true form made that part better, and Arisa's tearful insistance that they couldn't help Tohru beyond encouraging her to continue on was heartbreaking, especially given what both said earlier in the series about being torn up over not being able to help Tohru over her living situation.]

And as others have mentioned, there were adequate hints about Kyo earlier in the series, although admittedly I didn't catch the one in episode 4 the first time around.

While there are better overall series out there (FB's anime flops on technical merits and I never cared for the character designs), the FB anime is still one of my favorites. And eventually I will get around to the manga. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeh, I was perhaps a bit harsh in my first post. I really loved the rest of the series and the ending wasn't quite as 'out of place and random' as I made it out to be. Something about the last episode in particular just didn't seem right though and soured the whole thing a bit.

I hadn't noticed the big clue in episode 4, I'm sure I will get round to watching it again at some point, (no other series has made me smile as consistently throughout as FB.)

I just liked the simplicity of the earlier episodes, and other parts tugged on my heart strings a lot more than the part with Kyo at the end - especially parts about Momiji, who I hated at first and then grew to be (possibly) my favourite character. I really loved the episode at the hot springs. Very Happy

Anyway, I know its not the worst anime ending ever and theres a vast number who cram too much into the last episode or two, but the ending of FB bothered me more for some reason. Bring on the manga... (Once I find a job to finance this expensive hobby...)
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:15 pm Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:
Yeh, I was perhaps a bit harsh in my first post. I really loved the rest of the series and the ending wasn't quite as 'out of place and random' as I made it out to be. Something about the last episode in particular just didn't seem right though and soured the whole thing a bit.

Don't worry. I had the exact same reaction after just finishing the series. Over time, I've come to accept the ending a bit better, and so now I appreciate it a bit more than before. Once you cool down your disappointment, it won't sour the show quite as much. Or at least that's been the case for me.
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:
I just liked the simplicity of the earlier episodes, and other parts tugged on my heart strings a lot more than the part with Kyo at the end - especially parts about Momiji, who I hated at first and then grew to be (possibly) my favourite character. I really loved the episode at the hot springs. Very Happy

If you like Momiji in the anime, you'll absolutely adore him in the manga. I always liked him, and without giving anything away, I really fell in love with him after volume 11. He's my favorite.

He's been going through a rough time lately, and his problems aren't over, as we sadly found out in volume 13...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
If you like Momiji in the anime, you'll absolutely adore him in the manga. I always liked him, and without giving anything away, I really fell in love with him after volume 11. He's my favorite.

He's been going through a rough time lately, and his problems aren't over, as we sadly found out in volume 13...

Yeah, he's one of those characters who you see in a new outfit every time. In volume 19 you find out that spoiler[he plays the violin.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8