• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrissTale

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
I also agree with Aylinn and Fighterholic .I'm just really like to see this series because i like to see Kyo Laughing.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:20 am Reply with quote
I watched the first two packed DVDs of this series and also wonder if there is something that occurs later in the story which make people rave about the series. Something about some shoujo characterizations just do not click with me, but I can't really place my finger on it. The closest thing I can say is that the wide variety of male characters that all revolve around the main character all seem a bit too extreme in their personalities, and remind me of the cast from Fushigi Yugi which bothered me in a similar way. They just feel a bit too comical compared to the three dimensional characters in something like Kare Kano or Twelve Kingdoms. This is in no way exclusive to anime aimed towards girls since I have a similar issue with the much beloved Kenshin television and Getbackers with all of those Limitless Fortress guys. I really wish I could put my finger on what specifically doesn't click with me, but instead I'm left with a overall impression. Maybe it's as simple as I can't find a character to relate with in these shows.

I'm in general not a big Hana to Yume fan with the big exception of the amazing Please Save My Earth manga so I shouldn't be surprised at my less than stellar impression of this series.

I do however intend on watching the other two DVDs and find the series entertaining. I just wouldn't place it very high on my list, and can understand how the original poster here feels.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:29 am Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
basicly this girl is a huge loser and yet she's so grateful and kind, even when her life sucks.

What makes Tohru a loser? Being with the Sohma family, I think she has many things to be grateful about.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
bluecrescent wrote:
Your actually not missing anything. If that is how you perceive the series then there's nothing wrong with that. Afterall, the quality of an anime is based on how the viewers perceive it. Each one of us has different tastes and preferences so you should not let other people's preferences influence yours.

I think the thread OP was just putting some humor in the title so posts like this seem rather pointless (nothing personal bluecrescent)

I can see how Fruits Basket could rub someone the wrong way, especially Tohru. I found her to be a pretty good balance for an over-the-top "I love everyone" character, especially at the end when she seems to be spoiler[repulsed by Kyo, yet still accepts him. she actually seemed human.] And since it really is a character over plot story, if you can't connect with the characters it can get real old real fast. Especially if you are expecting believable characters. Shigure was pretty real, but Kyo embodied this angsty vengeance-seeking teenager, Yuki this totally isolated "I can never smile or be myself around others" teenage character, and Tohru...well, let's just say the chances of meeting someone that innocent and sweet at age what? fifteen? are slim to none.

Though pretty extreme, the characters were consistent enough and the dialogue realistic for their respective personalities, so I worked past the "wow, these people could never exist in real life" thing.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
And it reflected with the fans in Japan too. In the three polls conducted during the series' run, all three times Kyo was voted as the fan favorite.

actually, the first time it was Yuki. the next two were Kyo. Tohru was always the second most popular character.
GreatTeacherKen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
They just feel a bit too comical compared to the three dimensional characters in something like Kare Kano.

I find it a little odd that you say the characters are more comical then the ones in Kare Kano because I seem to remember Kare Kano uses a lot of comical exaggeration like the chase scene in episode 10, and Yukino's initial antagonism toward Arima and the frequent use of SD artwork. I don't remember Fruits Basket ever being quite that silly. Razz I'd agree that Kare Kano's characters are very three-dimensional and realistic, but I would defintely say due to the exaggeration that series uses that they're goofier than the ones in Fruits basket.

But I digress, I'm not sure if you'll like Fruits Basket more later on because in my opinion the earlier episodes are stronger than the later ones, some of which are filler-esque and a bit unnecessary. And the basic premise stays the same though the relationships between Yuki, Tohru, and Kyo evolve. However, the manga does delve into some darker material beyond where the anime ends.

BTW, I think I get the gist of what you're saying, I'm just not sure that's the best way to say it. Razz
riccardo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I must say, I really enjoyed the anime without intending to, and, as a consequence, I am about to start the manga.

I am admittedly much more a fan of action/adventure series like Slayers, Saiyuki, etc, but Fruits Basket had that mystical element in it and combined it with some of the laugh out loud funniest stuff I've ever seen, then it dumps this sad mess on you, it really went through all my emotions.

You can't expect to like every series you see, even if one is super popular (I never got into GiTS, Dragon Ball Z or X/1999, despite my best efforts).

Give yourself a break, I reckon.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
I've heard many positive things about Fruits Basket, but after watching the first episode I'm unsure if I want to continue it. Yuki's face and voice are very feminine for a main male character, and I cannot see how the animal transformations will help the series take on a serious tone- I find that comedy and mysticism get in the way of emotional power.
Considering there is quite a lot of romance anime I could be watching right now, does this series develop in a way that'll make me overlook these things?
Will I, as a male, have to "adapt" to liking Shojo series?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I've heard many positive things about Fruits Basket, but after watching the first episode I'm unsure if I want to continue it. Yuki's face and voice are very feminine for a main male character, and I cannot see how the animal transformations will help the series take on a serious tone- I find that comedy and mysticism get in the way of emotional power.
Considering there is quite a lot of romance anime I could be watching right now, does this series develop in a way that'll make me overlook these things?
Will I, as a male, have to "adapt" to liking Shojo series?
I have seen the anime and read all of the English released manga and I'll tell you the first episode is not enough to get into Fruba. That is like looking at one piece of a puzzle and saying " I don't think I'll like it." You got to go the distance, or forget it.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
@Zin5ki:

The first episode really doesn't give you a full idea of the series. Yes, Yuki is a bit outwardly effeminate - but part of his whole character is that it isn't intentional on his part and he isn't happy about it to put it mildly (wait until you meet the characters for which it is intentional Very Happy .

As for the serious tone of the curse, starting the series off lightly makes it even more of an emotional gut-punch when things do eventually get serious. It isn't, in fact, for quite a while until we find out exactly how badly the curse has screwed up many of the Zodiac members (and the anime only scratches the surface of what eventually happens in the manga). It's hard to say much without major spoilers, but I will say this - what do you think would be the realistic possibility, if this theoretically happened in the real world, of every single one of the Zodiac members' relatives being perfectly fine with the curse?

Also, I think you've been mislead if you've gotten the impression this is primarily a romance anime. Although there are some romance elements, on the whole I consider it more of a friendship/family dramedy if you really want to label it. The episode I'd consider the "turning point" is episode 8, and I really think anyone has to hang in there until that point to get the full impression of what the entire series will be like.

As for the guy thing - well, yeah, Fruits Basket is designed for a female audience. But just like some shounen series have a considerable female following, Fruits Basket does have a considerable male following (paging Fighterholic!). It's really up to you whether you want to continue giving it a chance.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Upon further reflecting I couldn't get into the three main protagonist and found many of the other characters more intriguing. The problem is that there are so many other characters who are only focused on for one episode. My favorite episode is the one that Hatoroi tells Toru about his tragic past. I also found Toru's friends funny and underused.
Chesis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:25 am Reply with quote
You know, it's perfectly all right not to like a popular show. I thought "Fruits Basket" was tolerable, and ended up watching the whole thing with friends. But really, the heroine was such a doormat, there were moments I just had to cringe.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
Chesis wrote:
But really, the heroine was such a doormat, there were moments I just had to cringe.

Well, the answer to that comes straight from the other Fruits Basket character who for reasons we find out around the middle of the anime could also be considered a "doormat" and who "gets" Tohru more than anyone else:

spoiler[Momiji's "Most Foolish Traveler" monologue, which incidentally turns out to refer as much to himself as it does to Tohru, is essentially a long response to that criticism of Tohru (and himself). They both honestly find their happiness in that of the people they love and aren't really happy themselves unless everything is going well for everyone else. So they make deliberate choices and don't consider themselves doormats at all. ]

And yes, you're right. Just like any other show, it's not for everyone - and that's okay.
Alestal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
Tohru may find happiness only when others are happy but...in the real world she'd be so taken advantage of that she'd walk around naked and sleep on a bench.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
wanda_tail wrote:
Thanks LydiaDianne.Is your favourite character is Kyo to Fighterholic?I really love Kyo .

No, actually my favorite character is Shigure Wink

suna_suna wrote:
actually, the first time it was Yuki. the next two were Kyo. Tohru was always the second most popular character.

You must have missed something then, because if you refer to the Fruits Basket Fanbook: Neko guide you will that the first poll shown in the 2000 Hana to Yume Comics No 8 show that Kyo did win the first poll, by 5000+ votes over Tohru. He had 6000 over Yuki.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8