• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching this and it was ok....

Even though I really didn't felt anything (sorry for the fans! "Gomen Nasai"), I still enjoyed one or two episodes, especially the ones that has Tohru's bestfriends on it I really like those two, Uo and Hana. Also I like Yuki than Kyo.

One thing though, I was wandering did the manga showed a character for Rooster and Horse? Cause I've been waiting to see the horse character (because that's my sign), and it didn't happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:

One thing though, I was wandering did the manga showed a character for Rooster and Horse? Cause I've been waiting to see the horse character (because that's my sign), and it didn't happen.

Oh, yes does the Horse show up in the manga. In fact, the Horse is rather critical in the entire manga. Several things that the Horse does affects at the very least four other characters. The Horse is a very critical componant of the story. And the Rooster's story line is something to behold as well!
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quote
I got around to watching the last DVD and must admit that I really enjoyed the last two episodes. What it comes down to is that there are some moments that I really enjoy about this series and I find myself frustrated (much like much of Eva) when the series squanders it with silly filler moments. I particularly am disappointed in Hiro, Ritsu and Hatsuharu who seen to be underdeveloped and don't do much to further the main characters. The stuff with the Yuki fan club also didn't do much for me. For some reason Toru's two friends actually work for me. spoiler[I like the scene near the end where they meet her at the Honda family grave. ]

For me the finest moments are Kyo's highlights in the last two episodes, Momiji's backstory, and Hatori's story about his girlfriend. I actually wish that we would have seen more of Hatori and Akito since they seem to have a very intense relationship. Toru's relation with her mother is also very touching and I found the rare flashback scene very powerful. spoiler[I also enjoy the theme of you being remembered after you are gone which ties nicely into the Akito scene at the end ] I love the dramatic side of this series.

In regards to Yuki's voice I will agree that Aya Hisakawa is way too girly to sound like a man. There are many tough sounding female voice actors who I find convincing as young men like Megumi Ogata, Yuka Imai (Otaru from Saber Marionette who also plays Toru's friend Arisa) and Romi Paku but Aya Hisakawa tends to play girls like Sailor Mercury and Hinoto from X and feels odd when she even plays tough girls.
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I particularly am disappointed in Hiro, Ritsu and Hatsuharu who seen to be underdeveloped and don't do much to further the main characters.

Quite a few characters suffered from the anime only covering 1/3 of the manga. Hiro was one of them, and he's gotten a bit of good material (and much more likeable) lately in the manga.

Ritsu hasn't shown up much more in the manga than in the anime, largely because Ri's generally either at college or the onsen rather than the main house or Shigure's place and therefore not involved with most of what's going on (thank God - the poor thing would probably have been institutionalized at best otherwise). They did leave out something very important at the end of Ri's episode that you'll probably find interesting if you don't mind a manga spoiler: spoiler[In the manga, when he and Tohru get back to Shigure's place, Shigure's editor Mitchan is there, and Ritsu and Mitchan are clearly attracted to eachother to Tohru's delight. It's implied that she's going to be his "special someone", and there's circumstantial evidence in recent volumes that they've started dating.] It's a shame that they left that little bit out, because it would only have taken about 2 or 3 minutes.

As for Haru, the anime sadly cut off almost literally right when his big storyline would have begun. His effect on Yuki is also very, very subtle especially during the period covered in the anime. Without giving away specifics, Yuki has since connected very strongly with Haru and the moment in the manga when he realizes what a friend he has in Haru is one of the most moving in the manga so far, in my opinion. Actually, I like Haru's place in the story. He likes Tohru and is very fond of her for her effect on people who are very dear to him (Yuki and Kisa in particular), but he's not as close to her as the other three high school boys (with one blink-and-you'll-miss-it small print exception she still significantly uses -san with him instead of the -kun she uses with the other three even though she's basically known him just as long at this point in the manga, and he still calls her Honda-san) which gives him a clearer perspective on events. He's probably going to be the relatively objective bystander (and perhaps commentator representing the audience POV) to what happens as the series draws to a close.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
There were several characters that were underdeveloped, and then there were also characters missing from the anime that came up in the manga later. What they could have done, but didn't do, that's pretty easy to point out in this series. Which is why I myself am in favor of the manga side. The anime I'll admit does have its moments, and then it has fillers as well, which sometimes I felt were unnecessary.
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
The anime I'll admit does have its moments, and then it has fillers as well, which sometimes I felt were unnecessary.

The big filler was probably expanding Uo and Hana's visit to make a full ep. - I actually can't think of much more unless you include the events of the final visit to Akito, which was anime-only but technically an alternate conclusion rather than filler. I really wish they would have moved and used the trip to the Haunted House in the mall instead, which was hilarious. spoiler[You have to love Haru's bizzare story and mannequin decapitation along with Momiji pwning Yuki and Kyo by waltzing off with Tohru while they're squabbling over her Very Happy .]
stardf29

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, I won't say too much about the series itself, as I already raved about it on page 71 of the Top 10 Best Anime...

As an adaptation of the manga, the anime works well, I think. The voices give a certain life to the characters, and some parts work better acted out. For example, the story Ayame used to convince the school to let him have long hair was sort of a drag to read about in the manga. In the anime, the over-the-top way his voice actor told that story made it absolutely hilarious.

Yeah, there's a whole lot of story left to tell in the anime, but I don't think of that as a fault of the anime itself so much as a fault that there seems to be no plans for additional seasons... *is still hoping*

The two have their own charms. The anime got me into the manga, I'd say, and I love them both. I've read and re-read the four volumes I have countless times, and when I finally get volume 5, that one's probably going to be read and re-read even more (if only because it has Kisa, and Kisa is awesome).

That said, if the anime gets you interested in the manga, then the anime must have been rather good... or else it would just make you avoid the manga.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
stardf29 wrote:
That said, if the anime gets you interested in the manga, then the anime must have been rather good... or else it would just make you avoid the manga.

I guess that applies to me. People here highly recommend the manga to me, but even though it's probably better I have no desire to read it after not enjoying the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blue64

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So i ask maybe something didn't appeal to me my first time around. what makes this particular anime good, popular and worth watching?

No accounting for good taste I suppose. Perhaps you're not completely inept to basic emotions ( you know happy, sad, etc.). Maybe do to you're mental disability you were unable to grasp the obvious plot hooks, and charm of the anime, though I would advice you to read the manga after watching it,( not gonna say why, because I don't feel like it). Also: I love Hanajima, and Hatsharu, and spoiler[AKITO IS A GIRL AND TOHRU CHOOSES KYO!! ]^ ^

[Edit: No spoilers without tags please. - Keonyn]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
The big filler was probably expanding Uo and Hana's visit to make a full ep. - I actually can't think of much more unless you include the events of the final visit to Akito, which was anime-only but technically an alternate conclusion rather than filler. I really wish they would have moved and used the trip to the Haunted House in the mall instead, which was hilarious. spoiler[You have to love Haru's bizzare story and mannequin decapitation along with Momiji pwning Yuki and Kyo by waltzing off with Tohru while they're squabbling over her Very Happy .]

Actually when spoiler[Saki and Arisa went to Shigure's house ]that turned out to have filler as well.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Actually when spoiler[Saki and Arisa went to Shigure's house ]that turned out to have filler as well.

Yeah, that was what I was talking about.
fruitsbasket94

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Okay i seen fruits baskets and read some manga a bit. It just doesnt appeal to me at all. Am i missing something? Everyone always says "its so dramatic and funny and cool. Get in to it Viga..." i say "ummmm i don't like it much." "what really!"

for christmas 2 years in a row i got fruits baskets stuff. 2 hats and a t shirt. i was assumed to like this sorta thing.

So i ask maybe something didn't appeal to me my first time around. what makes this particular anime good, popular and worth watching?

[EDIT: Fixed series title in thread title.~Zalis]

I think that the manga for fruits basket its a bit better. Mabey you should try that.(plus the manga goes up way farther then the anime.) I like it alot and am almost done with all of the volumes of the manga.

And mabey fruits basket is just not your thing? But I really think you should try the manga.

I do think that if you dont like the series of the anime that you should try the manga. Theres alot missing in the anime. They stop the anime right when it starts to get good. The manga has 19 or 20 volumes (I cant really remember!) But Im on volume 17 right now.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
fruitsbasket94 wrote:
I do think that if you don't like the series of the anime that you should try the manga. Theres alot missing in the anime. They stop the anime right when it starts to get good. The manga has 19 or 20 volumes (I can't really remember!) But Im on volume 17 right now.

23 to be exact, with two fanbooks out as well with info on the characters, situations, volumes, that sort of thing.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Don't feel bad....I feel the same way about the series.
I read some of the manga and didn't like it because it had too much drama.
Then My friends told me "The anime is more funny then the manga!!!"
Guess what?
It was exactly the same.
I guess I didn't like Fruits Basket because I dove into it, thinking it was a comedy....
....when it was really.....
...a drama.

Rolling Eyes
Celes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Ummm this topic is old...o.o But anyway! I never contributed.

I agree with the OP. I didn't "get" Fruits Basket either. My ex-college roommate loved it, and I bought her the Fruits Basket calendar for her birthday and thought the pictures were cute. But since I like manga more than anime in general, I thought I would get the manga from the library.

Well, after 18 volumes, I have to say I definitely don't get it or like it. Tohru is one of the most annoying heroines I have ever encountered in a shojo manga. She's way too perfect for my tastes. "Oh, I'm so perky and sweet and affectionate even though spoiler[most of my family is dead and I live in a tent, nothing gets me down]!" And I know you could call that having a positive outlook in life, and that maybe I'm a cynical girl, but Tohru is so sweet to the point where I was on the verge of diabetes with each volume of the manga completed.

Also, I think the writing is just awful. So many run-on sentences, so many incomplete sentences, so many ...'s...And then just tons of sentences that didn't make grammatical sense. Of course, since the local re-writer is Lianne Sentar, I'm sure that has something to do with it. I always thought she was a terrible writer, and she really did a number on this story. After seeing her butcher Sailor Moon novels and this, I'll never read anything she is involved with again unless there is a gun to my head.

Another thing is that I think there was just too many characters. It was enough to have all the Zodiacs, but then when they started throwing in nearly all of their classmates, I had a hard time keeping track of who was who and who they liked and didn't like. For a while I kept getting them mixed up too because many are drawn way too similarly.

The only thing I liked about Fruits Basket was the concept/story, it's just too bad it was executed poorly. I finally gave up after volume 18, I had been skimming the last couple volumes and decided to stop putting it on hold at the library and trying to make sense of it. I did go on lots of fan sites though so I could find out the ending Wink I wanted to know how the author could possibly tie up all the loose ends and just how exactly spoiler[the curse was broken, although that was a let-down].

It's ok to not like a popular series, as not everyone has the same taste. It's only not ok to not like it if you have never even given it a chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8