• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
Celes wrote:
She's way too perfect for my tastes.

Hmm, as probably all of Takaya's other heroines, but they have varied in their roles from series to series. Tohru spoiler[is actually on the verge of breaking down] as we come to the final volumes of the series, but I'll let that go for other fans. I wouldn't blame you, it all depends upon what readers are looking for. Interesting and constructive criticism indeed!
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Ok heres my problems with the series: I dont mean to offend anyone..hope I dont. :[

I really liked Kyo, Shigure(that pervert writer), and Yuki's brother but they were not given enough attention for me to finish the series. I saw the whole anime. I tried reading the manga but got bored.

There are way too many characters in this series and I dont like them all. What makes it worse for me is that the author tries to give them all lots of focus and I get bored when characters I dont like get attention. (ex: any kids, I hate kids. Yuki, I hate his guts deeply. That weirdo with the white hair who seems to have two personalities and wants to fight Kyo.. Confused )

Oh and I really hate Yuki so much and he gets lots of focus. I like his brother better. Yuki seems like one of those fake people who smile and seem perfect and like a prince but arent. I hate fake people. I dont like his high and mighty "Im better then you" attitude towards Kyo-an attitude which also seems fake.

I would have read it if there was more Kyo&Tohru focus. There wasnt and I gave up. I couldnt swim through all that other stuff just to get to it. I got bored.

Although Tohru is sweet and angelic it bugs me. I am also kind and shy but I have a hot temper too. I get mad. I may usually say yes but I do explode sometimes. I wish she got mad more. Slap someone, lose control a bit. She makes me want to slap her around. I also dont like how so many people like her so much. Even her friends seem like they would go lesbian for her.

But really, my main problem is that there are too many characters and it drives me insane. I actually get tired of reading it and need a break and a rest afterwards.

I rather stick to stuff like MARS, Girl got game, and Hana Yori Dango. They are more addicting and I dont get tired after reading them. And they dont have a giant cast of characters.
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Pinkwings wrote:
Oh and I really hate Yuki so much and he gets lots of focus. I like his brother better. Yuki seems like one of those fake people who smile and seem perfect and like a prince but arent. I hate fake people. I don't like his high and mighty "Im better then you" attitude towards Kyo-an attitude which also seems fake.

Wow. I'll try to leave out things in the manga that the anime didn't get into, although I'm dying to bring that into it, but even in the anime did you get the hints of spoiler[how utterly horrific Yuki's childhood was? He was really, truly trying his best to get past that and forgive everyone who was responsible for it - and doing better than most of us would, I might add. He never once started his arguments with Kyo (although Kyo had his reasons, but again, that's manga related and we won't get into that), and he never once claimed to be perfect - in fact, just the opposite. It was the insane fangirls who started that concept - one of which he never approved, by the way.]

I like and feel for the guy. No offense meant at disagreeing with you right back at ya. Wink
rockerboy1997137

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
fruitsbasket94 wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Okay i seen fruits baskets and read some manga a bit. It just doesnt appeal to me at all. Am i missing something? Everyone always says "its so dramatic and funny and cool. Get in to it Viga..." i say "ummmm i don't like it much." "what really!"

for christmas 2 years in a row i got fruits baskets stuff. 2 hats and a t shirt. i was assumed to like this sorta thing.

So i ask maybe something didn't appeal to me my first time around. what makes this particular anime good, popular and worth watching?

[EDIT: Fixed series title in thread title.~Zalis]

I think that the manga for fruits basket its a bit better. Mabey you should try that.(plus the manga goes up way farther then the anime.) I like it alot and am almost done with all of the volumes of the manga.

And mabey fruits basket is just not your thing? But I really think you should try the manga.

I do think that if you don't like the series of the anime that you should try the manga. Theres alot missing in the anime. They stop the anime right when it starts to get good. The manga has 19 or 20 volumes (I can't really remember!) But Im on volume 17 right now.

yeah i think that if you don't like the anime the manga might appeal to you alot more like me the anime was not my cup of tea but i loved the manga!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
I think having too many characters is a problem when the series is only given a certain amount of time to finish. Hence, not giving the diversity it needs to bring everything into order. I read Pinkwings comments and what really draws me to say this is I think that with how the series ended as well, it really didn't bring to light how everybody could have ended up. To really go past the anime you have to read the manga. If you find the parts that were covered by the anime I strongly suggest then to go onto the parts past the anime, and go a little bit more into what the FB world holds.

I give credit to the author for giving some very good character development to key individuals depicted within the story, but in the case of where I stand on the series, there were some people I obviously felt she did not give enough development to. And that is just the way things are. And, as mentioned, there are a lot more things about the characters that make them who they are in the anime series, that gets covered later on in the manga. That's why the anime can be a little misleading.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:25 am Reply with quote
EDIT: full version of this project's analysis is below: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4501219#4501219

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:40 pm; edited 25 times in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I locked this thread given that it is a 7 year necropost figuring there was a more current thread I could link to instead. However, it turns out this is the most current thread on Fruits Basket. That being the case I am unlocking it obviously. I cleaned up the thread title some so it doesn't seem like a rant thread but an actual discussion thread. Might also merge some of the post from other FB discussion here.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:49 am Reply with quote
I found the thread through Anthony's catalogue -- there are three links about this anime, but the other two are even older in their latest posts, so this one more looks like "general discussion thread" about this anime.

Besides, old threads are great. It is always interesting how people perceived anime when it was much fresher than currently (though this anime is from 2001, so this thread is not old enough for that purpose).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
@MaxSouth

I'd like to respond to a couple of the points you made.

Visuals:
I assume the "rules" 2 through 6 you cited are for the purposes of drawing realistic human faces. Unfortunately this is a cartoon and realism is not a requirement. I suppose you could use such standards to critique cartoons, but I don't see the point. You are going to find problems with not only anime but most cartoons and animation world wide.

Female voice actors, both in the original Japanese voice track and in the English dub for young or slight males are very common. I don't see the problem, before the voice changes there is really very little difference.

The "cat" character has fairly strong reasons for his anger management problems. You need to finish the show.

The loss of the main character's mother is intrinsic to the show. It is a significant driving force in her character and effects other characters as well. Most of the attempts at bullying are as a result of her association with the "Prince" which is a fairly common trope. Early on she is not so much bullied as ignored as not fitting in. Something that does happen in early grades as I can attest from personal experience. It doesn't need a "reason", it just happens.

Incest in the cursed family is not as likely as would initially appear. It is a very large family and only 13 members actually change when embraced by non family members. I believe others have mentioned elsewhere on the forum that Japan allows first cousins to marry. The anime does not suggest any relationships between more closely related individuals.

I really don't see this as a vehicle for teaching psychology to children. You would have to spend too much time sorting the real from the imaginary. There are, in any case, some really messed up characters in this show.

I think you are spending too much time looking at individual trees to see the forest.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
MOD MERGE POWERS ACTIVATE!

BOOM-SHAKKA-LAKKA

And now we have an official Fruits Basket thread, opening post and all.

Man, it has to have been over 10 years since I watched this series. I still think it's a great series, even with the unfinished ending. The emotional weight of the last two episodes is just too well done to not appreciate.

I've been missing Hope's radio drama adaptation. My sister and I were following it pretty closely. But, hey, she has a full-time job at ANN, which is awesome. Maybe some day we'll get more, but for now I'm happy with what was produced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I think you are spending too much time looking at individual trees to see the forest.

I do spend time looking at individual trees, but I certainly do not miss the forest.

For comparison, many viewers do not spend time on details and, as result, the forest they see has little binding to reality, but rather represents an impression from certain angle that may miss signifiant parts simply by the very nature of surrender to a certain canvas of perception.

By forcing yourself into looking at every thing big or little, you are overcoming natural predispositions for or against a subject, and you are able to see more "objective" picture ("objective" is, of course, in inverted commas as ultimately there is nothing that is truly objective; however, relatively, the method I use allows to gain more objectivity).
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
MOD MERGE POWERS ACTIVATE!

BOOM-SHAKKA-LAKKA

And now we have an official Fruits Basket thread, opening post and all.

Man, it has to have been over 10 years since I watched this series. I still think it's a great series, even with the unfinished ending. The emotional weight of the last two episodes is just too well done to not appreciate.

I've been missing Hope's radio drama adaptation. My sister and I were following it pretty closely. But, hey, she has a full-time job at ANN, which is awesome. Maybe some day we'll get more, but for now I'm happy with what was produced.

You should have said Wonder Mod Powers Activate! Form of a coherent Thread! Would have been more epic than a weak Boom Shakka Lakka. Tisk Tisk.

Fruits Basket was actually one of the few "popular" anime I checked out due to it's popularity that I liked. Most times I either think shows fall short of the hype or I avoid them until there is no more hype altogether. That way I can get a more unbiased viewing. FB was an exception to that and it worked out. I thoroughly enjoyed the series and I agree Willag, even with the unfinished anime ending the last 2 episodes were pretty powerful. Fortunately the manga gave a more concrete ending.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Thankfully, this really bad habit of using gender-inappropriate voices is mostly thing of the past, and almost non-existent any more in anime from the last ten years or so.

Don't know which anime you've been watching for the last ten years, because lord knows there's still a lot of male characters voiced by females, especially when it comes to young teenagers. Just off the top of my head Armin from Attack on Titan, Yun from Akatsuki no Yona, Ciel from Kuroshitsuji and Aladdin from Magi, all series from the past two years, and there's nothing wrong with it because these women deliver AMAZING, extremely emotional performances.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
Armin is ambiguous even in the manga, Yun, Ciel and Aladdin are children, do not look like teens at all, hence those voice choices do not destroy believability of the characters that much.

(Of course, ideally, studios should cast real children for child roles, but since producers always think of possible sequel stories to tell, they can not lose voice actors to puberty that changes their voices.)

So current state of affairs is much better than in the past, where even quite adult characters were voiced by actors of non-matching gender much more often.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:19 am Reply with quote
Armin is ambiguous? That's the most absurd thing you could say to try to argue your already weak case. If it's about Isayama's JOKE about Armin being a girl, he's already clarified that Armin is a guy (go to 3:10). Also, both Yun and Ciel have deep voices, even if they are children. I know it's a waste of time to argue with you, but the assumption that some male character voices are not believable just because they are voiced by female is absolutely baffling. These women are amazingly talented and bring the characters to life in beautiful ways. Armin's speeches are powerful and heartfelt, Ciel delivers deathly despairing lines masterfully. Romi Park has repeatedly made brilliant young male performances, including of course Edward Elric and Hitsugaya Toshiro, and even adult men like Uesugi Kenshin. And Megumi Ogata continues to voice Shinji even in the Rebuild movies, and is able to pull off all the character's raw emotions. The gender of the seiyuu shouldn't matter so long as they can play the part, and all these women are more than capable of such
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8