• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Perfect / Pointless / Poignant Quotes.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
I got scared by the vehement way in which he ended this thread. (I spent since then quite some time on this forum but the fear hasn't left me. Embarassed )

Well, that's just Tony for ya, always flying off the handle and loosing his cool at any sign of the slightest repetition or grammar error--really scary stuff! I actually had a nightmare a few nights ago in which Tony chased me around with his moderator machete, spouting grammatical diatribe: "I've just about had it with your non-defining relative clauses, missy! That's the last time you'll ever use an intransitive verb on THIS forum! And the next time you ask for a Twelve Kingdoms continuation, at the very least you'd better get your participles straight!" As if Tony would ever really say something like that...

Seriously, though, Tony's one of the sweetest, nicest, most likeable people ever; there's no need to fear him. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:35 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Seriously, though, Tony's one of the sweetest, nicest, most likeable people ever; there's no need to fear him. Wink

QFT.

I'm one of the most abrasive, least sensitive, and consistently unyielding posters here. I probably ruffle more feathers than the next twenty posters combined. So, if anybody would have felt Tony's wrath by now it probably would have been me. And yet, I have nothing against Tony K. whatsoever. The times when he changed my posts or locked my threads have all been fair and even-handed, even in my own view. Bringing Tony into the mix of moderators was an excellent decision.

I don't generally use such flowery language like the quoted piece above, so I'll just say that Tony's a real stand-up guy who moderates from the high road, uses his power sparingly, and typically goes for the least invasive maneuver possible. He's not just one of the best moderators on ANN, he's one of the best moderators I've seen anywhere.

Just be glad I'm not a moderator. Twisted Evil
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
Tony K wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, I was feeling a bit tense that day Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop. No real harm meant. But yeah, I've seen a lot of Berserk, Hellsing, Tenjou Tenge, Fruits Basket, Full Metal Panic!, Inu Yasha, and 12 Kingdoms continuation threads asking when the next season will come out.

I can understand your anger especially when you have to deal with such questions so many times. I was quite surprised to see people still asking about a second season of Fruits Basket especially when the first one ended like 3 or 4 years ago.

Tony K wrote:
Quote:
Again, I apologize if I scared you.

No worries, you don't have to apologize for this. Smile You were doing your job (and very well, I might add here Wink ) and it's not your fault if I got so scared. Smile Still I hope I'll never make you angry. Smile
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hi, Nasty. Your site is valid not bad. More dythyrambs are not present, that would not grow proud:)))
I shall not tell that I am a nudist, but if to select - to tan without anything or in bathing suit, I choose first...

Hehe, that made me laugh - they've taught the spambots to speak Engrish Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Shiroi Hane's post above reminded me of one of the funniest posts I've ever seen on this forum, over in the "Identifying Anime" thread:

Shiroi Hane wrote:
jeelo56 wrote:
hey i want to download the whole medabots series but i can't find any where help !!

Sounds like Medabots to me, but I need more information to be certain.

Haha! I'm still laughing at that one.

In response to this,
daxomni wrote:
I don't generally use such flowery language like the quoted piece above, so I'll just say that Tony's a real stand-up guy who moderates from the high road, uses his power sparingly, and typically goes for the least invasive maneuver possible. He's not just one of the best moderators on ANN, he's one of the best moderators I've seen anywhere.

I must be the last person on this site who doesn't think of "Tony" synonymously with "moderator." (Sorry if that undermines your great powers, Tony! Wink) He's just a nice guy who's fun to talk about anime with, to me. And that's really what this place is all about, right? I know he's a great mod, too, but I was complimenting Tony the person more than Tony the mod before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:32 am Reply with quote
I had to do some digging for the link on this one, but it relates to one of the saddest events ever reported on this site.
Tempest wrote:
This was, from one perspective, the hardest news article I ever wrote.

-t
From the initial forum post in response to this news article, which happened about a month and a half after I'd started posting at ANN. Of course, after 11 pages, the thread ended with:
Tempest wrote:
This is getting stupid.

Locked.

-t
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I found some old threads of myself back when I used to be an idiot and a backseat mod.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=213754

Also, I doubt anybody went back to this thread 3 months after it ended, so I felt I should post it now (over a year after it ended). My edit basically rendered the whole arguement pointless.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=200808

PantsGoblin wrote:
Me and my friend watched it in english and didn't even notice it was mono, lol. Anyway I hope they're able to fix this, cause I really like DearS.

Edit: Now that this arguement is over I just want to state that I actually like DearS in subs better... Laughing

Also, that was a lie, I don't really like DearS that much. Don't know why I said that...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I actually found a couple of excellent staff quotes in Pants' thread:

Zac wrote:
Or you could both stop being such obnoxious idiots!

Bet you didn't even think there WAS a third option!

tempest wrote:
You're being a snob.

I wonder, which would you rather watch the Japanese dub of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, or the English dub of Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust?

I'll be nice and give this awa now instead of waiting for you to answer and "springing the trap" on you then. The original version is the English version (The Japanese director oversaw the English recording, the Japanese dub wasn't created for another year or so, and was only created because the Japanese market had no intention of watching animation in its original language). By your logic, if you prefer the Japanese dub, you're not an anime fan. (and yes, it is anime, it was created by a renowned anime director and animated at madhouse. It was merely the creator's artistic vision that the characters should speak English).

:-p

-t
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I had to do some digging for the link on this one, but it relates to one of the saddest events ever reported on this site.
Tempest wrote:
This was, from one perspective, the hardest news article I ever wrote.

-t
From the initial forum post in response to this news article, which happened about a month and a half after I'd started posting at ANN. Of course, after 11 pages, the thread ended with:
Tempest wrote:
This is getting stupid.

Locked.

-t

All I can say to that is wow. I tried imagining sitting there typing away myself with an ex bf of my sister downstairs planning to kill me and her. That's just not right. I'm glad he posted and wrote so much as that is what helped police find his killer. Just goes to show how important writing and expressing yourself really is. I know that's an old article but since I wasn't here at that time I just wanna say that I found that article very humbling.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Please tell me Code Geass isn't really supposed to be pronouced "Code Gayass."

Oh brother. Razz
WesW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:

Oh brother. Razz

What thread was her quote from? That's hilarious!

Reference to Tony K. quote regarding FMP dub: I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed in it. Now we need to try and get Tony and Key into a bitch-slapping contest over it, simply for our viewing pleasure. Wink It could be like an ANN reality show- When Mods Fight!

Serious questions:
1)Can one mod ban another mod, or would Tempest have to step in?
2)What do QFT and pwnage mean? (And yes, I'm old. I have a pretty good idea about pwnage, but Abudai's remark about auto-pwnage has gotten me to wondering.)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
What thread was her quote from? That's hilarious!

The General Anime Questions thread.

Quote:
1)Can one mod ban another mod, or would Tempest have to step in?

None of the mods here have the power to ban.

Quote:
2)What do QFT and pwnage mean? (And yes, I'm old. I have a pretty good idea about pwnage, but Abudai's remark about auto-pwnage has gotten me to wondering.)

QFT = Quoted for truth

pwnage = Being owned, or ownage. The "o" is just changed to a "p". More information here.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
Now we need to try and get Tony and Key into a bitch-slapping contest over it, simply for our viewing pleasure. Wink It could be like an ANN reality show- When Mods Fight!

Key isn't a moderator; he's an ANN reviewer.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:25 am Reply with quote
And neither Key nor Tony are b----es Wink
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:

Oh brother. Razz

Well, it was an honest question. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 105