• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Perfect / Pointless / Poignant Quotes.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Ya know by the end Keitaro became pretty badass himself. Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist completes a play worthy of any highlight reel:
Surrender Artist wrote:
I would like a women's ice hockey show. It could re-use Yuri!!! on Ice's title.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
It's a technology known as "motion interpolation," but every TV manufacturer has their own trademarked name for it: Sony calls it MotionFlow; Samsung calls it Auto Motion Plus; Sharp calls it AquoMotion; Toshiba calls it ClearScan; Vizio calls it Smooth Motion; and LG calls it TruMotion. I call it a crime against motion pictures.
marshall2000_uk wrote:
I turn this god damn crime against humanity off
Cool Smile Very Happy Laughing
EDIT:
Flare-kun wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:
So the Press Secretary likes anime. I feel better already Rolling Eyes

Yeah my respect for him just went up a notch. Thankfully though that's only one notch of about a thousand, so my opinion is largely unchanged. Laughing
Agreed.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't know whether to be amused or appalled..... Confused

From this thread on Manga Fairs:
kgw wrote:
manug wrote:
[...]
Here's the evidence. You don't know what you're talking about.
[...]
I am sure you do know how "evidences" works: it's data you need to prove something: you gave "feelings". I know that "alternative facts" are the new fad, but you are proving nothing that way. Cool
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
The 2nd question of this Justin Sevakis column inspired quite a bit of discussion.....
mangamuscle wrote:
Emdykay wrote:
I would pick Berserk instead and start over from scratch as I am not content with any of its adaptions^^

Since we are daydreaming I will join the fray, if I got loads of money I would start small, one 24 minutes OVA is a very BIG project IMO. Also, even if I am daydreaming I have no expectation whatsoever that any famous mangaka would accept to lend their intellectual property to john mcnoone (can you say three times fast MACROSS?), but I would do the same the MAD magazine did in the 60s and make parodies that can't be done in japan because it is illegal there (unless you OWN said franchise like in Carnival Phantasm). Also, I would go direct to Korea, Dr Movie did a fantastic job with Avatar and they are used to doing jobs with zero emotional investment (as in, you dont have to convince them you are serious).

Anyone else wants to take a sip of this pipe dream, this is powerful stuff Anime hyper
Laughing
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
This thread is definitely on life support.....

Just for laughs, the following two quotes are from December, 2002.
Bamboo Dong wrote:
Shelf Life: A Buying Guide for the Broke Otaku

As the holiday season rolls around, yearly traditions are brought out of the closet and into people's lives again. The compilation of wish lists, the taking of final exams, the selling of textbooks never opened, the purchase of gifts, and… the depletion of wallets. With all the other stuff you have to buy for other people for the holidays, what about the stuff you want to buy for yourself? Surely, you deserve to receive just as many presents from yourself as others do from you, right? After all, you have to deal with yourself every single day—not to mention having to look at yourself naked in the mirror. Perhaps a little reward is due to you. It sounds like a great idea, too bad you have no money. Had I more money than you then I'd laugh at you as well, but all I can do is present you with the next best thing I can think of: a buying guide for the broke otaku.

Based solely on personal opinion, intuition, and whims of judgment, I present to you an all-new column that you (yes, I'm talking directly to you) can read every week on Anime News Network, starting just in time for the holidays. Don't you feel privileged? You should, since I'm here just to console you and be your friend for all those lonely days that some other jerk made fun of your over/never washed anime shirt. Anyway, the premise of the column is simple. Each installment will take a look at the new anime DVD releases of the upcoming week, all of which will then be thrown into categories marked as shelf-worthy, video rental shelf, and perishable item. Sound simple? Good.
Bamboo Dong wrote:
Shelf-Life: Clearin' da Shelf for next year's stuff

With only a couple of weeks to go until the end of the year, the anime release calendars are silent. However, I'd like to take this time to talk about a few of the titles that are going to be released in the first part of next year. Some are so good that the next year will be hard to wait for—others will make you wish that this year will drag on for all of eternity.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
And I thank you for the CPR!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
This receives +1 moderator points for the revival.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Unintentionally opened a can a worms by opening a thread about the mega poll survey...

lossthief wrote:
Tripple-A wrote:
...please use the japanese names, many anime have really weird names in english and are barely recognizable.

That's a good idea. ANN really should be more considerate when making these polls. I've taken the liberty of editing some of the entries so folks can better discern what titles we're talking about.

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
shosakukan wrote:

So...

...what are they saying?

(Hides behind couch.)

Cool Smile Very Happy Laughing Mr. Green
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I guess a little backstory is in order to give context to the quotes I'm about to provide. Recently, a Shelf Life column ran a review of a show called Super Lovers. The related discussion thread in the Talkback Forum became pretty entertaining and I'd like to provide some gems from it. First the thread in question:

It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's SUPER LOVERS!!!

Here are some posts worth noting:

TrailOfDead wrote:
how dare you say the show about a grown man grooming his teenage brother-son for sex is gross

Spastic Minnow wrote:
There was a sequel?

How about a prequel?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
From here, about the Shelf Life review of Girlish Number.

meiam wrote:
[quoting the article]
Quote:

For what it's worth, she reminds me a little of Bender from Futurama

I'll make my own anime, with blackjack and hookers! Laughing

yeah, just a simple pop culture reference, but it made me laugh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
In the review thread for Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens:
mandisaw wrote:
The Ramens are more like a family than a criminal organization, with the ninja hitman et al being those out-of-state cousins who have strange ideas about potato salad
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
In the Fall Manga guide I was pondering about the "That time I got reincarnated as " naming mini-trend... It's not like they get reincarnated another time...

trilaan wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
...although that might be an interesting tale. A sort of Quantum Leap of Isekai situations.

Theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett was run over by Truck-kun...and vanished. He awoke to find himself trapped in other worlds, facing mirror images that were not his own and driven by an unknown force to change Isekai heroes for the better. His only guide on this journey is Al-chan, an observer from his own world who appears in the form of a magical girl that only Sam can see and hear. And so Dr. Beckett find himself leaping from premise to premise, striving to put right bad story lines, and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home.

Very Happy
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow
Now that is an impressive fanfic! Smile Cool Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 104 of 105