• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime deserve a redub badly, in your opinion?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoudyKing101

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Honestly there are a couple that I think deserve a redub.

Cardcaptor Sakura: This is in desperate need of a redub. The Animax dub is faithful, but very mediocre. I hope Funimation/Crunchyroll gets around to dubbing it, since they dubbed Clear Card.

Tokyo Mew Mew 2002: Since the reboot is coming out soon, it would only make sense to make an uncut redub of the original. Hopefully, it happens sooner than later.

Sonic X: Okay, this one is a bit more personal, but I would really love a new uncut dub of the original with the current cast from the games. Also include the original music, as I would love to see the Live And Learn scene in English. It's a shame that 4Kids cut it out, honestly.
JackInMegaMan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:33 pm Reply with quote
LoudyKing101 wrote:
Honestly there are a couple that I think deserve a redub.

Cardcaptor Sakura: This is in desperate need of a redub. The Animax dub is faithful, but very mediocre. I hope Funimation/Crunchyroll gets around to dubbing it, since they dubbed Clear Card.

Tokyo Mew Mew 2002: Since the reboot is coming out soon, it would only make sense to make an uncut redub of the original. Hopefully, it happens sooner than later.

Sonic X: Okay, this one is a bit more personal, but I would really love a new uncut dub of the original with the current cast from the games. Also include the original music, as I would love to see the Live And Learn scene in English. It's a shame that 4Kids cut it out, honestly.

Sonic X and Original Shaman King, Ojamajo Doremi. All 4Kids dubs that were mediocre.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:16 am Reply with quote
Noein

The English actress for the bombshell physicist character with a Kansai-ben accent sounds like she just stepped out of a meeting of the Birmingham chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy. It's the worst use of a Southern accent to represent Kansai-ban I've ever heard.

The other characters aren't very good either. Plus it appears no one listened to the Japanese sound track to learn how to pronounce the main character's name correctly.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:37 am Reply with quote
There are a lot of 90's anime OVAs that have mediocre or subpar dub when they first came out, if the OVAs was good or critically acclaimed but had a lousy dub, I think those could benefit today with a redub. I was watching BennettSage/Anime Abandon's review of Tokyo Babylon, and as the review pointed out, the dub is very subpar. I think Tokyo Babylon could benefit from a redub today (despite Tokyo Babylon OVA not being good).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:55 am Reply with quote
This is a pipe dream, but since it changed licensors between seasons, the cast ADV got for Comic Party Revolution was...really bad. I'd love to see it redubbed with the original cast, or the whole thing get a fresh start.

Even in the Right Stuf dub, some unusual localizations (referring to American money while clearly holding yen coins, calling doujinshi "fan comics") probably wouldn't be made today. However, the cast really sells it enough to make it a solid dub, especially Taishi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Sakura definitely. Utterly baffling such a popular and iconic series never got a proper English dub that isn't a mackecre or a bad Hong Kong dub.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:34 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Cardcaptor Sakura definitely. Utterly baffling such a popular and iconic series never got a proper English dub that isn't a mackecre or a bad Hong Kong dub.

Not so baffling. The show did get an English dub. Unfortunately it was associated with the hack job they did to the show to make it into a boy's show called Cardcaptors. All the merchandise was under this brand as well. We were fortunate that the company was willing to also issue the original version subbed. Surprisingly they continued to offer the original through the end even after the modified version failed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1