• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Registration requirements need to be increased.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Quote:
OK 20 posts then, no more and no less.

I hate to break it to you man, but you don't get to make a final decision in the matter. You can only make suggestions just like the rest of us.

From what Dessa has said curbing the PM rage guy is not possible, it was just a nice thought I had. I don't think it is a good idea to raise the bar to participation in the forums too high. You would tend to discourage participation and would end up with forums that are very polite because no one is there.

As far as trolling is concerned, most of that goes on within existing threads. This would not improve that.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
:
I wrote:
OK 20 posts then, no more and no less.

I hate to break it to you man, but you don't get to make a final decision in the matter. You can only make suggestions just like the rest of us.

I know that, this is just a debate about it. I know I'm not an admin or moderator on ANN, I'm just debating not implementing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
It appears that the need to deter the spammers was just aggressively demonstrated. Mad
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
It appears that the need to deter the spammers was just aggressively demonstrated. Mad

Yeah I just noticed that earlier, I have to send 4 reports.

Tony (or any mods or admins), if you're reading this see the problem. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

I only really go to the anime forum so I was wondering what you're on about. Then I noticed the last post on every subforum. I have to admit that I was a bit amused. I'm sure someone else won't be so amused.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Bumping this back up to ask if there are any thoughts from Admins on this, and if/when this may be implemented?

I ask now since Proud Asian seems to be back, spouting off his normal "non-Asians aren't allowed to cosplay" crap. If new accounts weren't allowed to create new threads, we wouldn't have that garbage.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
^
Looks like that thread has been deleted.
Yes, if this policy was implemented then there would have been no need for a moderator to spend time on it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Bumping this back up to ask if there are any thoughts from Admins on this, and if/when this may be implemented?

I ask now since Proud Asian seems to be back, spouting off his normal "non-Asians aren't allowed to cosplay" crap. If new accounts weren't allowed to create new threads, we wouldn't have that garbage.

He's back, that dude is back. Mad

I know the thread is no longer there. But now you know why we need this.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote
Proud Asian is back yet again, this time insinuating that Westerners have inferior blood which prevents them from making anime.

Tony K., please advise admin to implement the requirements sooner rather than later so we can all be safe from these asinine trolls.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Proud Asian is back yet again, this time insinuating that Westerners have inferior blood which prevents them from making anime.

So Proud Asian is back again?? He's not giving up is he? Rolling Eyes
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
We can't implement a minimum number of posts to send a PM because some people register for the purpose of sending a PM to staff.

Also, people who have been warned about an early posting violation need to be able to discuss it with the moderator via PM.

Sorry.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
We can't implement a minimum number of posts to send a PM because some people register for the purpose of sending a PM to staff.

Also, people who have been warned about an early posting violation need to be able to discuss it with the moderator via PM.

Sorry.

Well can anything be done about trolls like Proud Asian who just register to create new posts about how non-Asians can't do this and that. We don't want him back here and IP ban will not work for this guy.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
just report, ignore, and move on would be my suggestion. sure it's annoying, but that's a part of being on the internet
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

What about the idea of a minimum for starting a thread?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Sorry.

Okay, I understand why you can't touch the PMs.

But, you can implement a minimum number of posts requirement before a user can start a thread on the actual forums themselves, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4