• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Only Toonami?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Did my best to add the corrections people have noted, thanks for catching that stuff.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see a column like this for some of Adult Swim Action's stuff. The folks over at Williams Street really took some chances with that block, and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

(And there's a lot of stuff that aired on Adult Swim Action that, quite frankly, should have aired on Toonami. s-CRY-ed, Witch Hunter Robin, Moribito, Case Closed...heck, Pilot Candidate had already been edited for daytime TV by the time it made its way to ASA!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Ziko577 wrote:
To make matters worse, the Hub now know as Discovery Family rebooted it with Kaijudo and after seeing the series, it was a massive failure. The card game here even died not once but twice!

Well, to each their own, but I personally enjoyed Kaijudo while I found Duel Masters to have been utterly uninteresting (although I'm surprised to hear that Kaijudo was a re-imagined version of Duel Masters; that is news to me). It's actually one of the better written "kids and their creatures" shows I've seen in recent memory and stands out to me among the generic in a sea of imitators. I like collecting the cards for the game, but my local retailer unfortunately sold all their stock to another place recently, so I'm forced to hunt online for them.

Ah Toonami, I've long since enjoyed almost everything they've aired and I've been with it since Moltar was first running the show in 1997, when they first aired The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest, Voltron and ThunderCats. I had already sampled anime long before I started watching Toonami, but the programming block essentially immersed me in the medium; I have them to thank for it. Looking back, I loved Ronin Warriors a lot and I feel like there's something fun about Zoids I missed back then (truthfully I never got around to watching all of it). When stuff like Tenchi Muyo and Outlaw Star started making the scene, I knew I was hooked. I've always stuck with Toonami since it gave me something to look forward to each day after school and it's been a big part of my life since seventeen years ago.

The 2008 farewell was pretty heartbreaking and I cursed Cartoon Network's stupid CEO for being anti-animation, wanting to replace nearly everything with live action garbage (which he thought people actually wanted to watch) and essentially "ruining CN forever". Of course with the big 2012 return, I couldn't have been happier. Now I'm just grateful I have something to look forward to on Saturday night after a long work week.

I find this whole thing quite memorable. First Toonami was around to entertain me after school, and now it's still around to do so after work. I don't care if it sounds silly, but I feel like it's that reliable best friend that's stuck by me since my childhood.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, to be fair, during that time, the Disney Channel was rising up real fast with High School Musical and those sitcoms, leaving their animated programming in the dust. One can see the logic in wanting to capture some of that thunder at the cost of going against the channel's very name.

While some of these sitcoms are still on the air, they've mostly died down, and now even the Disney Channel, which started the whole thing, considers the likes of Phineas and Ferb and Sofia the First as their tentpole shows with Gravity Falls likely following very soon. CN Real bombed though, and that was acknowledged. (I personally found Dude, What Would Happen? as offensive in its very premise, as it was essentially MythBusters without any of the science.)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
IGPX does make me sad since it didn't really work out despite it being pretty obvious that the people making it clearly wanted the co-production idea to work and put in the effort. It was really strange that the pilot micro-series was nothing like the show, however. I watched it again when it aired on the current Toonami, and I still liked it, probably even more so now.

It's also interesting to see that Zoids Fuzors is where that franchise dropped off since I recall that being where my interested dried up, as well. I liked Zoids for some reason, despite it obviously being about selling toys, but I could never muster an interest for anything more than the original.

Having some shows make the jump from Toonami to Adult Swim actually helped teach me that some people only watch a little bit of anime. I hadn't seen Big O prior to its AS premiere, but a guy I knew in high school told me how dumb he thought the show was. After watching it and liking it, I talked with him about why he felt as he did, and he ended up admitting that all he really watched was DBZ. Until then, I just figured that people who watched anime were like me in that they were open to all sorts of shows.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, to be fair, during that time, the Disney Channel was rising up real fast with High School Musical and those sitcoms, leaving their animated programming in the dust. One can see the logic in wanting to capture some of that thunder at the cost of going against the channel's very name.

While some of these sitcoms are still on the air, they've mostly died down, and now even the Disney Channel, which started the whole thing, considers the likes of Phineas and Ferb and Sofia the First as their tentpole shows with Gravity Falls likely following very soon. CN Real bombed though, and that was acknowledged. (I personally found Dude, What Would Happen? as offensive in its very premise, as it was essentially MythBusters without any of the science.)

I suppose it isn't much worse than The Learning Channel making shows like Honey Boo Boo, or the History Channel making reality shows with the tagline, "History made everyday." It would be nice if channels that claim to cater to certain audiences would actually stick to that, but practically every part of the entertainment industry, as a whole, is fascinated with the idea of "broadening their appeal."

Last edited by Greed1914 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
From what I can see, most kids who watched Toonami during then watched one or two shows and watched some of the others out of curiosity. Yu Yu Hakusho worked out because it was a similar fight series like DBZ and had similar progression of strength (though little else). Big O, on the other hand, is more internal in its conflict, and it's thoroughly western-influenced in its visual style, which, if One Piece is any indication, is a turn off to a lot of people into anime.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Making fun of card game shows is much better than trying to tolerate them straight.

Considering how the Duel Master's dub died a slow painful death while the original Japanese version is still going strong to this day and a multi-million dollar franchise, you'd be in the minority audience with that thinking.

Duel Masters was one of the most idiotic dubs I've ever seen. It's one thing to have a bad dub, which pretty much every kids show gets in America, but it's another to have your dub actually insult and make fun of the product it was trying to sell to kids. Why on earth would anyone buy your product if you make it look stupid? Why were they surprised when the franchise failed? Who thought this was a good idea, and did they get fired as a result?

Kaijudo just seemed pointless and doomed to fail from the start. Making your own American-exclusive show and game seemed like a bad idea. You limit the audience to just America and dont take advantage of the huge international market; most importantly Japan where the franchise originated. The show itself didn't even use the cards which seemed like a silly way to market a card game show.

Kaijudo suffered the same way Megas, and Titan, and similar American cartoons suffered. American cartoons can't really do what anime does because of production issues. There was no way Kaijudo was going to last hundreds of episodes like anime can in Japan and sell the cards years down the line. Actual network practices prevent shows from going on that long, which is why American cartoons are so fond of killing a show off then making a new version of the exact same thing right away like with Transformers and superhero shows. Action animation also just seems to do poorly all around in America, and those regulations sure don't help things.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
At least Reboot is easy to find to watch, unlike MegasXLR, which I swear Cartoon Network wants to bury so hard it hurts. Clearly they needed to put all that effort onto those god-awful live action movies and shows they were doing for a while, Megas hasn't even come out on DVD! I think you could buy episodes on the Xbox, but that was about it. Though this show does have a cult following at the very least.

You can also buy Megas XLR on iTunes. Funny story, there was a small thing earlier this year after an interview with the creators of the show on the Toonami Faithful Podcast where on May 1st, marking the 10th Anniversery since its first run on Cartoon Network, people would buy the first episode. Nothing really came out of it, but it was a cool gesture.

Also, as a future reference to anyone else here trying to recall which shows aired on Toonami on Cartoon Network or on Adult Swim and at what year or time the shows aired, there are a couple of ways to check.

1) You can Youtube search for a certain show's name and "toonami promo" and I guarantee you'll find a video featuring the show and when it premiered or came on, most likely narrated by Peter Cullen. For instance, someone else in the thread already mentioned it, but here in this promo, BoBoBo-BoBo-BoBoBo premiered on Saturday, October 1st, not Friday. So you could do that or better yet...

2) Go to Toonamiarsenal.com to check and even download any of those same promos as well as bumpers, TOM Speeches, music videos, intros, game reviews, etc. That website's archive will probably even help you remember certain shows that you at one point forgot or didn't even realize were on Toonami.

Anyway, while this doesn't count on "also-rans", I really, really, really, really, really, really love the fact Toonami went out of their way to provide their Month of Miyazaki event. Some people will say they were exposed to Ghibli films in other ways at an earlier time. But given how I was only what, 11-12 years, when Spirited Away first came to the states and never got to see it, I was lucky that Cartoon Network showed four of Ghibli's films in 2006. And I'm very grateful for that. Although Adult Swim tries something similar with other anime films during December and it's very cool, it's a shame knowing Ghibli films are way out of their reach financially.

Actually, as far as also-rans, I do remember Giant Robot Week making me aware of a couple of the Giant Robot shows with a cult following like Nadescio and Daigunder. I couldn't exactly get into any of them at the time since it was only a one-week thing, but again, I do like how it helped me be a bit aware whenever I hear older folks talk about some of this stuff. Also, not at all anime, but I liked the Star Wars: Clone Wars microseries (a show I would like to see made available elsewhere other than just on dvd) and the two Hellboy animated films, Sword of Storms and Blood and Iron.

Greed1914 wrote:
IGPX does make me sad since it didn't really work out despite it being pretty obvious that the people making it clearly wanted the co-production idea to work and put in the effort. It was really strange that the pilot micro-series was nothing like the show, however. I watched it again when it aired on the current Toonami, and I still liked it, probably even more so now.

From what i can recall, the idea from one of Jason DeMarco's interviews about the show was that they wanted to try a different concept since the idea of giant robots fighting on an open field has been done before (and has still been done since). Again, just from my memory so I might need to double check on that (it might've really been an answer to a question from one of the tumblr Q&As).

Last edited by Hypeathon on Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
Making fun of card game shows is much better than trying to tolerate them straight.

Considering how the Duel Master's dub died a slow painful death while the original Japanese version is still going strong to this day and a multi-million dollar franchise, you'd be in the minority audience with that thinking.

And that just breaks my heart, let me tell you.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I'd love to see a column like this for some of Adult Swim Action's stuff. The folks over at Williams Street really took some chances with that block, and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

You know what, I would love to see that too. Hey Mike any chance for a sequel article for this, but on Adult Swim?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jlaking

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo aired on Saturday not Friday. It was at the time Toonami moved to Saturday nights (7pm-10pm).

Actually Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo's first episode aired on a Friday as a preview and aired again the next day.

Also, Toonami on Saturday nights was 7pm-11pm, not 7pm-10pm.
bobob101

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably the only person in existence who not only really likes Kiba, I even re-watched the at least 3 times. And I NEVER knew there was a card game! Thank you Mike, I now have to go look that up.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad "Zatch Bell!" never took off, but it can't surprise anyone why it didn't. It happened right around the Saturday-only shift.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Great article.

IGPX failed because it sucked. It's the classic analogy, a car can have the best parts, the most expensive styling, but without gas, water, and oil, the thing won't run. And IGPX lacked the gas to run.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
The 2008 farewell was pretty heartbreaking and I cursed Cartoon Network's stupid CEO for being anti-animation, wanting to replace nearly everything with live action garbage (which he thought people actually wanted to watch) and essentially "ruining CN forever". Of course with the big 2012 return, I couldn't have been happier. Now I'm just grateful I have something to look forward to on Saturday night after a long work week.

You do realize in the interim years they were still playing anime on Saturday nights, right? It's almost as if this collective amnesia has descended and everyone forgets that Adult Swim never stopped playing anime. It's like anime can't exist without some stupid name like Toonami.

Toonami was practically dead when they removed it from the weekday lineup for the Saturday night, replace by that weird CG Miguzi block.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8