• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Only Toonami?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
The Cyborg 009 dub completed the entire series (well the 2001 series). Only 8 episodes made it to DVD though from Sony. I believe all 52 were run on Cartoon Network though. I have really fond memories watching it!

Is it possible for someone like Discotek to pick up the show and do a new DVD release?
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:07 am Reply with quote
I have no idea about the series, but audiences and GranRodeo still like "Go For it" (IGPX OP) - heard it live at Animelo Summer Live 2011 and 2013.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:19 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:
A lot of people like the Gash Bell dub, so I'm probably in the minority since I didn't. Seriously, why pick Jimmy Neutron for Gash's voice?

Candi Milo was in an anime?

I think you're getting your little-boy-voice-actresses mixed up; Zatch and Jimmy Neutron were voiced by Debi Derryberry.

(though Candi Milo was, for a fact, in an anime -- she voiced Astro in the 2003 Astro Boy anime).
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quote
I do love s-CRY-ed. I think Kazuma and Ryuho have one of the best and most fun to watch rivalries out of all of anime. I also have fond memories of on of the worst bits of fan-subbing I have ever seen. Even though I saw this at least 10 years ago I still remember the fan-subbers translating "Shell Bullet" to "Sherblit".
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Tenchi Universe was a good fit for Toonami. The OVAs? Not so much since they rarely fit into a 30-minute timeslot without some editing for time
Exactly my point. An OVA is never made for TV broadcast and CN's trying to whittle down that square peg to fit their tight round hole was a complete dog's dinner. Universe on the other hand was made for TV even if it was an alternate universe.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Jokes on you and your revisionist history. Dual Masters did really well with the gag dub, well enough that it was able to get a second season animated just for Cartoon Network. It wasn't until they went with the more faithful Dual Master 2.0 (DM Charge) that the series tanked and was canceled before it could be finished. The gag dub didn't kill the franchise over here, it's what let it standout among all of the other card/monster/robot battle shows coming out at the same time. It was going back to its Japanese roots that killed it over here, if they had done it that way from the start it probably never would have taken off.

If making fun of their product worked for mattress advertising, it can work for card games. And it did. I don't really know why there's so many folks interested in seeing the original JP Duel Masters. It never seemed that outstanding compared to other card game anime out there.

Freyanne wrote:
I wanna say the US release of the manga was cancelled too (it did finish in Japan).

I think the manga was cancelled here because Makoto Raiku left Shogakukan and took the rights to Golden Gash with him. Viz was nearly done with the manga, and they stopped publishing it right around when Raiku sued Shogakukan.

I hope Zoids gets a DVD release at some point. I mean, if Monster Rancher can get an uncut subbed release, anything's possible.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
SahgoDN wrote:
I think you're getting your little-boy-voice-actresses mixed up; Zatch and Jimmy Neutron were voiced by Debi Derryberry.

(though Candi Milo was, for a fact, in an anime -- she voiced Astro in the 2003 Astro Boy anime).

Oh, right--that sounds more correct. I was probably thinking of the post-Tartakovsky Dexter in Dexter's Laboratory.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the good old days. This is what is wrong with Toonami now. Current Toonami is only going off the absolute most popular or most hyped about shows. That's stupid because those shows are ALREADY getting good attention and are being watched or have already been watched by most of the people interested in them. Get some gems that most softcore fans skip over but would love if they knew about them.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Favorite Also-ran (not counting stuff like the various Gundam series like G Gundam ,and Gundam 0080) was Zoids Zero. Absolutely fantastic series with a great cast of characters, and an episode that has a Judge survive having a satellite dropped on him, climbs up to the Dark Judge, then puts the Dark Judge in an Argentine Backbreaker.

I still cant understand why someone like Discotek doesn't try to rescue the franchise. Last time I checked the DVDs go for a lot of money on Amazon, and people still remember the franchise.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
@Kougeru: That's difficult when you're in the business to make money, as what you want is what's gonna up those ratings. That's not stupid; that's common sense. We're not in the anime boom times anymore; I doubt we're gonna see Toonami take any big risks anytime soon.

EDIT: I meant for this to be a reply to Kougeru's post.

Last edited by GVman on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
We got Cartoon Network in our house around the time Toonami made its appearance on the channel, replacing the Action Zone block, when it was just reruns of old 80's cartoons like Thundercats and Voltron and Moltar was the host. Due to what was probably contract disputes we lost all Time Warner networks from our cable provider before Tom was introduced. We wouldn't get CN back until Dragon Ball Z was getting into the Majin Buu arc.

Of all the shows I watched on it the first Dragon Ball series and Cyborg 009 were my favorites. I liked YuYu Hakuso too but it was added later after its initial airing on Adult Swim where I would have preferred it to stay if only because it ran unedited not because it was an "adult" series which it wasn't. My one regret now is not paying any attention to G-Gundam because I'm not sure why I didn't.

I do know that I wrote off IGPX because it was a "racing" show which I don't have much interest in. At the time, in my mind at least, IGPX and Oban Star Racers seemed like the start of an annoying trend where foreigners only wanted to co-produce race car shows with Japanese studios.

I can't say much about the new Toonami since we cut off cable/satellite a few years ago but it's nice to see it continue to exist.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Jokes on you and your revisionist history. Dual Masters did really well with the gag dub, well enough that it was able to get a second season animated just for Cartoon Network. It wasn't until they went with the more faithful Dual Master 2.0 (DM Charge) that the series tanked and was canceled before it could be finished. The gag dub didn't kill the franchise over here, it's what let it standout among all of the other card/monster/robot battle shows coming out at the same time. It was going back to its Japanese roots that killed it over here, if they had done it that way from the start it probably never would have taken off.

That's not how these shows work. The show was cancelled because the card game tanked and was cancelled. Wizards cited abyssal sales for its cancellation a mere two years after it started. There's no reason to dub the anime anymore because the game was dead in America.

So as I said, at least for me, seeing a show make fun of its product didn't encourage me to invest in it, and it looks like no one else was investing in Duel Masters either. The problem with people who like the dub are so many say they like it because it makes fun of card anime. So basically the people who liked it were not the target audience for it to begin with who were into card game anime and trading card games. Or rather, the dub was aimed at the wrong people because they should have attempted to aim it at people who like card game anime, not your typical anime fan who hates card anime so they only watch it for the parody, but will never touch the card game. It was really sabotaging their own product from the get go and a stupid decision.

I would hypothesize the reason they dropped the overly gag dub was an ultimatum attempt to boost sales of the game because they knew sales were bad and maybe a less goofy dub would attract customers since the gag dub wasn't helping. By then it was probably too late and the people who were watching didn't like it and people who never watched it were too far behind to care.

Coincidentally enough, Kaijudo only lasted 2 years as well. I suppose 2 years is the cutoff date for card games not meeting expectation at Wizards of the Coast. As far as card games go, Vanguard is the only game that gets my money because it's the only franchise that gets a proper release in America in both card and anime form. Everything else gets screwed up in one fashion or another.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

I hope Zoids gets a DVD release at some point. I mean, if Monster Rancher can get an uncut subbed release, anything's possible.

Sadly Zoids doesn't have the popularity that Monster Rancher does so I'd say the chances are low. Although it would be nice to get Zoids Genesis since a dub was made with LA cast and I think Viz lost the license. I've been waiting years to watch this show dubbed but it seems it will never happen. Sad

About Mike Toole saying Chaotic Century had clunkier CG, I somewhat agree especially in those early episodes. However it does greatly improve as it goes and for a 1999 show with tons of CG in all 67 episodes I thought it was impressive for the time. I watch high production OVA's that don't use the CG as well as Zoids.
http://s28.postimg.org/n23j33l65/005l.jpg
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Actual network practices prevent shows from going on that long, which is why American cartoons are so fond of killing a show off then making a new version of the exact same thing right away like with Transformers and superhero shows. Action animation also just seems to do poorly all around in America, and those regulations sure don't help things.

That's a strange opinion to hold when Japanese properties regularly go through the same sort of revamps. Even Duel Masters has gone through traditional animation with Shobu to CG stuff with his younger brother. Then there's Yu-Gi-Oh!, Gundam, Battle Spirits and others that start fresh fairly often.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching a few of these shows over Toonami and Adult Swim's action block.

I watched IGPX all the way through again a couple years ago and I feel it was a decent series. I seriously think they wrongfully advertised what the series was about. It was more about a kid growing up who just happened to be a racer than it was a racer with some immaturity issues. It definitely was fun at times, but was it a strong series... nah, but I would say give it a good once through all the way through both seasons. Once both seasons have been watched it makes more sense.

s-CRY-ed is one of those series that I liked initially but as it went on, I started to hate. I rerally started disliking the series approximately half way through it and by the end, I felt like I lost time I will never get back. I could go on with the reasons why the show isn't good, but I think we all have certain Action Block and Toonami shows we can say that about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8