• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alice 19th ( Do you think it should be adapted to an Anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I think that this is one of the best Shoujo Stories I've Read from Yuu Watase( Creator of Fushigi Yuugi),because unlike most of the other female main characters from Watase's other Manga/Anime series's like Miaka Yuki from Fushigi yuugi,you just can't help feel sorry for Alice Seno throughout most of the entire Manga series(especially in the early volumes) when she is too shy to tell her feelings for Kyo Wakamiya and constantly being shunned and shallowed by her older sister Mayura.

Too bad this never had an anime adaption which would have been awsome. Confused what do you guys think?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
Oh, you have a Yu Watase fan here and Alice is in my top 5 favorite manga. This would make a terrific series. I'm not sure if it should be 13 or 24 episodes. 13 probably since it's not a long series and a lot happens very quickly time wise. It would be very interesting to watch Alice and Kyo grow and change.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote
Out of the Yuu Watase series yet to be animated, Alice 19th is I'd like to see animated most. After Ceres and Fushigi Yuugi (original and Genbu Kaiden), Alice 19th has the best story and characters or at least out of the ones that have been brought stateside. Its unlikely to ever happen, but its not impossible and other series have taken longer to be animated.

If it was animated, I would hope they would go for 24 episodes. That's probably more than necessary just for what was in the manga, but I wouldn't mind some filler or some background on a few of the characters that didn't get much attention in the manga. And I'd rather it have some filler episodes than have material removed and/or have it rushed.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I was really surprised that Alice 19th was never picked up as an anime also. I think some animators could work with Alice 19th the same magic they worked with Full Moon o Sagashite. They'd probably add lots of fun episodes,more fully flesh out all the side stories, and personalize the other characters even more. Alice 19th had a lot of fun characters that I would have enjoyed reading more about.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm also one of the fans Alice 19th and a bit surprised that this manga has never been chosen to be an anime series. The characters are quite interesting, there are a lot of good messages in this manga too and the story is not bad at all. (Anyways, it's in my top favourites Wink ).
It seems to me that it's very unlikely to see some anime based on this manga, but, hey, hope dies the last so who knows? I wouldn't care how many episodes would be (ok, not too many Wink ), but I would have to agree with HitokiriShadow:
Quote:
That's probably more than necessary just for what was in the manga, but I wouldn't mind some filler or some background on a few of the characters that didn't get much attention in the manga

There were some really interesting characters that would need some more attention and I think their story would have been really interesting to say. Even more, I would like to know more about the main characters as well, for I had the feeling at some point that there were some aspects which were rushed.
But I'm wondering: had this manga some success? This is something I don't know. How was it received in general? Perhaps this might be the reason for which there were no anime based on it. Many people I know didn't even hear about this manga. Shocked
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I have always thought that Alice 19th would make a wonderful 13 episode anime, obviously some things would have to be cut out but I really can't see it needing more than that, with only 7 volumes of manga. I'm still holding out hope that maybe they will animate it, though it's been out for awhile now.

At very least, I expect we'll see an anime of Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden eventually, which I think is just as good, if not better, than Alice is.

I'd also love to see Imadoki! animated too, for that matter. We need more Watase anime.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
The only Watase manga I've ever read are Fushigi Yugi, Absolute Boyfriend, and Alice 19th. Out of all of them, Alice 19th was the only one I liked-in fact, it is one of my favorites! I'd love to see this animated! I wonder who would be the director, animation company, actors, etc. I personally think Ayako Kawasumi would make an awesome Alice, and Tomokazu Seki would be really good as Frey!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:05 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I have always thought that Alice 19th would make a wonderful 13 episode anime, obviously some things would have to be cut out but I really can't see it needing more than that, with only 7 volumes of manga. I'm still holding out hope that maybe they will animate it, though it's been out for awhile now.

It's been a while since I read Alice 19th, but I'm thinking each volume could easily make 3-4 episodes of anime.
perkyrainbow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
I enjoy reading Alice 19th as well. My favorite name in the whole world is Alice-- it's my nickname-- so when I first saw Alice 19th I knew I would enjoy it-- and it was done by Yuu Watase. I really want to watch a Alice 19th Anime!!!! Smile

Ironcially though I'm not enjoying Absolute Boyfriend right now. I'm finding the Riiku + Night + Soshi triangle annoying.

Has anyone noticed that everyone of her stories has a love triangle?
Miaka + Tamahome + Hotohori
Aya + Yuuhi + Tooya
Alice + Frey + Kyo (LOVE the name Kyo-- it's the name of my love Kyo Sohma. Anime smallmouth)

And how all the males that end up with the main girl character all look the same! Tamahome + Kyo + Tooya ect.

As for liking the main characters-- well I didn't' like Miaka. Alice is awesome! Takiko is awesome too! Aya is cool too! At first I didn't like Tooya, but I'm now glad he ended up with Aya. Although I liked Yuuhi too! Didn't really like Tamahome. I can't stand Night! I find him the most annoying character ever!

Order of how I enjoyed her stories:
Ayashi No Ceres
Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden
Alice 19th
Fushigi Yuugi
Absolute Boyfriend

Well I'll stop blabbing about Yuu Watase's work. This thread was about Alice 19th anime-- not jabbering. ^^" Sorry-- couldn't control my mouth!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
Love triangles are just part of the territory. Most shoujo manga have love triangles (and often larger polygons) and most shonen romance will have a love triangle at the absolute minimum.

Quote:
And how all the males that end up with the main girl character all look the same! Tamahome + Kyo + Tooya ect.

Actually, Yuu Watase is infamous for this, and it is one of the biggest complaints from detractors. I call it "Tamahome Syndrome" (even though she had a manga [or several] before that which probably had the same character design). Heck, I think even a large chunk (I'm hesitant to say a majority) of her fans can agree that she needs to come up with a new character design for her lead males.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Love triangles are just part of the territory. Most shoujo manga have love triangles (and often larger polygons) and most shonen romance will have a love triangle at the absolute minimum.

Quote:

Actually, Yuu Watase is infamous for this, and it is one of the biggest complaints from detractors. I call it "Tamahome Syndrome" (even though she had a manga [or several] before that which probably had the same character design). Heck, I think even a large chunk (I'm hesitant to say a majority) of her fans can agree that she needs to come up with a new character design for her lead males.

Yeah, but at least you can usually guess who the herioine is going to end up with! Very Happy Wink

hanachan01 wrote
Quote:
Tomokazu Seki would be really good as Frey!

Nice choice!
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:16 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

It's been a while since I read Alice 19th, but I'm thinking each volume could easily make 3-4 episodes of anime.

They could be, that's how it happened with Fushigi Yuugi after all, but I don't think it would have to be a 26-episoder to do a good job telling the story, a 13-episode series could do that too.

As for the "Tamahome" syndrome, it's not too bad, if you look at the girls you notice that they all look fairly similar too, with different hair (Mayura and Aya for example look quite similar). The only really bad one I've found is Koki in Imadoki! and Kyou in Alice, who look basically identical.

And most of the Genbu Kaiden characters are pretty distinctive looking so far.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-manga.php?top50=popular

Lookie there. Those are the top 50 manga titles but almost all of them have an anime associated with them except Alice 19th. Not fair! *pouts*

On top of having a Tamahome look-a-like, she also tends to have a Tasuki look-a-like character too. She's shown she drawn plenty of good looking men but I guess it's just her choice to use that design almost every time. I love how her characters are always so loyal in love. Maybe that's why Absolute Boyfriend is driving some people crazy. Smile But it's to the point that her fan base would go into shock if the leading man was anybody but Tamahome. Smile
hanachan01

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
It would be pretty interesting of her female lead looked like a female version Tamahome, and the male lead looked like a male version of Miaka.....
perkyrainbow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
hanachan01 wrote:
It would be pretty interesting of her female lead looked like a female version Tamahome, and the male lead looked like a male version of Miaka.....

That would be so cool! I wanna see that! Anime exclamation
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3