• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Film critics, animation, and anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't put any stock at all in film critics or read any reviews for two simple reasons. First, because no review will be true for everyone due to the reviewer's varied experience, tastes, and biases. Second, no reviewer can accurately judge a film based on my personal taste better than me because they're not me.

I use the blank slate approach, personally. All I want to know about something before I watch it is what the general story will be about and maybe I'll watch a trailer. Part of the magic of films, books, anime, etc. is the experience of discovering them on your own and forming your own unique opinion. Reviews spoil that aspect for me. If I read a review I'm going to be analyzing the movie for flaws when I watch it instead of just having a good time like I want to do.
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
@JoseCruz Eh, much of what you said is down to personal preference. That, and a lot of what you said is erroneous.

For one, the majority of people in Brazil are of European descent, much like the US, with the majority of people having Portuguese roots and much of Brazil's culture is similar to that of Portugal, albeit with some differences, as well as hints of German and Italian culture. Secondly, Brazil is technically in the west, so if it's not a western country, I don't know what is. I'm of Portuguese background myself, so I kinda know what I'm talking about when it come to Portuguese matters and Brazil is certainly not devoid of that. It couldn't be, considering it retains virtually everything that Portugal's colonization. That and all Brazilians are united by one sole language. Portuguese, I.E a European language. Most of the western influence in Japan is there for superficial reasons. That is certainly not the case in Brazil.

Two, stop stating your opinions like its fact. You make generalizations about cultures and the quality and production efforts of entire outputs of work. Unfortunately, that's not how things work, given the variety of many American and Japanese works.

Three, stop using the "more is better" or "popular" argument. One, 90% of everything is bad, so by your logic, most anime sucks and therefore, there is more bad anime than US media. Two, anime isn't even more popular than US animation and not by a long shot. American animation is far more popular monetary wise on a nominal and per capita measurement.

Four, Miyazaki's skewered and egoistical opinions mean nothing. If you only like your own stuff, then that tells me your opinion means nothing. Oh, BTW, did I mention that Miyazaki absolutely LOVES Pixar? That only shows Miyazaki's rampant hypocrisy, considering that Pixar movies aren't doing anything Disney movies aren't. That and he loves Bugs Bunny, which IMO is more ENTERTAINING and fun than a lot of anime and in my mind, that's all that matters. Personal enjoyment of something.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Rick and Morty, a quite decent shounen light comedy show that I watched said about anime fans: "people in the internet that are only turned on by cartoons about Japanese teenagers").
Oh yeah, nothing says "light comedy" like vomit and anal insertion gags. Sooo much classier than those cartoons about Japanese teenagers.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
@Zalis116,
I still liked Rick and Morty. Though not as much as my favorite anime comedies: Detroit Metal City (which is much more aggressive than any western comedy) and K-On!! (second season, truly brilliant some concentrated moe comedy).

GalicianNightmare wrote:
@JoseCruz Eh, much of what you said is down to personal preference. That, and a lot of what you said is erroneous.

For one, the majority of people in Brazil are of European descent, much like the US, with the majority of people having Portuguese roots and much of Brazil's culture is similar to that of Portugal, albeit with some differences, as well as hints of German and Italian culture. Secondly, Brazil is technically in the west, so if it's not a western country, I don't know what is. I'm of Portuguese background myself, so I kinda know what I'm talking about when it come to Portuguese matters and Brazil is certainly not devoid of that. It couldn't be, considering it retains virtually everything that Portugal's colonization. That and all Brazilians are united by one sole language. Portuguese, I.E a European language. Most of the western influence in Japan is there for superficial reasons. That is certainly not the case in Brazil.

Western influence over Japan is enormous. Miyazaki said that the main reason anime is popular in Europe is just because of European influence over Japan. Modern Japan is a industrialized civilization that mixes European technology, institutions and cultural influences (music, literature, etc) with Japanese aboriginal roots. Japan is a mix between a millennial culture and modern western culture.

According to my professors when we discussed Brazilian economic history is that Brazil is a civilization that developed locally and not a European offshoot. Brazilian culture, while influenced by European culture, is rather distinct and the country wasn't originally a colony for European settlement, unlike the US, it was made to just extract resources to send them to Europe. The civilization that grew in Brazil grew spontaneously. The US, for comparison, is a country much more European than Brazil, founded by groups of European settlers. I asked my professor if we couldn't consider the US another self developed civilization like Brazil and he said: nah, that's just another European country. True, the US's European heritage is much greater than Brazil, and I lived in both countries, US is basically an European country without the old churches.

Quote:
Three, stop using the "more is better" or "popular" argument. One, 90% of everything is bad, so by your logic, most anime sucks and therefore, there is more bad anime than US media.

No, most anime doesn't suck. Most of it is mediocre. And yes, there is more bad anime than US animation because there is like 10 times more anime so there is more everything. Though in terms of masterpieces I never watched a western cartoon as good as RahXephon or Haibane Renmei.

Quote:
Two, anime isn't even more popular than US animation and not by a long shot. American animation is far more popular monetary wise on a nominal and per capita measurement.

Where? In Brazil in the late 1990's and early 2000's anime's influence over the kids at the school I attended was certainly greater than US's cartoons.

Monetary wise I am not sure. While some US movies had huge grosses there are very few of them.

Quote:
Four, Miyazaki's skewered and egoistical opinions mean nothing. If you only like your own stuff, then that tells me your opinion means nothing. Oh, BTW, did I mention that Miyazaki absolutely LOVES Pixar? That only shows Miyazaki's rampant hypocrisy, considering that Pixar movies aren't doing anything Disney movies aren't. That and he loves Bugs Bunny, which IMO is more ENTERTAINING and fun than a lot of anime and in my mind, that's all that matters. Personal enjoyment of something.

It's obvious to me that Pixar's films are completely different from Disney's. The Miyazaki influence on Pixar is perhaps greater than Miyazaki's influence on the rest of the anime industry as well, as well as greater than Disney's influence over Pixar. Bugs Bunny is better than Mars of Destruction but not much else I think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Honestly, I don't put any stock at all in film critics or read any reviews for two simple reasons. First, because no review will be true for everyone due to the reviewer's varied experience, tastes, and biases. Second, no reviewer can accurately judge a film based on my personal taste better than me because they're not me.

I use the blank slate approach, personally. All I want to know about something before I watch it is what the general story will be about and maybe I'll watch a trailer. Part of the magic of films, books, anime, etc. is the experience of discovering them on your own and forming your own unique opinion. Reviews spoil that aspect for me. If I read a review I'm going to be analyzing the movie for flaws when I watch it instead of just having a good time like I want to do.

I am much the same myself. I prefer to read a brief synopsis rather than an actual review before starting a show. Whether or not I agree with a review if I read one before starting a show it will influence my experience. I'll be looking for the specific points the review discusses and analyze them to see if I feel the same or not. That takes away from the whole experience for me. I prefer to go into a show without any sort of preformed opinion to distort my viewing experience. I know my tastes and shows I like. So generally a synopsis is enough for me to tell me if a show is worth trying out or not. Rather than an actual review what helps me is when a show is compared to another. As in "if you liked this you might like this" based on similar story and character elements. Between that and a synopsis I can 90% of the time weed out shows that I doubt I'd have interest in. And vice versa.

Now the one exception is if I am struggling to finish the show. Every so often a show will just not grab my attention. In those few circumstances I might read a review or two to see if it's worth seeing through to the end. I am a pretty hard core completionist though so it's very rare I find myself struggling to actually finish a show. Even if it sucks dragonballs I still finish them most times just to say I did.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
@ Psycho 101, I also feel like a need to finish the stuff I begin watching and reading. For example there was a book that I read half in 2008 and then I decided to finish the other half over the past 2 days. Very Happy

I usually pick stuff to read and watch if they are in favorites lists without reading anything about them. For instance, I watched RahXephon a couple of months after watching Madoka because I saw it on dtm's list of shows rated masterpiece. I watched Madoka because it was on the list of stuff which won the grand prize in animation in Japan's media's arts festival. I didn't know anything about these two titles before I started watching them. Sometimes I watch stuff based on the show's poster on crunchyroll as well. Good posters actually reflect well the aesthetic nature of the show under consideration.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I want to hasten to add that I'm not talking about different cultural mores, here - I'm talking about differing story-telling traditions, for instance. To give a specific example, I remember Justin Sevakis saying during a podcast (I think) that Asian audiences tend to be a little bit more tolerant of stories that start in the middle where things are confusing and mysterious. They may not understand what's going on, but they tend to be more willing to be patient and assume things will become clearer later on.

I find that an interesting viewpoint because it seems the opposite to me. Very rarely does western animation have beginnings to their stories. It seems like most cartoons start in the middle and if they ever do so, they'll cover the beginning and origins at a later date. Shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, and other stuff on Cartoon Network. I remember when I saw Code Lyoko they only covered how the kids met towards the end of the series, and the entire first season expected people to know what was going on.

Jose Cruz wrote:
Also, in Japan film critics also don't pay much attention to animation as well. In the Kinema Jumpo top 10 of the year lists anime films rarely show up, in 1988 Akira didn't, in 1995, GitS didn't, none of Oshii's or Kon's films did, excluding some famous ones. Though there are animation critics in Japan who specialize in animation, so I guess film critics tend to specialize in live action.

Aren't Akira and GITS popular in the west because they're often cited as being gateway anime movies to people? How popular were they in Japan to begin with? They could be like Voltron where only American viewers care about them because it was what introduced them to anime, but in Japan Voltron/Golion was just a random mecha show so they don't have any special attatchment to it compared to older classics like Mobile Suit Gundam, Tetsujin, and Mazinger.

Quote:
Where? In Brazil in the late 1990's and early 2000's anime's influence over the kids at the school I attended was certainly greater than US's cartoons.

Monetary wise I am not sure. While some US movies had huge grosses there are very few of them.

I too would like to see if GalicianNightmare has a source for their claim. When I think of the most successful animated franchises, I think of anime like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, and the recent Youkai Watch. I'm trying to think of an American animated cartoon as popular as those. Spongebob, maybe? But that's just one show compared to Japan's dozens of huge franchises. Action cartoons and toy sales in general seem to be down very low in America recently. Korra had no merchandise and was dumped onto the internet due to failing ratings and that was the last real action cartoon out of the US.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
Also, in Japan film critics also don't pay much attention to animation as well. In the Kinema Jumpo top 10 of the year lists anime films rarely show up, in 1988 Akira didn't, in 1995, GitS didn't, none of Oshii's or Kon's films did, excluding some famous ones. Though there are animation critics in Japan who specialize in animation, so I guess film critics tend to specialize in live action.

Aren't Akira and GITS popular in the west because they're often cited as being gateway anime movies to people? How popular were they in Japan to begin with? They could be like Voltron where only American viewers care about them because it was what introduced them to anime, but in Japan Voltron/Golion was just a random mecha show so they don't have any special attatchment to it compared to older classics like Mobile Suit Gundam, Tetsujin, and Mazinger.

Akira is extremely well regarded among Japanese animators and anime critics:

http://letterboxd.com/sharkbait/list/kinema-junpos-top-ten-anime-films/

Ranking in the top 5 in this poll among animation critics.

GitS is also very well regarded considered among the top films Oshii directed. Oshii's other films also didn't show up in the top 10's of the year by Kinema Junpo, even though Miyazaki's works showed up all the time.

Japanese film critics like more traditional films. Anime films that show up in the top 15 of the year in Kinema Jumpo include: The Girl Who Leap Through Time, Summer Days with Coo, Whisper of the Heart, Miyazaki and Takahata's films. Relatively famous dudes like Kon, Oshii, Otomo, Shinkai and others never showed up on these lists.

Quote:
Quote:

I too would like to see if GalicianNightmare has a source for their claim. When I think of the most successful animated franchises, I think of anime like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, and the recent Youkai Watch. I'm trying to think of an American animated cartoon as popular as those. Spongebob, maybe? But that's just one show compared to Japan's dozens of huge franchises. Action cartoons and toy sales in general seem to be down very low in America recently. Korra had no merchandise and was dumped onto the internet due to failing ratings and that was the last real action cartoon out of the US.

Though if you think on money terms the US animation industry is not that smaller. Japan produces approximately 6 times more minutes of animation by my estimation but an episode of an america cartoon show costs on average 4 times more so in money terms it might be on the same general size.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
@gloverrandal GITS is fairly popular in Japan. Stand Alone Complex sold 16k on average per volume and 2nd GIG sold about 18k on average per volume. The manga also sold fairly well, but the anime is easily more popular in the US, with 1 million copies of the 1st movie being sold on DVD+VHS, whilst both series sold 100k on average per volume.

Akira's known, but not too huge in Japan. The BD sold 10k+ on release.

As for monetary success, I believe Gundam is the biggest original animated franchise in Japan, but Simpsons has made more money despite being 8 years younger.

As for @Jose, Brazil has a European language as its sole official language, whilst the US actually has none. And whilst the US is more "white" than Brazil, according to Wikipedia, Brazil is based upon European/Portuguese culture, so your professor is wrong.

Quote:
The core culture of Brazil is derived from Portuguese culture, because of its strong colonial ties with the Portuguese empire. Among other influences, the Portuguese introduced the Portuguese language, Roman Catholicism and colonial architectural styles. The culture was, however, also strongly influenced by African, indigenous and non-Portuguese European cultures and traditions.

Oh and because I am a Portuguese citizen, certain rights are bestowed upon me should I choose to reside in Portugal.

Quote:
According to the Constitution of Brazil, the Portuguese people have a special status in Brazil. Article 12, first paragraph of the Constitution, grants to citizens of Portugal with permanent residence in Brazil "the rights attached to Brazilians", excluded from the constitutional prerogatives of Brazilian born. Requirements for the granting of equality are: habitual residence (permanent), the age of majority and formulation of request from the Minister of Justice.

In Brazil, the Portuguese may require equal treatment with regard to civil rights; moreover, they may ask to be granted political rights granted to Brazilians (except the rights exclusive to the Brazilian born). In the latter case, this requires a minimum of three years of permanent residence.

Also, the US is mixed in its European culture, whilst Brazil is more focused on Portuguese, Italian and German culture, making Brazil more defined. All countries that were colonies still retain their colonialist roots with there being no exception.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
As for @Jose, Brazil has a European language as its sole official language, whilst the US actually has none. And whilst the US is more "white" than Brazil, according to Wikipedia, Brazil is based upon European/Portuguese culture, so your professor is wrong.

US is much more European than Brazil is, I have lived in both countries. Of course, European influence in Brazil is very large but overall I would think that we are a native grown civilization that grew from mix of native Brazilian, African and European influences, with European influences being the greatest.

The US, on the other hand, is not a civilization that grew spontaneously. It was a civilization implanted upon the land as a colony of settlement. Brazil was never developed as such by Portugal, who was only interested in exploiting the natural resources of the land.

Quote:
Oh and because I am a Portuguese citizen, certain rights are bestowed upon me should I choose to reside in Portugal.

You mean in Brazil? That shows Brazil's role as a "submissive extraction colony" of Portugal, not as a colony like the US that was first developed without the role of being a submissive source of natural resources. Doesn't mean that the country is more European, in fact, it means it is less, because it's a submissive natural resource extraction colony.

Quote:
Also, the US is mixed in its European culture, whilst Brazil is more focused on Portuguese, Italian and German culture, making Brazil more defined.

Since there were fewer European immigrants to Brasil the range of influences was smaller, hence fewer countries with more "defined" influence. German influence is also very small in Brazil, less than 2% of Brazil's population claim German descent. The strongest European influence in Brazil is perhaps the Italian influence, who came here rather recently, preserving their native European culture to a greater extent than the couple hundred thousand Portuguese who came here centuries ago, and the Italians came in very large numbers, hence forming an important fraction of Brazil's population, at around 13% of it. Most white Brazilians are of Italian descent, though there are many more mixed Brazilians with Portuguese descend who regard themselves as whites, even though they wouldn't be regarded as such in Europe or the US.

Quote:
All countries that were colonies still retain their colonialist roots with there being no exception.

Korea was a Japanese colony. It still retain their colonialist Japanese roots? Laughing

Brazil certainly retains significant Portuguese influences, but, it evolved into something very different. Brazil now is almost like a civilization state like China.
Night fox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
But myself being a huge fan of American science fiction would say that there are about 7 great works of science fiction in US media made since 1984:
1 - Babylon 5 (1995-1998)
2 - Terminator (1984)
3 - Aliens (1986)
4 - The Matrix (1999)
5 - Battlestar Galactica (2003-2010)
6 - A.I. (2001).
7 - Back to the Future (1985)
The rest is pretty much on a lower level (including all Star Trek series and movies released since 1984, all Star Wars stuff, all those mediocre movies including the sequels of Terminator, Matrix, Mad Max 3, Robocop, X-Files, Firefly, those superhero films (which might be classified as sci fi like Iron Man) etc, all second rate stuff not comparable to the greats I mentioned above). A TV series like Psycho Pass, which I regard as third rate anime, is better than anything else I have seem from the US made since 1984 except those 7 titles. Notice that only four are from 1987 onwards.

I must say that you are quite picky when it comes to sci-fi movies. Other memorable titles from the past thirty years include:

8 - Dune (1984)
9 - The Abyss (1989)
10 - Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
11 - Jurassic Park (1993)
12 - 12 Monkeys (1995)
13 - Contact (1997)
14 - Face/Off (1997)
15 - The Truman Show (1998)
16 - Minority Report (2002)
17 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
18 - Sunshine (2007)
19 - Avatar (2009)
20 - Moon (2009)
21 - Inception (2010)
22 - Interstellar (2014)

~Edited~Notice that only four titles predate 1995. However, if we merge the two lists, we get a more balanced result: 1984-1993 include seven titles, 1994-2003 include eight titles, and 2004-2014 include seven titles. You may of course disagree with me, that these films are worthy of the rating "great", but this is my two cents on the matter. The early 80's produced some epic sci-fi works, but the genre is still going strong, even outside of anime. I'm kinda hoping that the current superhero boom will collapse under its own weight, then flare up in a supernova explosion, which in turn will give birth to more traditional sci-fi works.[/b]

Last edited by Night fox on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

Now the one exception is if I am struggling to finish the show. Every so often a show will just not grab my attention. In those few circumstances I might read a review or two to see if it's worth seeing through to the end. I am a pretty hard core completionist though so it's very rare I find myself struggling to actually finish a show. Even if it sucks dragonballs I still finish them most times just to say I did.

I used to force myself to finish everything, but then I realized when I do that watching a show becomes a chore instead of fun and I just end up hating it anyway, so it's better to just drop it if I'm not hooked and move on to the next anime. So many anime to watch, so little time.
RogerLP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

Korea was a Japanese colony. It still retain their colonialist Japanese roots?

The relationship between Korea and Japan is a very interesting one. I lived and worked in Korea from 1983 to 1989. No, I was not military. I was setting up an office for the financial services firm that I worked for. I got to talk with many Koreans who had lived under the Japanese colonial rule (1910 to 1945). However, the hatred of the Koreans for the Japanese goes back to the 1600s when Japanese armies started marching up and down the Korean peninsula with regularity. Apparently over half of Korea's National Treasures are still located in Japan.

During my time in Korea I made several trips to Tokyo. I immediately noticed the similarities in the infrastructure. Roads, drainage, utilities, sidewalks, etc. were to my untrained eye almost identical.

After WWII, the Koreans adopted almost all of the good points of the physical part of Japan. Japanese culture which had dominated Korea during the colonial period rapidly disappeared. The Korean culture reemerged with little change. This is not to say that some parts of Japan did not become part of Korea. Koreans love Japanese food. However, just because you eat pizza does not mean you are influenced by Italy.

Korean anime and manga were obviously copied from Japan. However, if you read manhwa you will see a distinct cultural difference versus manga.

The point of all of the above is to point out that being a colony does not necessarily result in the colonial power having a major influence or even a minor influence on the culture of its colony(ies). Each country develops its culture based on many factors one of which can be the fact that it was a colony.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2