• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Durarara!! AoA LE Blu-ray: Worth the Money?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Is the set really worth owning? On release I heard that there were a bunch of problems with subtitles and whatnot, and was curious to get another opinion since I was considering picking it up as a part of the rightstuf sale if it was still available when I finally submit my order.

Any thoughts on the show or the set itself? Is it worth the $130 asking price?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
It depends on how much you like the show. I own the DVDs and considered seriously double-dipping on the BDs. I thought the price was reasonable for Aniplex and what you were getting (don't get me started on my GoS set it was a joke to call that a LE). If I recall what made me shy away was that there was no sub translations for signs or other text, which was lazy and kind of peed me off. I'm also not a giant fan of lunch boxes. So, I went from really excited to "eh, I'll think about it," and never got around to making a decision.

If I recall correctly I think it was the UK version that had serious problems with English subtitles in the Japanese audio (I think they had to recall and redo them?), I'm not sure the US version had such problems. $20 off isn't much for the set, but even with the issues and price, I'm still tempted to double dip. If I didn't already own the DVDs I would definitely snatch it up, but I like the show a lot and like I said its reasonable pricing for AoA. YMMV.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
Only if you can get all the Dollars together. Razz

I'm sorry I don't know where my head was at on that one...
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I've confirmed with RightStuf that it's the last of their inventory on this set and they are not expecting a restock. So if you want it, now is the time before it's gone.

And it's gone.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
130$ is VERY cheap for an aniplex blu-ray title
if you want it better get it soon

oreimo cost 250$-300ish
gurren lagran was 500$
and kill la kill will be over 250$ if you collect them all
you can find them used cheaper just don't count on 'when'

I personally did not like DRRR so I would never buy it.
the emo pessimism makes me want to slap it.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I was only marginally interested in it, but now that it's gone I guess I'll just have to do without.

I wonder if a different version will ever go back in print though - I know that when the ROD Complete BD Box and Garden of Sinners went out of print they have stayed so for quite a while. What's up with that?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
Seems Aniplex's Limited Editions are actually limited, I guess.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:07 am Reply with quote
I placed an order with TRSI yesterday taking advantage of the Christmas sale and prompted because Durarara!! was down to 7 copies. By the time I finished placing the order, it was sold out which made me wonder if I had logged my order in time. Right now my order with TRSI is showing the set as "Reserved for Your Order" so I am cautiously optimistic that I got under the wire.

Ironically, every other item on my list which was entirely made up of In Stock items is listed as "Order has been received."
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
I was only marginally interested in it, but now that it's gone I guess I'll just have to do without.

I wonder if a different version will ever go back in print though - I know that when the ROD Complete BD Box and Garden of Sinners went out of print they have stayed so for quite a while. What's up with that?
Well since you asked here's my ruminations on the issue.

I think DRRR!! could come back, just not cheaper and not anytime soon. There's a new season starting this January and I think they are planning another in 2015. After that's done I could see AoA releasing a massive complete Limited Edition set including the first season along the lines of Gurren Laggan and yea that would probably come with a $500-600 price tag. So, if it does comeback it will be a decent wait to get that first season at a pretty penny. But there's no guarantee that will happen and they may only just put it up for streaming and when the second season sets sell out put those up for streaming too, which leads to the following show ROD.

ROD is a little different, but also probably shows what some of AoA plans are. Pre-order if I recall was $180 and then it was on RightStuf for awhile at about $150. It took 2 xmas sales discounted at $100 to finally sell it out. It was too expensive for too old of a show and OVA and its not going to get any less old going forward. I think that its not worth their cost to print up more cheaper copies to sell. Remember, they aren't interested in cheaper as that's contrary to the modus operandi they've created. I think part of their plan going forward is to build a streaming catalogue like other companies and that's where you will find ROD and AoA will tell people just to watch it streaming. I think Justin in one of his Answerman columns said that streaming is now starting to pay off for companies, so why reprint a title and have all the costs for that and warehousing it? I haven't seen the OVA streaming anywhere though, so I wonder what's up with that.

I think GoS is both more niche and exclusive. I would hope that they would at least take a Fate/Zero approach and drop a NA LE Bluray at about the same price point. But I think its more niche in the west (its not an attack on titan) and they want to protect the home market from reverse imports. I think they are only on the second (newer) BD release in Japan and they've been careful not to jeopardize that. People tend to gravitate to what's hot and new. Being kind of niche is the same as being a bit old (like ROD) and if enough time goes by it may not be worth it to print up new copies to sell.

Bottom line, unless AoA changes their business practices and sees value in re-releasing a title (maybe streaming numbers make an old show new again?) then you should get a show while you can because once its sold out it may very well indeed not be coming back. And that's purposeful on their part because they want to put pressure on fans to buy. I'm not happy with it, nor with the prices but I've resigned myself that some titles I really like I will never own and that's how it is.
traveling

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I snagged it last night, along with Bakemonogatari because I was afraid to miss out on that. Now, I'm wondering should have waited a little bit later for Bake's price to drop, but I definitely wanted to own it.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
Gut feeling on Bake is it's selling well enough to not warrant a price drop. I wouldn't be surprised if that one never sees one. I vaguely recall AoA saying that the DRRR DVDs didn't sell like what they thought they would, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was still the case for the blu-rays.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think GoS is both more niche and exclusive. I would hope that they would at least take a Fate/Zero approach and drop a NA LE Bluray at about the same price point. But I think its more niche in the west (its not an attack on titan) and they want to protect the home market from reverse imports. I think they are only on the second (newer) BD release in Japan and they've been careful not to jeopardize that. People tend to gravitate to what's hot and new. Being kind of niche is the same as being a bit old (like ROD) and if enough time goes by it may not be worth it to print up new copies to sell.

Some other factors you may have not considered is that Garden of Sinners still has an unreleased movie which may prompt them to put out another set of some kind. Also, I thought it was one of their top sellers, that Blu-ray box (which I have) sold out just in pre-orders. Though maybe that was due to low supply and an unforeseen demand.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I just want them to drop the price on Madoka TV bluerays for the xmas sale a little bit. $120 for barebones is just too much of a bitter pill for me to swallow. At least give me one of your thin crappy artboxes aniplex. Mad

BTW, last time I checked DRRR!! came back in stock with 5 copies left, so if you really want it you still have an opportunity to get it. This also means that Blood- will probably get his copy so he can rest easy.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
With Madoka Magica, I just want that 3rd movie on DVD with a dub like the other two films, because I have the series and that's the only movie worth buying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2