• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Durarara!! AoA LE Blu-ray: Worth the Money?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
This also means that Blood- will probably get his copy so he can rest easy.

Yes, I had already ascertained that I, in fact, do have a copy. Should ship out soon.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Some other factors you may have not considered is that Garden of Sinners still has an unreleased movie which may prompt them to put out another set of some kind. Also, I thought it was one of their top sellers, that Blu-ray box (which I have) sold out just in pre-orders. Though maybe that was due to low supply and an unforeseen demand.

Possibly, but they could always release the movie separately and not in a combined package? Are people like yourself after paying--was it $400?-- for the BD going to double dip to get another complete set for the extra movie? I'm sure some would, but I think they'd probably sell more units selling it separately. Also the BD-box did sell out like in a single day (or was it hours? I forget), but I was under the impression it was a very limited run. I don't think it was like the Amazon Cowboy Bebop LE of 10k units. It still feels niche. Also again they seem zealous (imho) in wanting to protect the home market from reverse-imports of GoS. Furthermore, I think there's a window of opportunity for such a possible re-release. The more time goes by the more diminished likelihood of a re-release (then its both niche and old). They may still surprise me, but at this point I no longer hold my breath that they will re-release something, they want after all as many people paying their prices the first time around. So, get it while you can if you can afford it or it doesn't piss you off too much I say.

Kruszer wrote:
With Madoka Magica, I just want that 3rd movie on DVD with a dub like the other two films, because I have the series and that's the only movie worth buying.

I'm actually kind of conflicted on owning the 3rd movie. I haven't seen it, because I enjoyed the show and how it ended. It was enough for me, I'm not sure I really wanted them to revisit it. I'll have to think about it some more.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
@One-Eye
The GoS Blu-ray box didn't sell out that fast. It was up for pre order for a couple of weeks before it sold out. It did sell out before it shipped though.

Actually that was not a North American release. Apparently the Japanese Blu-ray box already had English subtitles. AoA had a small booklet printed up to cover the text portion of the associated art book and added it to a number of imported Japanese sets. It was only sold through Right Stuf and I don't think they ever said how many copies were available. Certainly not even close to 10,000 units.
traveling

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
BTW, you can still import the cheaper Blu-Ray box of GOS that Aniplex released last year. I haven't bought it, but it's the first seven movies for under $300.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Possibly, but they could always release the movie separately and not in a combined package? Are people like yourself after paying--was it $400?-- for the BD going to double dip to get another complete set for the extra movie? I'm sure some would, but I think they'd probably sell more units selling it separately. Also the BD-box did sell out like in a single day (or was it hours? I forget), but I was under the impression it was a very limited run. I don't think it was like the Amazon Cowboy Bebop LE of 10k units. It still feels niche. Also again they seem zealous (imho) in wanting to protect the home market from reverse-imports of GoS. Furthermore, I think there's a window of opportunity for such a possible re-release. The more time goes by the more diminished likelihood of a re-release (then its both niche and old). They may still surprise me, but at this point I no longer hold my breath that they will re-release something, they want after all as many people paying their prices the first time around. So, get it while you can if you can afford it or it doesn't piss you off too much I say.

I would prefer they release it separately if they ever release it at all here, although I'd buy another set if I had to, in order to get it. The Japanese BD for Mirai Fukuin has been released some time ago, but isn't worth importing because, unlike the previous films, there are no English subtitles on it. It's sad really, I would have totally bought it in a heartbeat. Not a very smart move, Aniplex. Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
I'm actually kind of conflicted on owning the 3rd movie. I haven't seen it, because I enjoyed the show and how it ended. It was enough for me, I'm not sure I really wanted them to revisit it. I'll have to think about it some more.

It's on the same level as the TV series as far as plot twists and depressing mindf***s go. If you liked how the series ended and thought it was ideal, I wouldn't recommend watching Rebellion because it takes the franchise in a different direction. Not a bad direction in my opinion, but it might make you hate a certain character, you may have previously liked.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@One-Eye
The GoS Blu-ray box didn't sell out that fast. It was up for pre order for a couple of weeks before it sold out. It did sell out before it shipped though.

Yea, I wasn't sure. I'm probably just vaguely recalling something I heard. I do remember hearing that it was available, looking for it on RS and it was already gone. LOL.

Quote:
Actually that was not a North American release. Apparently the Japanese Blu-ray box already had English subtitles. AoA had a small booklet printed up to cover the text portion of the associated art book and added it to a number of imported Japanese sets. It was only sold through Right Stuf and I don't think they ever said how many copies were available. Certainly not even close to 10,000 units.

No, I'm aware that it was an import, but technically it was a release of sorts. I'm pretty sure it wasn't advertised how many sets there were, I was just using the CB example to emphasize that it was very limited.

Kruszer wrote:
Quote:

It's on the same level as the TV series as far as plot twists and depressing mindf***s go. If you liked how the series ended and thought it was ideal, I wouldn't recommend watching Rebellion because it takes the franchise in a different direction. Not a bad direction in my opinion, but it might make you hate a certain character, you may have previously liked.

Yea, I heard tidbits about it but I've purposefully tried to keep myself as uninformed about the details as I could till I sorted out how I felt about it. My gut feeling is to probably stay away from Rebellion for the time being. Maybe after I've watched Madoka a few more times and I've gotten my fill then I might be ready to go and watch Rebellion.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
Oh wow so this thing finally sold out?? Yikes took a few years people must have been deterred by that hefty all-at-once price tag. Might be able to sell mine soon for a nice chunk 'o change towards that deluxe JP box. That was my plan in the first place. I really want those CDs and Nakano "DRRR!! Lovers" event discs in my collection someday. It's a shame Aniplex USA couldn't give us the entire JP package.

EDIT: if I recall correctly the Rakkyo (Garden of sinners) limited edition BD box sold out the night before street date. I was thinking about adding a few more copies to my card for resale but didn't get to it in time. I was told by their guy in charge that they brought about 400 copies over and that they initially thought that it was wayyy too many lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2