• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Assassination Classroom (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[A bunch of students vs one guy with a gun.
Guss anything is possible with a great teacher!
That hotel is something of a maze..
Still they managed to find their way to the boss.
So Takaoka was behind it all.
His desire for revenge against Nagisa drove him insane.
Looks like Nagisa means business.
Can't wait to see how it'll play out!]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21:

Damn, I felt bad for Nagisa this episode. I hope he beats the hell out of that sick freak known as Takaoka next time. Action in the first half was brief but quite pleasant to see imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Although the duel against the gun-tasting soldier was well managed, I have never figured out where the class got the materials to make a dummy on such short notice. Ultimately Koro-Sensei in his little shell giving orders at a rapid pace would have disoriented the target enough for another opportunity to present itself but it would have taken longer had they not used the dummy.

So, the return of Takaoka. Interesting little use of censoring with the title until the big denouement. Hard to imagine how someone of such character could rise to a position of prominence as a trainer of elite soldiers when he has such a petty mindset.

Two episodes to go with the big finale coming next week. Will Nagisa pull off another improbable win against an opponent he shouldn't have any chance against? What will happen to the infected students? For anyone who's been following this series and not read the source material, you'll get the answers next week.

After the break, the next time we see the series will be at least three months from now. Hopefully they'll be close to completing or finished the source material to avoid the unappetising prospect of an "original" ending to incomplete franchises.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
Those guitar riffs sound pretty close to the intro of Iron Man.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
#22 Final

spoiler[Things were looking pretty bleak..
Takaoka vs Nagisa!
The kid was getting a good beating.
How things turned in a flash.
Nagisa pulled an ace of the sleeve.
Good thing those mercenaries did a switch of their own.
Decent final episode.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22/Season 1 Finale

Well that was kinda intense in the first half. Felt like they playing mind games and Nagisa was the bait. However, I liked how he turned around against Takaoka. It adapted well from the story from what I can remember and imo was pretty fun ride for this season. The ending also added some more comedy at the beach~

Yes there's another season!

Rating this as very good
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 22 (finale)

Ah, it over, I have enjoyed this series so much this year, and this was indeed a fitting ending. We have the climax of Nagisa's fight, to a wrap up of events, and a very Assassination Classroom funny last ditch effort of fun, attempts on Koro-sensei, and some lessons. What might have been a good way to wrap this up was that there did seem to be way of saying how they have grown, and perhaps how they could grow into the future.

Although by most standards incredibly wrong, there did seem to be some aspects of assassination that I think this series this series could use on mentions of being an adult in general. I probably will lose most people on this, but another interesting media on assassins I have experience with was a Hitman video game, what made it interesting was that the game's scoring system would actually penalise you for killing people. You were supposed to come to realise that were not supposed to raise some body count, instead you were supposed to take out the target by causing the least amount of damage. This idea also comes into play with Japan in particular with the idea of ninja, despite modern ideas the ninja when sent to kill were not some monster killing everything in their way, but apparently would have actually been killed if they went head on, that their goal was to get in and out as if they were never there and only take out the target. Whether you take it as some code of some terrible ideas of professional killers, I don't know.

Anyway, for rating this series, I give it a strong Very good, don't miss it. It had the teacher anyone could want wrapped up in a silly shounen world facing danger situation and such. Part way through I also showed this to my sister who had fallen off the anime bandwagon, and she indeed also has found it very fun. I will iterate the idea that the series actually sounds rather gloomy from its initial premise that it sounds a little hard that it would be fun, but I will say that definetly is. Also an odd thing, I bought a recent BD release of D-Frag here in Australia, and was interested to see that the back cover quotes "The studio that brought Assassination Classroom unleashes a madcap high school comedy with 100% more psychopaths!". I found that kind of funny, I did not think that there are some tonal similarities.

Really waiting for season 2!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
They decided to end this season with the second duel between Nagisa and Takaoka, but it's not a bad point to finish since viewers unfamiliar with the source wouldn't be missing much.

Nice animation, but I wouldn't recommend trying Nagisa's move even if the conditions were perfectly replicated outside of this series.

It's a solid adaptation even if not everything from source was adapted for viewers. It's deserved its time in the spotlight (doubly so with the air time which means little to no censoring compared to morning shows).

2016 for season 2 by which time the source material should have finished. Here's to the wait (and good sales from this season to increase the budget for next season).
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 #1:

Not sure why, but the graphical effects for the new OP were slightly off-putting. The song isn't much but the animation does a good job at introducing all of the class members to refresh the memories of those who don't follow the source material.

Picking up where the first season let off, Koro-sensei needed to blow off some steam at being imprisoned in his ultimate defensive form for a whole day. Although he didn't get the juicy scandal he was fishing for, everyone gets some fun trying to hook up Jelavic with Karasuma (nice Attack on Titan reference there Lerche)

The second half featuring the summer festival isn't very substantial bar some info on Nagisa's family situation and the master assassin's little mishap. Who knew assassination techniques could be adapted into plain but effective prize-winning moves?

The ED animation is actually similar to the first season featuring chalk drawings, but the scale is much larger compared to the first ED. Again the song isn't very memorable and it's the visuals which catch the eye.

If next week is any indication, they might be doing the pudding arc. That's a fun one to adapt and should be a good one to look forward to.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure I like the new OP song yet, did prefer the previous two better although I think I can get use to it.

Good to see this show back. The comedy still feels refreshing with the start of the second season. And we also get some "scary" moments, some ominous foreshadowing about what's to come for the rest of the season, and more focus on Irina. Cool.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Echoing the same thoughts about the new OP, it just does not feel like it has the fun of the first two OP songs. Both of them had things like the students as a group dancing, showing that despite the situation they are in, it is still a fun one where they are having individual and group experiences. It felt more focused on Koro-sensei, in a way that felt like maybe how he sees them as he is moving at super speed, rather than quite the focus of iconic dashing Koro-sensei that pretty much creates clones.

Happy they kept the aesthetics of the ED, the song itself kind of reminds me of some from Fairy Tail for some reason.

So we are back, and I am really happy for that because I really love this. I laughed way too much when everyone's face turned into like Koro-sensei at the idea of messing with Irena (I really need to stop refering to her as "Bitch Sensei").
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
Season 2 picked up exactly where it left off.
Don't know who's corrupting who here... LOL
Irina - Karasuma match isn't bad at all <3
Summer festival was really nice.
Standard fun stuff as usual ^^
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 episode 2:

It's a good thing I ate before watching the episode or otherwise, that pudding would of be made even hungrier. Koro-sensei defused that thing with no problem. I think that tells me the kids need to be more clever if they want to kill him.

Ah that cliffhanger...excitement hype for next week!

P.S. I felt bad for Irina lol. She had an idea planted in her head but got shot down in no more than a minute. Confused
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I liked the pudding attempt, done faithfully right down to every last detail. A shame the attempt will never see an entry into a record book though I imagine Karasuma had quite the hard time explaining the use of his department's budget on oversized confectionery makers.

A shame they cut down the free-running arc to a half-episode and with an original ending (I really wanted to see spoiler[Karasuma show off just how amazing he is at this]), still the animators chose to go for the underwear thief arc which is a decent cliffhanger to leave viewers at for the next week to come.

As always, Koro-sensei and his facial expressions are always a highlight of this show. Plenty of laughs more than action for this episode though next week should redress the balance (long time no see Shirou and Itona).
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
As always, Koro-sensei and his facial expressions are always a highlight of this show.

True, but speaking of expressions I much appreciated Karasuma's rare smile when he contemplating the pudding plan. Then then sweating bullets when looking at the budget.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 19