• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Assassination Classroom (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Irina] got herself targeted.
That spoiler[Lovro guy] was in no way benign.
spoiler[Irina vs Lovro for the best assassin title!
Karasuma was the target]
and things took a ROFL turn.
Seems like spoiler[Karasuma] is even better than those two.
spoiler[Nagisa & Karma] took an interesting trip with Koro sensei.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
All according to plan, not exactly filler since it introduces a little more backstory for Irina and follows up on last week's trailer.

spoiler[ Plenty of complaints about the use of languages other than Japanese in this show, I for one could tolerate the English but couldn't figure out if the Slavic/Russian used by Lavro was passable. ]

spoiler[ Karasuma is a beast, but even beasts have their weaknesses. ]

spoiler[ I'm actually pleased they did the Hawaii trip and took the time difference into account. Hawaii is 19 hours behind Tokyo so if Nagisa and Karma left immediately after school (say 15:00) then a 15-minute trip via Air Korosensei would have given them an arrival time of 10:15pm the day before in Hawaii. It wasn't illustrated quite so well in the source material. ]

spoiler[Duel between Itona and Koro-Sensei next week, not sure if I like the voice for Shiro though. ]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see someone say something nice about Irina for a change.

Does anyone besides me replay the opening credits to catch all the changes they make in it from one episode to the next? Ritsu is in it now and she gets her full-size display back and participates in the dance.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Does anyone besides me replay the opening credits to catch all the changes they make in it from one episode to the next? Ritsu is in it now and she gets her full-size display back and participates in the dance.

Check out the opening two weeks from now to confirm your theory.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

INTENSE. spoiler[I think that's a good way to describe the latest episode especially in the second half. Just gotta love how dangerous some of the assassins are (even with a bit of hair gimmick added in!).]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[A new transfer student] was just weird.
He might be some kind of a threat to Koro.
Damn, thespoiler[ kid being Koro's brother.] Did not see that coming.
Wonder how all that is gonna turn out..
Looks like spoiler[little bro] has some spoiler[cool powers] too.
Still.. no one spoiler[can beat that clever Koro-sensei].
Those kids... they really are something.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
One of the few arcs in the series that combines comedy and action in this manner. I had a good laugh listening to Fuwa's long spiel about Koro-sensei's origins as well as the class reaction to his new "sibling".

Every class has its troublemaker, but a specimen like spoiler[Itona and his tentacles is quite exceptional. ]

Nice voice for Shiro, but I'd prefer it if the tone was darker and carried more menace.

Next week's the baseball competition! This'll be a good one to watch.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I had a good laugh listening to Fuwa's long spiel about Koro-sensei's origins as well as the class reaction to his new "sibling".

The class's reaction to Koro-sensei's "confession" was perfect.

It was sort of odd that Ritsu seemed to disappear during the duel.

But the advent of Itona and the other revelations this week do tend to support my theory that Koro-sensei started out as some sort of military weapon that got out of control. That would further suggest that the destruction of earth on a specific date is not really under Koro-sensei's control but is a byproduct of his existence. The destruction of the moon was part of that effect. Perhaps it has something to do with the control mechanism of his energy source is breaking down and once it does kablooie.

If you watch anime for the odd and esoteric situations that it can concoct this is the anime for you.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Nice voice for Shiro, but I'd prefer it if the tone was darker and carried more menace.

I think that character was always intended to be mellow. I mean, he's actually very menacing, sure, but I don't think he ever wants to appear that way, you know? He wants to be unassuming, even kindly, just out for a casual day at school, and then whoosh, knife to the guts. If his VA sounded menacing it would be too direct. He should always just be super-casual, unless he snaps, of course.

Quote:
The destruction of the moon was part of that effect. Perhaps it has something to do with the control mechanism of his energy source is breaking down and once it does kablooie.

Maybe, but I think if that were the case, if he were a threat to mankind and just wanted someone to stop him, he would just take off into space on his own power. At Mach 20 he could get to the moon in a bit over half a day, reach Mars in a bit over a year, he could likely get outside of any blast radius if he tried. If the problem was surviving and/or moving through space, they could just put him on a rocket that could get him at least 1/4 of the way to Mars within a year.

Whatever his plan, it clearly involves something more than just genuinely getting himself killed for the greater good.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
At Mach 20 he could get to the moon in a bit over half a day, reach Mars in a bit over a year, he could likely get outside of any blast radius if he tried.

That's been bugging me for a while -- they use the term "Mach 20" as if that is a fixed speed which it isn't. The Mach number is dimensionless and refers to a ratio of current velocity to the current speed of sound. Not only is that different at different temperatures and altitudes, there is no Mach anything in space where there is no atmosphere -- you measure speed in relation to some other object like the Earth. I am sure the authors know all this and they are just being silly.

BTW there is no evidence so far that Koro-sensei can leave the atmosphere. The moon might have been destroyed remotely.

Regardless of all that the more important subject is to resolve the question of what makes up Koro-sensei's personality rather than what lame-ass theory of science makes him go. Is he (or will he be) willing to sacrifice himself to save the earth? He seems too genial and kind-hearted not to. Then again is he actually able to? I suspect not. That would explain this bizarre teaching contract where he is compelled not only not to hurt any students but to defend them as well -- the Earth can't be destroyed if he sticks to that condition. That clause ends when the class ends and that seems to be no coincidence.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

That's been bugging me for a while -- they use the term "Mach 20" as if that is a fixed speed which it isn't. The Mach number is dimensionless and refers to a ratio of current velocity to the current speed of sound. Not only is that different at different temperatures and altitudes, there is no Mach anything in space where there is no atmosphere -- you measure speed in relation to some other object like the Earth. I am sure the authors know all this and they are just being silly.

Well, it's a convenient shorthand for "6805m/s," which is far more clunky in dialog. Presumably that would be his actual top speed in atmosphere, and it's also reasonable to assume that his top speed outside of atmosphere would be higher, since it doesn't seem to be based on atmospheric propulsion, but then again perhaps he moves by "leaping on air," One Piece style, in which case he could not accelerate or change course in a vacuum, but he would continue to move in a straight line at his top speed until he hits something.

Quote:
BTW there is no evidence so far that Koro-sensei can leave the atmosphere. The moon might have been destroyed remotely.

And yeah, I noted that even if this were the case, they could put him on a human-built rocket that could get him well on his way to mars within a year.

Quote:
That would explain this bizarre teaching contract where he is compelled not only not to hurt any students but to defend them as well -- the Earth can't be destroyed if he sticks to that condition. That clause ends when the class ends and that seems to be no coincidence.

Yeah, but remember that this whole situation is his idea, so the conditions are just ones he agreed to to be allowed to teach them, not rules he was somehow forced into "no matter what." There's no indication that anyone has any control over him that he has not handed them.

I agree that deliberately destroying the world seems inexplicable given his personality, but there are all sorts of reasons why that might be out of his control. Maybe he can't control his powers, maybe he can't control his mind under certain conditions, etc.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Not that anyone watching just this adaptation really cares, but the source material is right at the point where spoiler[Koro-Sensei's motivations are about to be revealed]. So any speculation as to why he's spoiler[created this situation] will remain unanswered until possibly the end of the season or when the entire source material is concluded.

{Added Spoiler tags; and Blood- is correct -- you had no excuse avoiding the use of spoiler tags. ~nobahn}
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I care, you d---. How many times do I have to say I DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING GLEANED FROM THE SOURCE MATERIAL. Yes, even something along the things of what you wrote. Jesus effing Christ. And I know you know better. IF YOU WANT TO COMMENT ON SOMETHING FROM SOURCE MATERIAL PUT IT IN GODDAMN SPOILER TAGS.

I really, really, really wish that source material r-----s weren't allowed to post in the anime forum.

{I know you're angry, Blood-, but please don't insult people by calling them names. (Politeness and all, don't you know!) ~nobahn}
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I haven't revealed anything specific, so what's with the bawling? If you don't like it, report it to the moderators and let them deal with it.

After all, you should know better having posted longer.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
^
If you want to discuss spoilers, then do so in the Talkback Forum.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 19