• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuri Kuma Arashi (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I thought the episode was somewhat better than the first two but I seriously hope this isn't Ikuhara's idea of highlighting LGBT issues. Everything is so stereotypical and the girls and their relationships don't seem real at all.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

That teacher we saw that was friends with her mother had "yuri" in her name too, so we can probably assume she is a bear too.

Trying to make sense of the direction I keep rethinking small bits in separating story, from the core symbolism. Bears by themselves really do seem to be a symbolism of how the culture might see lesbianism, the court session is them continuously saying that they will stay true to themselves. Kureha seems to keep getting saved or looked after, and we are told that it is because the bears want to eat her, which probably on the society idea that the love is selfish. Like some old "educational" film warning that homosexuals could be anyone, they are monster pretending to be people. Such monsters will destroy even her innocent loved one.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
Ep 1-3

I'm such a sucker for Ikuhara's style and use of symbolism & cinematic.

Weird how I can understand everything within the episode runtime (for Utena I had to re-watch episodes a few times and with Penugindrum I had to do more research about how Japanese society puts so much pressure on youth). I think this shows how limited Ikuhara is about actual LGBTQ+ struggles outside of things you can find on Google. Confused Since he only uses it to 'spice up' an even larger story, having it being the main focus it not as compelling as it should be.

Then, there's the repeat of Kureha (the only 'real lesbian') falling down stairs when confronted by a bear. Is she afraid of her own sexual desires and the two bears are meant to bring it out of her? Still an interesting shows but not in my top favorites.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
Half (excluding the male bears, who I really doubt physically exist) of the named characters have been spoiler[either shot or "eaten"]. And it's only episode 3. This show is more "violent" than I thought.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Re: the bird/lily wallpaper mentioned earlier in the thread, I think it's a pretty obvious riff on Escher's Sky and Water I. Given that the pieces is two opposites gradually phasing into each other and that Ikuni loves to break down dichotomies, I'm guessing it's a meaningful motif. Though like everything else in this it's meaning is still pretty dang obscure.

I'm not anti this show, and I know they've only got like 12 episodes, but I really feel like we were dumped into the weird second half of an Ikuni show without much preparation. Both Revolutionary Girl Utena and Penguindrum started out with odd stories that were nonetheless based firmly in "reality." Utena is about a tomboy sticking up for a bullied weaker girl... through bizarre duels under a floating castle, but still. Penguindrum is about two brothers trying to save their dying sister... by using a magical penguin hat and trying to find a magical artifact. Weird, but within the realm of fantastic anime plots. It's only much later that we discover that Anthy spoiler[is participating in her own victimhood, and that Akio is counting on Utena defending her to reach the End of the World and restore his heroic nature and reduce herself to being a princess], or that the Murata siblings spoiler[aren't really siblings, and their parents were responsible for Japan's worst terrorist attack, and Ringo's sister who died in said attack had the power to control fate.] In other words, it was normal(ish) for a while before going off the deep end.

Yurikuma Arashi feels like it's already in the deep end, though I suppose that it too could take a bizarre turn midway through as well. I had to reevaluate both of his other series at that point, too. Until that happens, though, I'm dubbing it "intriguing but not as good as his previous work."
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, the latest episode had a taste of crazy in it and ...honey? Surprised

spoiler[Lulu] is an interesting character though as we find out more about her. I'm still not too used to the themes or symbolism of the show yet but episode 4 was quite memorable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
This episode actually makes me smile. Mirun's "resilience" (and subsequent Lulu's shock) reminds me of Tex Avery's Droopy. Laughing

spoiler[Is it implied that Kureha's mom was Ginko's love?]
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Hold on to your butts people, we're going Full Ikuhara.

This episode reminded me a lot of episode 12 of Penguindrum, in that it portrayed a dramatic and emotionally powerful moment through a fairytale (the dead tree we see several times is nearly identical to a similar one in Penguindrum) and it also made the conceptual and thematic world of the show a lot more complex.

(Episode 12 is one of my favourite anime moments of all time, so the fact that I'm comparing the two is high praise)

The similarities to Penguindrum go deeper though (spoilers for both series follow): spoiler[we now have the concept of people "transferring" love/wishes between each other, just as the Penguindrum was ultimately revealed to be the idea of people sharing "fate" with each other. As in Penguindrum, once you've been "given" it you can choose to give it on to someone else.

Also similar is the red wasp that circles Lulu and also surrounds her brother and Ginko at multiple points; the ending of Penguin similarly featured spinning red circles surrounding two people]

If I remember correctly, this series was originally announced as being called "Penguinbear" and was implied to be more heavily linked, so it's perhaps not surprising that they're similar.

So, questions that arise now:

In the previous three episodes everything seemed attached to the yuri theme, including any and all mentions of "love", but this episode upends that pretty heavily notions of seemingly purely platonic love, ie between Lulu and spoiler[her brother] and possibly between Ginko and spoiler[Kureha's mom], which would seem to imply that there's a hell of a lot more going on here than just a show about lesbian relationships.

I don't really have any idea what choosing between spoiler[love and kisses] means. Although forsaking spoiler[kisses] is apparently what makes you human and there's been a fairly obvious bears = sexuality theme going on, so. Yeah.

What exactly was the deal with spoiler[the bee]?

If I'm reading the conversation at the end between Ginko and Lulu right, Ginko says she won't be killed in the human world because spoiler["she" (Kureha's mom presumably?) gave her love. Does that mean the bears who eat humans have to do so because they don't have love?]

L'Imperatore wrote:

spoiler[Is it implied that Kureha's mom was Ginko's love?]

Yep. People picked up on spoiler[Ginko wearing Kureha's mom's necklace] right from the start, but we didn't know what it meant until now. The assumption was that spoiler[Ginko ate her] but maybe not.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:

For me that was like spoiler[her personal barrier, that's why everytime somebody tried to be close to her the bee made sure that nop, but the brother is allowed.]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
So we have lesbian rapist bears, a poorly developed lesbian couple, a Phoenix Wright wannabe courtroom and some random girl tossed in for no apparent reason? Was she supposed to be some sort of third wheel/romantic rival for the MC? Who knows! It's symbolic! It's edgy!

Ha......

Well, that description alone is enough to send me running in the opposite direction, screaming. Not a big fan of Utena either so....I'm out.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:

I took it as a pretty obvious allusion to her envy and jealousy.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
Ep 4: When Sexy Life (or is it Life Sexy?) hummed "Shaba-da-doo" to the horror movie theme I lost it. That was hilarious! On that note, I have no idea what I just watched, but it was adorable! I just wanted to pick up Mirun and give him a great big bear hug (pun intended). Laughing Or I wanted Lulu to, but she was so mean to him!
I think I need to see more of the show to figure out where this is going. My big question this week spoiler[is the implication that Mirun is still alive, lost somewhere, perhaps beyond the wall of severance? I think so, but it wasn't entirely clear. Next week I think they'll give us Ginko's backstory to complement Lulu's, and for once I'm actually looking forward to an episode!]
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I think I need to see more of the show to figure out where this is going. My big question this week spoiler[is the implication that Mirun is still alive, lost somewhere, perhaps beyond the wall of severance? I think so, but it wasn't entirely clear. Next week I think they'll give us Ginko's backstory to complement Lulu's, and for once I'm actually looking forward to an episode!]

As the main reviewer for the show noted, one of the questions is whether, in this series, spoiler[death = death, or whether death = something else entirely.]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Ha......

Well, that description alone is enough to send me running in the opposite direction, screaming. Not a big fan of Utena either so....I'm out.

I'd imagine the user was exaggerating or not used to Ikuhara's style.

Episode 4 has a take of a comfy fairy tale story as a back drop for Lulu's back story which showcased how to PROPERLY do sibling relationships with the ol' "younger sibling getting more attention than the 1st born" bit (though I'd imagine it's mostly patriarchal stuff). Still need to figure out the difference between kisses and love this episode presented. Maybe they're saying that love and kisses are not necessary and sufficient.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Blatant yuri makes me uncomfortable......but what really bothered me is the.........actually, no, the entire thing sounds too weird for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8