• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-11-03]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Wait a second...

People are holding the craptasticness of the end of the IY anime against Takahashi and calling it her insulting the fans?

That's not her ending. They took a random arc of the manga and made it into a quasi-ending. In the manga that whole storyline is just that, a random arc. It isn't meant to be conclusive and the story just goes on after that.

Blame the anime writers, not Takahashi. She doesn't write the anime and she had little say in it once they'd licensed it for tv.

The anime has never been what I'd call 'faithful' to the manga anyway, what with all the cuts they did and those god awful fillers. Even if you think Takahashi writes bad endings (I don't think she does, but whatever), I think it's pretty out there that she'd end the series without them... defeating Naraku.

Also Zac, is incorrect in saying that the prospect of a second IY series is very slim. Right now I'd put it at about 50/50. The staff even as recently as a couple months ago expressed interest in continuing it once the manga is over. Ratings aren't really what caused the demise of the anime. They weren't as high as they had been at some points, but they weren't low enough to warrant a cancellation. I think they averaged about 11.0, and the cancellation cut is around 7.0 for the block IY was in.
Kidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Wait a second...

Also Zac, is incorrect in saying that the prospect of a second IY series is very slim. Right now I'd put it at about 50/50. The staff even as recently as a couple months ago expressed interest in continuing it once the manga is over. Ratings aren't really what caused the demise of the anime. They weren't as high as they had been at some points, but they weren't low enough to warrant a cancellation. I think they averaged about 11.0, and the cancellation cut is around 7.0 for the block IY was in.

Yeah and Berserk is gonna get a 2nd season Anime smile + sweatdrop

About the whole racism thing, I'm Hong Kong-Chinese but grew up in a very multi-cultural society, so I'm generally "PC" about what I say, but some of my relatives (usually the older generation) aren't so accepting of other cultures.

I believe that a lot of the racism that westerners may feel from Asians is due to history. In the past, Western countries forcibly "colonized" several areas in the Far East (including Japan) and basically forced the locals to become part of their empire. In more recent history, the utter decimation of two Japanese cities by the Americans is something that's been ingrained into the Japanese culture (you see examples of this in many post-apocalyptic animes). People don't forgive and forget so easily. The interesting thing is that while there are numerous racist stereotypes in anime and manga, the Japanese (and many other Far Eastern cultures) are very pro-western and generally admire the Western lifestyle and culture. I think perhaps anime and manga writers try to instill some Japanese pride in its youth and probably promote the message that the "West is not the best". In addition, as Zac explained in his reply, there's very little cultural diversity in Far Eastern countries, so they are never really exposed to situations promoting racial acceptance.
Js2756

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I really wonder if the people who are criticizing Rumiko Takahashi have even read her manga. One only needs to look at how drastically Kikyo was changed in tha anime adaptation of Inuyasha to show that the scriptwriters are more than willing to take liberties with the original work to make it the way they see fit.

I love the anime based on her work (except IY) and her manga is probably better than the anime in most cases. If there is one criticism that can be levelled at her, it is probably that most of her stories run too long and there is a lot of filler.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Also Zac, is incorrect in saying that the prospect of a second IY series is very slim. Right now I'd put it at about 50/50. The staff even as recently as a couple months ago expressed interest in continuing it once the manga is over.

Oh, staff always say that they'd like to continue a series if possible. Really doesn't come as any surprise, if I was creating an anime that I really liked I'd probably want to do the same thing. This doesn't mean in any way that they're actually going to do it, and doesn't really raise the chances at all either. I mean, other than that they have the interest to make more, which was a given anyway. What matters most is if they have the money to create it and the fanbase to buy it.

Quote:
Ratings aren't really what caused the demise of the anime. They weren't as high as they had been at some points, but they weren't low enough to warrant a cancellation. I think they averaged about 11.0, and the cancellation cut is around 7.0 for the block IY was in.

Then tell me what did cause them to take it off the air.
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:
In more recent history, the utter decimation of two Japanese cities by the Americans is something that's been ingrained into the Japanese culture (you see examples of this in many post-apocalyptic animes).

Actually almost every large Japanese city on the Pacific coast from the island of Kyushu to Tokyo was decimated by firebombing.

As for Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex I see the portrayal of Imperial Americana (the US no longer exists in this story) as in the context of the past 25 years of US foreign policy which includes invading and overthrowing the governments (or in the case of Nicaragua attempting to) of several nations. The Japanese take on such things is very different than the view held by the government here and we should expect to see differing views in entertainment from other nations.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
One also has to remember the no eastern cultural nation ever historically sailed to some other nation on the other side of their world and forcibly taken many of the indigenous people from those nations, chain them inside stuffy disease ridden ships to their home land and then sell the survivors into forced labour like nothing more than mules and donkeys. Sure they had their own internal wars but any survivors, or slaves were generally of the same gene pool. Remember if it weren't for the Americans in the 19th century, Japan might still be a closed society ruled by Samurai warriors. One can only speculate. Wink
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I have a bit of an ironic story involving the whole racial ignorance in Japan (I agree that they are pretty racial ignorant, but they don't do it on purpose, which I think a lot people don't take into account.).

I'm taking a Japanese class at my college. I was watching a video in the class that was teaching some of Japan's culture (video must have been like 10 years old though...), and they really, um, portrayed Japan in a rather skewed an somewhat inaccurate way (at least from the way I know it and have viewed it as). While I'm sure there are some Japanese who go out and help people from other countries and learn about other cultures, I swear, half of the video focused on just that. It really made it seem like Japan was, well, more like the US and really focused on racial/cultural equality and awareness. Not really that accurate. This video is an example of the US trying to spread cultural awareness but inaccurately portraying cultural awareness of another country that is mostly culturally ignorant, and therefore basically spreading cultural ignorance.
busyyuu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Answerman, there's a very simple answer to Zac's question, and it certainly doesn't involve racial intolerance and homogenious qualities (this isn't 1854, dude). I've been reading ANN for a while now, but only this has prompted me to actually speak.

Zac, I'd say people in Japan view the American MILITARY (and specifically the military, because I can't really remember any other scenes involving any other major American occupation portrayed in Japan) as idiots because of two reasons:

1). America still has American bases in Japan. If a country forced us to put their military on our soil, Americans would probably be irrate too.
2). Because the American military do indeed act like total morons in Japan. Now, I have friends who are either in the military or are former members, and they have pretty level heads on their shoulders. The guys I've seen are just idiots. They acted stupid and had absolutely no intentions or ability to integrate themselves into society (largely due to illiteracy). So of COURSE everybody around them thought them to be unintelligent douchebags, because I sure did. I'm sure anime producers are no different.

It's the same just about everywhere, really. I've seen Chinese movies that bash/belittle Japan/Japanese people because (not suprisingly) they hold a grudge against the horrible things Japan has done to them in the past. As for other qualities, such as cowboy boots and obsessions with guns that you might see in various shows, those are simply prevailing stereotypes, and when I say stereotypes, I mean that it's simply a lack of education, which every country typically has to some extent. Hey, remember the "rapping schoolgirls" in Blade? My white friend was ashamed to be watching that with me at the time. Razz

Does Japan have discrimination problems? Of course it does. Deep-seated political problems between Korea, China, and Japan go back for hundreds of years, so it shouldn't be surprising, even with a bunch of Koreans and Chinese living in Japan. Are those problems becoming better? Of course they are, if the joint world cup between Korea and Japan are any indication, as well as the mesh of pop culture that's been swirling about the three countries.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
busyyuu wrote:
Answerman, there's a very simple answer to Zac's question, and it certainly doesn't involve racial intolerance and homogenious qualities (this isn't 1854, dude). I've been reading ANN for a while now, but only this has prompted me to actually speak.

Your theory seems to be based entirely on anecdotal evidence. I know a lot of people living in Japan and I asked them to read over my answer and they largely agreed. That's also anecdotal. You might be right, but I'm pretty sure I'm right, too.

Also I don't know what's going on here but "Zac" is me, and I am Answerman.
Gage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Edit by myself: This was not indended for this month's Answerman Column. Please disregard, thanks!

I'm typing this based on only theory, which I hope makes sense to most people, regarding this week's Rant Rant Rant! submission about why Japan is such "a magnet."

As I was reviewing this addition, I began to think of just one reason and one reason only.

Question: Why most animes are set in Japan.

Theoretical Answer: Well, I think most animes end up or are set in Japan simply because the writer or creator of the series is from Japan or China. Let's take this for example: What if you were a popular series creator rather it be anime or manga or both, and you were born in Japan and have only been to America or possibly have never been there only about 20 times and those are only for business purposes only.

Not getting my point? Well, possibly the creator does not really have awhole lot of knowledge about this country (US, whatever) and has not enough facts to make a series based on this location. Bah, I better stop with this before I confuse myself but, overall, I'm sure most series are based in Japan because their creators and staff are from Japan and have more experience and knowledge of the place enabling benefits to the series like locations, and as mentioned in the submission, names, foods, weapons, and basic culture.

Well, that was my guess. Hope I did well. Smile

Last edited by Gage on Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
Silly humans!! all these years reading manga and anime and still you don't realize that Rumiko Takahashi SUCKS on ending stories that she has taken and used every single trick on the book, and you guys (no matter what generation you belong) are still falling in the same ending she pulls on all her series "And we will keep moving on in life and see what happens"

If a little of history on her works can help you understand why you felt betrayed with the ending on Inu-yasha, why don't you take a look at the other work's endings? I won't call this a spoiler because all the endings are the same:

-Mermaid scar/mermaids forest: the immortal mermaid flesh eater couple keep moving on the road to see what's life have for them, they are not boyfriend and girlfriend just yet but they will see.

-Urisei Yatsura: at the very end, ataru does not tell Lum that she loves her, instead he said "I will never forget" and the show ends with the promise that "they will never forget the memories of youth and they will create a thousand more" that you won't see because the show's end is at episode 200 after 6 movies, 7 specials etc etc...

-Ranma 1/2: Ranma is cured and he tells akane that he cares (not love) about her, after a joke wedding that ends up being a mock party, they keep going to school and all the girls in the cast actually are glad that Ranma didn't marry, so everyone ends up going to school next day and literally at the end they say "We will wait for the future to see what happens" after 3 movies, 9 specials and 180 something episodes

And all the rest of her works always end up in some sort of "open ending" to the public without giving away the fact that "possibly" the characters can fall in love in the future, I haven't seen "Maison Ikkoku" just yet, but I doubt it has a definite ending.

I used to be a fan of rumiko's works but I decided to pass up Inu yasha because it looks a bit cartoony to me, not that her other works aren't cartoony enough, but with urisei yatsura and ranma 1/2 I was satisfied, now that I know that the ending of Inu yasha is lackluster, there is no reason to me to go on a show so incredibly big that will not take you anywhere.

that is so "Rumiko" why do you think she is the best paying mangaka in the world? she can sell you a story that will not end, will never end....
I think the manga endings seemed open ended because Rumiko Takahashi WANTED TO BE TRUE TO HER CHARCTERS For example Ranma is socially inept as a result of living with his crazt father on a training journey for all those years. Add that to the fact that his initial interaction with Akane was hostile, and he is unsure of how she feels for him, and is afraid to be hurt, and it is understandable about why he can only let out some of his feelings.

Quote:
Speaking of which, it's interesting to see the reaction to the "ending" of the Inuyasha TV series. I stand by my statement that it's one of the most unsatisfying and irritating endings to a long-running action show I've ever seen, next to Rurouni Kenshin, which didn't even really have a proper ending. I never really was a fan of Inuyasha in the first place, but to drag people through 160+ episodes of the show and then flat-out not finish it is like giving the finger to a whole legion of loyal fans.
Anzswerman, would you have rather the producers had been untrue to Rumiko Takahashi's manga and came up with thier own ending that in all likelyhood have sucked crap. I have only seen towo anime with a different ending form the manga tha I actually liked pretty well. Those are Fullmetal Alchemist and to a lesser degree Getbackers. while I would have prefered the anime to keep following the manga I think this is MUCH better then coming up with a horrible alternative ending.

Also, on another note, while there is some racism/racial intolerence in Japan that can be shown in their works, not everyone there feels that way. For example, you can see that Rumiko Takahshi fells otherwise as indicated by the previous series Inuyasha. charcter is a half-demon, and as a result is discrimnated against by full demos, and humans alike. Despite this fairly early in the series he manages to overcome his misgivings and has a compassionate heart, to ALMOST everyone. This shows RT believes we should accept people who are different from us.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Hey Answerman, you're getting lazily cynical with your use of another ignore-cat. I demand cheerful innocently playing kittens having hilariously bloody mishaps!

Anyway, I'm not sure how much we should play up xenophobia in anime. That it would portray Japanese guys in a good light is hardly surprising. Almost all people get a kick out of getting their national pride puffed up a bit. There isn't necessarily any other agenda than that it improves ratings and sales. Ignorance is still no excuse but with more sales abroad the studios will begin to change. In fact, I think we're already seeing that change, with several anime in the last couple of years clearly being made with an eye for the export market.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
Hey Answerman, you're getting lazily cynical with your use of another ignore-cat. I demand cheerful innocently playing kittens having hilariously bloody mishaps!

You are a horrible person. Sad

Quote:
In fact, I think we're already seeing that change, with several anime in the last couple of years clearly being made with an eye for the export market.

*cough*GUNxSWORD*cough*
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Um, all right... I'm an Asian. Why does American media get away with wholesale racism and other downright disgusting portrayals of minorities?

Sure, homogeneity gives Japanese society a different perspective on racial differences. I'd have to argue, however, that it's pretty Western-o-centric to assume that this "downright disgusting portrayal" is definitive, typical, or exceptionally prevalent in Japanese media. There's plenty of similar "racist" portrayal on American television-- stereotypes of Hispanics, African-Americans, and Asians abound.

I was hoping someone would say this. Lot of it is really subtitle, I like to call it "hidden racism". You know how they have these racial minority characters in TV series or movies, but they are always just a little bit dumber or little bit poorer or little bit uglier than their white counterparts. But since the characters are there someone can point to them and say "look, we're not racist, here's a minority character".
pat_payne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:

The actual content is more strictly monitored in some ways and things critical of for example, the government or various other state institutions are not generally allowed. Additionally, they do not have the right to parody companies, people and situations to the degree that Americans are, which means that a lot of the parody shows we watch (Daily Show, much of Comedy Central and Adult Swim programming,) would probably not be able to be shown there.

Although this is apparently starting to change, as Nerima Daikon Brothers actually does take on Koizumi and other controversies, albeit from a slightly oblique angle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9