• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Durarara!!×2 (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
No, instead he desperately wants their attention, to actually feel like he is important and has some power. That he spent a day where no one came after him when he was at his weakest, that he was not important enough for Shinra to even talk on the phone, it was eating him up.

His motivation is to escape boredom. Not to do good or evil. Not to gain power or feel important. Boredom is his enemy.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
No, I think DuskyPredator's right, Izaya craves attention in the form of the scorn of others. He *wanted* someone to try to kill him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:20 am Reply with quote
Just look at how delighted he was at Shinra being angry a him for being questioned by the police. It was not merely wanting to watch something humorous to happen, he wanted to turn Shinra's indifference to his situation around, to have him annoyed at him with the next call. He does not just want to observe something interesting, he wants to be the partial cause, and people are catching on that he is causing trouble, which creates a conflict between schemes and that he like attention.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Durarara!! x2 Ten episode 2:

Hmm, interesting episode.

We get the focus of Mika and Seiji along with Namie who I think is a bit yandere for Seiji lol. Anyways, it's interesting to see how their "rivalry" came together. Mika also knows more than she is letting on judging on her confrontation with Namie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2.

You know... I'm also getting tired of only talking about the execution/direction of this show, that's a very bad sign, but it's just so distracting that I have to do it. Right now some things are better: better structure, better focus of single episodes (much simpler goals and easier to follow), not confusing information about what's going on, consistent animation and decent pacing in transition of scenes. Also, less overused music, neat.

However, the fail marks are still the pacing of the conversations themselves (they just throw lines one behind another again without any pauses or pacing); telling over showing to the extreme extreme degree; and animation so limited that the character just stand up and say things without movement and that's it, everything is so static that combined with everything else made most of Namie's conversations too busy to feel invested. The same with spoiler[Mika's revelation about all she knows or wanting to eat Celty's head], it should have a bigger weight spoiler[and creepiness] but with this diluted tone I felt no emotion whatsoever. So sadly the direction is still not on par. I hate to be so nitpicky about this, but it doesn't stop being a problem. At least it's not as awkward, I guess.

Okay... about the episode itself, I'm not the biggest fan of these characters and they don't seem relevant, but this episode almost looked like some sort of opened conclusion to their struggles and not relating more with the rest, so okay. Sadly because of the directing I couldn't get very invested or feel any emotion at all, so I'm not much motivated to talk about Seiji, Namie and Mika's changes over the year. But at least they explained a little better (in the middle of Mika's recap about what's happening) Izaya and Sloan's relation in the previous season, okay.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
So which woman is the more psychotic? That's what this episode was about.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
They really are not the most interesting characters in the series, but the episode was done alright. Good to know that Mika is more than a "pretty face".
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
The episode was alright. I have to agree that these 3 characters are by far the least interesting of DRRR's world. The only character here I am entertained by is Namie and really she's more entertaining as Izaya's secretary than when she's obsessed with Seiji. The only detail in this episode I was legit entertained by was they finally showed that Namie cooks for Izaya.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Mika was somehow at the center of hate..
She and Seiji made a nice pair.
Namie was pretty pissed off.
Namie vs Mika showdown was disturbing yet interesting.
Oh wow, that Mika sure was full of info.
Great episode!
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
I liked the second episode, Mika's recap came out of nowhere but I do appreciate her summing everything up for me. First cour was two seasons ago after all. I'm really interested in knowing what Varona is doing in Russian Sushi.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
I'm really interested in knowing what Varona is doing in Russian Sushi.

The Russian mafia's base -- or maybe it is just known common ground because the sushi chef comes from the same organization -- is the Russian Sushi restaurant. The organization last season sent out a team to retrieve and control Varona who was running wild Japan. Rather than kill her (she seems to be either lucky or protected) they stuck her as a worker in the restaurant to keep an eye on her. It seems pretty clear that she was given little choice but accepted a deal to be there other than whatever alternative they offered her.

Of all the characters in this story the Russian guys are the scariest. That's saying something.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
So, anyone pay attention to the movie posters?

The first shot, I'm pretty sure that the only visible one on the left side is for the movie they went to see. On the right side, though, you can see more when Seiji and Mika walk by.

From right to left (since that's the order you can see them):
1: spoiler[Aldnoah.ZERO]
2: spoiler[Samurai Flamenco](?)
3: ???
4: spoiler[Sword Art Online 2]
5: spoiler[Baccano](?)
6: ??? (that one was on screen too short of a time for me to see it)

Anyone have ideas on what the missing two are?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I think #3 was Cencoroll
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Durarara!! x2 Ten episode 3:

Akabayashi won me over this episode. The guy was very interesting to see in this arc along with part of his role. The episode also took somewhat of a mature direction with the drug dealers too....

Background story-building was done quite well imo this week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I just wish the animation wasn't so subpar. All of Akabayashi's ass kicking looked very dull.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 14