• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Durarara!!×2 (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Potatochobit, I was much like Chiibi to start off with. I was unsure about what exactly was going on but once you familiar yourself with the charcters it does become easier to follow; though the show still remains random and sporadic at times, it becomes a part of its charm much like Baccano.

Obviously it's down to personal taste, it's well worth giving another shot but if it's still not your cup of tea there isn't much point wasting your time when you could be watching another show which appeals to you more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
should I give DRRR another chance?
I never finished the first few episodes of the first season, it seemed to pessimistic.
but some of the other characters seem interesting.

The final twist was rather interesting, to me it was one of the very rare case where things get more interesting has the anime goes one. Your not really supposed to understand most of whats going on.

I dunno if I would say pessimistic, I'd say it's more that there's no judgement being cast, good or bad.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Well that was fun. spoiler[I find this new idol girl quite interesting as her role also involves a serial killer. Now for what's worth, I think the show might expand more on her story.] I hope so because this could turn into something a lot bigger.

And lol @ the spoiler[yuri kiss between the twins.] That was priceless this episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Looks like spoiler[Ruri] is that monster killer..
It does make sense.
spoiler[Yuhei] got himself in an interesting situation.
spoiler[Doctor] got himself into a mess as well.
The twins are spoiler[Izaya's sisters]?! No way!
That makes things even more interesting.
Fun episode ^^
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Ohhhh nooooo~~

Now I'm concerned about this series, and not because of the content, but the execution. The worst way you could describe Durarara is "a bunch of scenes, that's it", but that's what I remember of this, I wasn't inmersed in the least. I didn't care about Ruri and their scenes felt so hollow and bland because her introduction was so "here's the character, here's the exposition of her backstory, here's her talk with Yuhei that is 'my turn of saying lines' -> 'your turn of saying lines' -> '...' without pauses, movement of characters or pacing depending of what they say, here's Ruri being described as happy because of being able of existing happy monsters even though the scene was 10 seconds long and you are not inmersed".

I know Durarara is very explicit and direct, but this was too much, it feels like a checklist and transcribing pages of the books instead of a passionated project. The same with the insane number of scenes to the point I don't know which one of the scenes of Celty in the motorbike happened before or after the other (Celty attacked by gangsters and a bag with a person inside, or Celty returning Ruri to home). I know this goes further with the things out of order a la Baccano, but I don't think it's a good sign to be confused in the same episode about when those happen and thinking "I dunno and I dunno if I should try to care to order them". And the rewinds are getting annoying now.

Come on team, give the special touch you gave in the first season! Don't turn this in a checklist of scenes Confused

In terms of content, I'm also turned off by what Yuhei said about being a unfeeling man. I mean, he has that face, but I always thought that was part of the joke and he had a lot of scenes where he was honestly lovely with his brother and it doesn't look like he's the cause that he's like this (he was like this before Shizuo awakened that ability), but now they come to the point of calling him 'another monster'. Please deliver on that because that exposition talk didn't do it in the least.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount you have pretty much taken the words directly out of my mouth. I feel confused but not like with the first season because there was a clear goal where as with this series I cannot tell you what the main focus is and where it is heading - I initially thought it was going to be about discovering who Hollywood Killer was but spoiler[that was reviled in a very bland way.] Was spoiler[she shown in previous episodes as I had no clue who she was] but I felt like we were meant to know more before this episode?

The one positive in this series is that Celty is getting much more screen time as I felt her story was the only one that didn't have a satisfying ending in the first series and I had hoped for a second season to clear that up.

Hopefully there will be a little more focus in the coming episodes; I'm not expecting a big sign stating "We are going this way!" as the first season's charm was from being a little sporadic but I would like a reason to watch other than lets see what situation these enjoyable characters get into today.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not see anything different about how this season is being handled compared to first. Literally every stylistic and narrative element makes DRRR!! is all there. Just like the first season it is only confusing at glance until everything starts connecting through the city's denizens.

Ruri had already appeared in the first season where she known as popular idol but like a lot of the cast was she initially a background character before she became more important in this arc. This first time we actually learn what she is like.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
^ Ruri only appeared in episode 6 when they tell that Saburo wanted Kaztano to give him good entrances to her concert. Which is so minor almost everybody forget about the idol even existed or is the same as this one. She doesn't even appear in these two previous episodes, the beginning of this episode is her debut.

Stylisticly the show is still the same, it's the same team after all, and we are glad. The problem is the pacing and focus. Just check out episodes like 7 or 8 dedicated to characters and see how many gestures they do that you can see, how there are specific pauses to let sink in some emotions of the characters, and how the narration is present but moderated, to balance the classical "show VS tell". Then compare with this episode where Ruri's backstory was totally exposition (from a voice narrator I didn't even know who was) and her conversation with Kasuka was 'my line' 'your line' 'my line' 'your line' {loop}. Things like those seem minimal, but they really change your perception of some scenes and the care put into it.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
^ Ruri only appeared in episode 6 when they tell that Saburo wanted Kaztano to give him good entrances to her concert. Which is so minor almost everybody forget about the idol even existed or is the same as this one. She doesn't even appear in these two previous episodes, the beginning of this episode is her debut.

And? Most characters in DRRR are quite minor and still manage to play important roles at some point like Mika Harmina or Haruna Neikawa. This not your typical show where only a small subset characters do anything as it if world just revolves around them. It is one where any character become the a leading one depending on the situation. If you don't get this then don't understand how DRRR!! works.

Quote:
Stylisticly the show is still the same, it's the same team after all, and we are glad. The problem is the pacing and focus. Just check out episodes like 7 or 8 dedicated to characters and see how many gestures they do that you can see, how there are specific pauses to let sink in some emotions of the characters, and how the narration is present but moderated, to balance the classical "show VS tell". Then compare with this episode where Ruri's backstory was totally exposition (from a voice narrator I didn't even know who was) and her conversation with Kasuka was 'my line' 'your line' 'my line' 'your line' {loop}. Things like those seem minimal, but they really change your perception of some scenes and the care put into it.

Most backstories of DRRR!! are told through narrative exposition. Celty's for example was done entirely just like that as was Anri. Nothing new at all. I don't understand what you mean by the "my line and my line" or how is any different from any other conversations in this series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
Ohhhh nooooo~~

Now I'm concerned about this series, and not because of the content, but the execution. The worst way you could describe Durarara is "a bunch of scenes, that's it", but that's what I remember of this, I wasn't inmersed in the least. I didn't care about Ruri and their scenes felt so hollow and bland because her introduction was so "here's the character, here's the exposition of her backstory, here's her talk with Yuhei that is 'my turn of saying lines' -> 'your turn of saying lines' -> '...' without pauses, movement of characters or pacing depending of what they say, here's Ruri being described as happy because of being able of existing happy monsters even though the scene was 10 seconds long and you are not inmersed".

I know Durarara is very explicit and direct, but this was too much, it feels like a checklist and transcribing pages of the books instead of a passionated project. The same with the insane number of scenes to the point I don't know which one of the scenes of Celty in the motorbike happened before or after the other (Celty attacked by gangsters and a bag with a person inside, or Celty returning Ruri to home). I know this goes further with the things out of order a la Baccano, but I don't think it's a good sign to be confused in the same episode about when those happen and thinking "I dunno and I dunno if I should try to care to order them". And the rewinds are getting annoying now.

Come on team, give the special touch you gave in the first season! Don't turn this in a checklist of scenes Confused

In terms of content, I'm also turned off by what Yuhei said about being a unfeeling man. I mean, he has that face, but I always thought that was part of the joke and he had a lot of scenes where he was honestly lovely with his brother and it doesn't look like he's the cause that he's like this (he was like this before Shizuo awakened that ability), but now they come to the point of calling him 'another monster'. Please deliver on that because that exposition talk didn't do it in the least.

That's basically how Durarara (and Baccano, for that matter) rolls man, a collection of random, separate, events and characters that are thrown at you and make no sense until the storyline brings them together later and everything clicks.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
The twins are spoiler[Izaya's sisters]?! No way!

Not sure why that's spoilers, nor how you got to this point without knowing this. Episode 25 of season 1 emphasized pretty heavily who they were, as well as the fact that they're obsessed with Shizuo's brother. Pretty sure episode 1 or 2 made it clear, too.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
The change of pacing might be more due to the fact that this season essentially lack a main character, there's nothing grounding the story, no central point we can link event/character too. Ryuugamine worked well as an audience insert character, but he's practically non existent in this series. At the same time were being introduced to dozen of new character in few episodes along with a bunch of flash back and time rewind.

Personally I don't mind execution too much, I mostly dislike how all the character have just too much random but related stuff thrown into them. It feel like there trying really hard to make there character interesting without putting any thought into making stuff hold together "Oh and this character is an idol, also some make up artist (really make up artist to idol…), also some mysterious monster, also a serial killer and then she get healed by this guy and also his dad hired her and…" there's just too much being thrown into it. For one it's making the world feel small and shallow. In S1 the city felt big and it always had something happening in the background but by building a plot entirely out of coincidence it feel like it's small and we've already seen most of it. For two by stacking the character so heavily it make all there different feature feel unimportant, was it really important that this girl was an idol? Couldn't that have been dropped? Compare that to how Celty was introduced in S1 and how hollywood-san is introduced here. It feel like if Celty had been introduced in S2 she would also have been an opera maestro on the week end, a regular at the russian sushi and attending Ryuugamine school.

I don't dislike it, but it feel like a step down to S1
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

We go back for the 3rd time and see how these events really are connecting all of these characters.

I don't get the complaints that this is different from first season, the formulae is really similar, how the characters are all interconnected is like the major theme of this series. The next major theme would be monsters, it kind of becomes a manner of what makes a monster, whether it is an inhuman body, the lack of emotions, the desire to kill, or the act of killing, or the willingness to pull strings for one's own benefit. What we got was spoiler[her quickly put where she sits on that scale], no doubt there will be more that will come out.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:50 am Reply with quote
My problem is not content-wise (I said that about Kasuka but it's more 'show me that better because I don't have it clear', not the concept itself).

Quote:
That's basically how Durarara (and Baccano, for that matter) rolls man, a collection of random, separate, events and characters that are thrown at you and make no sense until the storyline brings them together later and everything clicks.

Actually Durarara is not all that crazy, it's much more simple and character-driven and relaxed than Baccano. Which is good for me, I like its own style. Here I found it a little too unfocused to show us that many unrelated scenes. I hope they all come together tightly.

Quote:
And? Most characters in DRRR are quite minor and still manage to play important roles at some point like Mika Harmina or Haruna Neikawa. This not your typical show where only a small subset characters do anything as it if world just revolves around them. It is one where any character become the a leading one depending on the situation. If you don't get this then don't understand how DRRR!! works.

You didn't understand me, this is not "a minor is important", it's "this minor character was unexistent [because there is not a single scene that would make you remember this character other than the OP and ED] and suddenly they hammer us in our head to care".

The diference is, you know Mika. You start wondering about her with her design when she is 'Celty', when Anri describes her you get the clues Anri was giving when she talked with Seiji , and besides informing us about Mika it's also a scene who describes Anri's personality and interactions between she and Mikado and Kida. That way, you have presented Mika's character very naturally, and even a minor character like her has a lot of little scenes that make you think "oh, yes, it's her". Haruna the same, you know who she is because they are talking vaguely about her when his father describes his twisted family situation or Izaya bothers him with hat, the backstory of the male stalker before all that happened and they throw hints to show how dangerous he is, etc. Then she appears and you are like "oh, yes, it's her".

Quote:
Most backstories of DRRR!! are told through narrative exposition. Celty's for example was done entirely just like that as was Anri. Nothing new at all. I don't understand what you mean by the "my line and my line" or how is any different from any other conversations in this series.

You saw a lot of little scenes of Shizuo before they tell his backstory. Same with Celty. Same with Anri. Even those expositions are much more interestingly put together than "this new character you never heard about is A, does B, happened because of C despite D".

"My line" "Your line" is basically a formulaic conversation where right after one character says his/her line the other one continues right after, no movement, no certain pauses to set up emtoions of characters depending of what they are saying in certain parts of the conversation, anything. Which can work in some conversations, but in a scene meant to be more instropective and giving us the thoughts and connection of those two characters, when it's played this auto-pilot you don't know if you actually should care. After all that talk I was "meh" and when Ruri starts crying was weird, the scene wasn't building to that and I still didn't care.

One day I have to try to edit a famous scene from a show and make it this way and show how those little details really help to suck you into the scenes and how bland they can look without it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:11 am Reply with quote
But do we actually know spoiler[Ruri's] backstory? What we do know is that she is spoiler[both Hollywood and a popular idol], what we largely learned was what the public know about her and some undisclosed history with spoiler[losing her family home]. Is knowing that she is bospoiler[th a serial killer and an idol with brief mention that she has a past] so different to learning that Celty was a Dullahan and a transporter? That Shizuo is super strong and a bartender.

There were things like different characters being part of certain groups, family relations, experiences from where they previously lived, and a secret that might explain why someone is special, that is the stuff usually said at a later date.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14